Why is recruiting so difficult?

FLU

You have to remember we do have a really young team right now. here are the fresh/sophs listed on the two-deep. I know this is partially due to injuries, but it is what it is: http://huskermax.com...th_current.html

Offense: Bell, SIrles, Rodriquez, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Moore, Enunwa, Turner, Martinez, Carnes, Zimmerer, Green, Heard, Abdullah

Defense: Ankrah, Rome, Guy, Roach, Green, Jean-Baptiste, Osborne, Evans

Obviously we look pretty solid going forward on offense. That line has great young talent, including three Nebraska kids and a fourth (Moore) with strong ties.

Defense, not so good. The only young LB we have is walk-on roach, but that's where the staff is recruiting a bunch of talent at that position.

If we can get some good influx in defensive talent/have some guys really step up in two years, this could be a really solid squad. Look at that offense! Bo will fix the D.

You put Carnes on that list like he'll play, or is that a sore subject around here.

When Bo arrived almost 4 years ago he was at a disadvantage in recruiting. A high number of Calahan's recruits decided to jump ship. In that class would have been Blaine Gabbert and others. Bo's 2nd class was a bit better but recruits still had no reason to desire playing here. His 3rd class...the current freshmen are a very talented group...moreso if Starling had decided to play football. While they have talent they are making freshman mistakes and attempting to learn on the fly. Our weakness this year is linebackers and suddenly the D line. We have good D line talent that is redshirting and linebackers is a point of emphasis this year with the very small recruiting class. Like others have said good coaching is a must for a long time till recruiting catches up.

It's all about the location of the talent. I was looking at 2013 recruits on the 24/7 site and saw that Georgia already has 4 commits for the 2013 (1-5*, 2-4*, 1-NR)...Like me, you might say..."How the [bleep] do we only have 8 recruits signed this year when they already have 4 for next year???" Um...because they have a plethora of 4/5* kids that have been going to Georgia games since they were little kids, dreaming of playing for the 'Dawgs one day. We just don't have the same level of high school talent that other [southern] states have, plain and simple....

When Bo arrived almost 4 years ago he was at a disadvantage in recruiting. A high number of Calahan's recruits decided to jump ship. In that class would have been Blaine Gabbert and others. Bo's 2nd class was a bit better but recruits still had no reason to desire playing here. His 3rd class...the current freshmen are a very talented group...moreso if Starling had decided to play football. While they have talent they are making freshman mistakes and attempting to learn on the fly. Our weakness this year is linebackers and suddenly the D line. We have good D line talent that is redshirting and linebackers is a point of emphasis this year with the very small recruiting class. Like others have said good coaching is a must for a long time till recruiting catches up.

It's why those programs that fire their coach every three-four years never get any better. No stability. Look what Osborne's doing with Doc. At other programs he'd be gone. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet in the short term if you really believe in someone for the long-term.

• Fire 1
It's all about the location of the talent. I was looking at 2013 recruits on the 24/7 site and saw that Georgia already has 4 commits for the 2013 (1-5*, 2-4*, 1-NR)...Like me, you might say..."How the [bleep] do we only have 8 recruits signed this year when they already have 4 for next year???" Um...because they have a plethora of 4/5* kids that have been going to Georgia games since they were little kids, dreaming of playing for the 'Dawgs one day. We just don't have the same level of high school talent that other [southern] states have, plain and simple....

This is a good example. Living about a short drive from Athens it amazes me how much local talent they have on a yearly basis. They do lose their share of talent to other SEC schools BUT they still rake in eviable talent that would make us overjoyed. For as long as I've watched UGA (just as an observer), they have underachived IMO and don't use their athletes properly. So, although I'm preaching to the masses, it always isn't about stars.

This is a good example. Living about a short drive from Athens it amazes me how much local talent they have on a yearly basis. They do lose their share of talent to other SEC schools BUT they still rake in eviable talent that would make us overjoyed. For as long as I've watched UGA (just as an observer), they have underachived IMO and don't use their athletes properly. So, although I'm preaching to the masses, it always isn't about stars.

I wasn't even trying to single out Georgia either...lots of schools (SEC especially) have already started on next year. I believe Alabama already has 3 commits and Auburn, Florida, Michigan, tA&M and Florida State are in the same boat. We have to travel to their backyards and convince a young man to leave his home, family, friends and daily comforts to come to Nebraska and start over. To some kids, the fresh start is a relief, but the majority I would say want to be close to home.

We have built in disadvantages in the recruiting field and I think we've done pretty well with what we've got so far. This class will work itself out, but the longer we take to finish this class, the farther behind we get on next year.......and the next year........ and the next year.....

