Get ready for another decade of mediocrity

WYHusk

My prediction: Bo will continue to do just a good enough job (9-3, 10-2) in the regular season to keep his job a few more years. We will not make a BCS bowl with Bo as HC, barring some very flukey happenings, because Bo's teams will be outcoached in at least two games a year (often against opponents with losing records) and we will get to spend the next few years watching him not learn on the job.

Then the new HC comes in, takes 3-4 years to get HIS program going; boom, there goes your decade, and it could be longer if Bo's eventual replacement isn't any better.

In the meantime, Husker fans, get used to this scintillating selection of bowl games:

I would love - love - to be proved wrong the next few years. But I'm not very hopeful.

My prediction: Bo will continue to do just a good enough job (9-3, 10-2) in the regular season to keep his job a few more years. We will not make a BCS bowl with Bo as HC, barring some very flukey happenings, because Bo's teams will be outcoached in at least two games a year (often against opponents with losing records) and we will get to spend the next few years watching him not learn on the job.

Kind of like Osborne's coaching years.

And in this day and age, as I've said elsewhere, Bo's not going to get 22 years to win a MNC. Hence, the upcoming decade of mediocrity.

Then the new HC comes in, takes 3-4 years to get HIS program going; boom, there goes your decade, and it could be longer if Bo's eventual replacement isn't any better.

In the meantime, Husker fans, get used to this scintillating selection of bowl games:

I would love - love - to be proved wrong the next few years. But I'm not very hopeful.

:facepalm:

SheepdogMark's Prediction: WYHusk isn't an active poster on Huskerboard in two years. :-)

And in this day and age, as I've said elsewhere, Bo's not going to get 22 years to win a MNC. Hence, the upcoming decade of mediocrity.

Ah...so in other words, you expect perfection each season and nothing less. You expect a national championship caliber team each and every year. You expect a 95 'Skers type team all season long. Yeah...your expections are realistic. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Love how we win and Bo's god, we lose and it's fire Bo. Would you have fired T.O. before the national championships? I think people take for granted how good 9 and 10 win seasons are.

Yea, that seems to be the way of it around here. Husker fans crack me up. I'll take 10 wins each year, 9 regular season and a bowl game.

Teams move in and out of the "elite" category over the decades. Some fall hard upon coaching changes or NCAA infractions. Oklahoma in the 90's comes to mind. Michigan, Florida, Florida State and Miami are others that slipped and are trying to reenter. It is much easier to fall out than get back in. During the Callahan/Petersen years our program nearly went under. Only our reputation in the minds of media and fans kept us in the national picture. I too had hopes that as soon as our offense caught up with our dynamic defenses in Pelini's first few years we'd be well on the way to consistant top 5 finishes in national polls. We've made the jump from a 5-7 team to consistant 9-3 records. I'd say we are in the 3rd tier of college football right now. The step to elite level on par with Alabama and LSU will require better recruiting, better coaching and a lot of good fortune.

I'm afraid if we cut our losses now with Bo and staff we'll face the same problems Petersen had in finding a high level replacement. Who wants to take over a program where they fire 9 to 10 win coaches? I'm confident Bo can become a better head coach just like TO did. As much as we like to think TO always fielded dominant teams that was not the case. Yes we always seemed to share the Big 8 Title but in bowl games we often struggled. Of TO's 25 year head coaching career we were in the top tier maybe 7 or 8 of those years. The great 5 year run from 93 to 97 has us blinded to reality. We as Husker Nation will have to support our Huskers the best we can. The flip side has far more serious consequences than holding on to what we have and making it better.

• Fire 2