Nebraska is #1 in the Big Ten...

When it comes to allowing sacks. Good job by the offensive line and Taylor Martinez.

We also rank #2 in the Big Ten in Rushing, Scoring Offense, and Kickoff returns.

Believe it or not. But we rank #20 out of 120 teams on Pass Defense, avg. 188 yds per game. Pass Efficiency Defense ranks #33.

Where we hurt? How about Rushing Defense #101 in the nation avg. 160 yds per game. How about sacks? #81 avg. 1.5 sacks per game.

And here is the real stinger. Ranked #114 for TFL. avg. 4 per game. Ranked dead last in the Big Ten. Last year we were ranked #112.

And here is the real stinger. Ranked #114 for TFL. avg. 4 per game. Ranked dead last in the Big Ten. Last year we were ranked #112.

This one doesnt surprise me.. We lack the ability to line up and hit te other team in the mouth. Our defensive scheme doesnt call for playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage for some reason.. SMH.

A lot of this is because of our defensive scheme. We have a very 'soft' scheme in the sense that we don't blitz a lot and we play soft zone. We also play too much 4-3 which isn't bad but if you don't blitz somebody or mix up the coverage, we are allowing the offense to block our 4 down linemen with 5 possibly 6 if they use a TE/FB. It's a numbers game in my opinion and we seem to be spread out too thin when it comes to defense. I'd personally love to see more blitzing and coverage mix ups. We are wide open in the middle almost always.

A lot of this is because of our defensive scheme. We have a very 'soft' scheme in the sense that we don't blitz a lot and we play soft zone. We also play too much 4-3 which isn't bad but if you don't blitz somebody or mix up the coverage, we are allowing the offense to block our 4 down linemen with 5 possibly 6 if they use a TE/FB. It's a numbers game in my opinion and we seem to be spread out too thin when it comes to defense. I'd personally love to see more blitzing and coverage mix ups. We are wide open in the middle almost always.

There was a big controversy in Jacksonville over Mel Tucker running a 4-3 instead of a 3-4, but ultimately it came down to just not having the right personnel to run a 3-4. I'm guessing it's the same reason why we're not running a 3-4. I don't think we have either the depth at linebacker or the right guys for the job.

Well, let me clarify 4-3. We run a true 4-3 and it's balanced. We rarely bring different looks and different blitzers. Occasionally we'll walk up a CB or S but it's very rare. Our defense is built around the zone and it puts a lot of pressure on the back 7 because with 4 down linemen, it will always be hard to get pressure.

There was a big controversy in Jacksonville over Mel Tucker running a 4-3 instead of a 3-4, but ultimately it came down to just not having the right personnel to run a 3-4. I'm guessing it's the same reason why we're not running a 3-4. I don't think we have either the depth at linebacker or the right guys for the job.

I think Eric Martin would be a perfect fit for a 3-4 OLB

This one doesnt surprise me.. We lack the ability to line up and hit te other team in the mouth. Our defensive scheme doesnt call for playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage for some reason.. SMH.

Don't forget 96th in 3rd down efficiency

:yeah

Our front can't stop the run, and can't get any pressure on th q/b. Carl doesn't like to blitz. Somebody needs to tell him Suh's gone.

GBR!!!