So what do you call that formation?

macroboy

At first I was like WTH? But then I saw what we were doing with it, and it made more sense - First of all, I think one of them dropped back to a shallow middle zone a couple times and Compton or someone would come blazing in at Cousins. The Steelers and Patriots would both drive Manning crazy because neither the QB or OLine knows who's coming and who isn't. It's good to know our coaches are still students of the game and will throw a wrinkle in there every now and then.

Then, throw in the inside-out stunts and we have ourselves one hell of a pass rush. Somewhat amazing considering both Crick and Randle were out.

When I see NFL teams with no down linemen, it's usually a 1-5-5 formation. The one lineman is lined up over the center (standing up) with 5 linebackers hovering around the line. So QBs don't know who is rushing. Ours seemed like a regular 4-3 only with our linemen standing. I'll have to rewatch it though.

My buddy said that Rob Ryan does it at Dallas and calls it the amoeba defense. Take that for what it's worth. Seemed to work pretty well!

He does. Dom Capers calls his version the psycho package. The Steelers and Patriots do the same thing. But like I said when I see NFL teams line up with no down lineman it's usually a 1-5-5. Ours seemed different.