Just to make another point...If football recruiting is so difficult, considering our history and acomplishments, how hard is it for Doc Sadler and his staff??? He can't tell a kid, "Come play for Nebraska...we'll help you make it to the NBA" (HAHAHA!!) or "We are a place of history with our...0 NCAA tournament wins"...oh wait...

With what Doc has to work with, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job, and I think Dr. Tom understands. Sorry to change the subject, but I thought it was fair to show the bball staff some love.

I wasn't even trying to single out Georgia either...lots of schools (SEC especially) have already started on next year. I believe Alabama already has 3 commits and Auburn, Florida, Michigan, tA&M and Florida State are in the same boat. We have to travel to their backyards and convince a young man to leave his home, family, friends and daily comforts to come to Nebraska and start over. To some kids, the fresh start is a relief, but the majority I would say want to be close to home.

We have built in disadvantages in the recruiting field and I think we've done pretty well with what we've got so far. This class will work itself out, but the longer we take to finish this class, the farther behind we get on next year.......and the next year........ and the next year.....

I know you weren't singling them out, just sharing some of my thoughts. Our job is a lot harder than other programs but it is what it is.

I know you weren't singling them out, just sharing some of my thoughts. Our job is a lot harder than other programs but it is what it is.

Hahaha the Bo Pelini response "it is what it is".... good stuff. GBR!!

All those schools recruit year around as well.

TO was successful because he did something different. He never landed star power WR's because we mostly just used them to block. We were able to pick up high powered running backs because we were a run dominant team. QB is basically the same. We almost had our pick of the litter of running QB's because every other college was trying their luck with the fun'n gun. On offense we concentrated a lot of effort on the pipeline and running backs. I don't follow high school football at all, but I am wondering if the quality of players in Lincoln and Omaha just isn't what it used to be. We had a lot of in-state talent on those NC teams.

Yes, we certainly did. Almost our whole 95 offense was Nebraska kids. As you say, we had an identity then too which helped boatloads in getting OLinemen & rbs.

I wish we could bring back Bill Busch (the one & "only" Cally guy)......man, that guy was a recruiting machine.

GBR!!

Our linemen were from Neb, none of the skill positions came from the state. That is part of the problem, this state only puts out one maybe two D1 caliber players a year. Most of that team was from NJ, Florida, and California.

Just to make another point...If football recruiting is so difficult, considering our history and acomplishments, how hard is it for Doc Sadler and his staff??? He can't tell a kid, "Come play for Nebraska...we'll help you make it to the NBA" (HAHAHA!!) or "We are a place of history with our...0 NCAA tournament wins"...oh wait...

With what Doc has to work with, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job, and I think Dr. Tom understands. Sorry to change the subject, but I thought it was fair to show the bball staff some love.

Doc's biggest problem was that NU didn't have practice facilities like every other D1 college did. Now he does and it should help recruiting.

Recruiting only matter when there is development of players as well. Wisconsin has had 11 4* recruits and no 5* recruits in the past 4 recruiting classes, yet they are a much better club than NU right now. Stanford is #4 in the nation currently with 22 4* recruits and no 5* during the same period. Boise State has less than both I'm sure, and I highly doubt anybody wants to play K-State this year either. Okie State has 17 4* and no 5* players in the past 4 cycles.

For comparison, Nebraska has had 26 4* and 1 5* in that time period. Nebraska's problem is development and scheme changes more than recruiting itself.

Granted, we aren't the only team that underachieves with good recruits (Texas, Clemson, Florida State, S Carolina). I have faith in Bo that he can keep the staff a little more continuous and that development will begin to come around for this team.

You have to remember we do have a really young team right now. here are the fresh/sophs listed on the two-deep. I know this is partially due to injuries, but it is what it is: http://huskermax.com...th_current.html

Offense: Bell, SIrles, Rodriquez, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Moore, Enunwa, Turner, Martinez, Carnes, Zimmerer, Green, Heard, Abdullah

Defense: Ankrah, Rome, Guy, Roach, Green, Jean-Baptiste, Osborne, Evans

Obviously we look pretty solid going forward on offense. That line has great young talent, including three Nebraska kids and a fourth (Moore) with strong ties.

Defense, not so good. The only young LB we have is walk-on roach, but that's where the staff is recruiting a bunch of talent at that position.

If we can get some good influx in defensive talent/have some guys really step up in two years, this could be a really solid squad. Look at that offense! Bo will fix the D.

You put Carnes on that list like he'll play, or is that a sore subject around here.

Um, no. He said 2 deeps. As in starter and backup. Martinez goes down, Carnes plays. What exactly are you trying to say? Arguing that someone (Armstrong or other) will come in and start after Taylor graduates just aides the argument that the person who posted that is trying to make about depth.