Why is recruiting so difficult?

FLU

You have to remember we do have a really young team right now. here are the fresh/sophs listed on the two-deep. I know this is partially due to injuries, but it is what it is: http://huskermax.com...th_current.html

Offense: Bell, SIrles, Rodriquez, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Moore, Enunwa, Turner, Martinez, Carnes, Zimmerer, Green, Heard, Abdullah

Defense: Ankrah, Rome, Guy, Roach, Green, Jean-Baptiste, Osborne, Evans

Obviously we look pretty solid going forward on offense. That line has great young talent, including three Nebraska kids and a fourth (Moore) with strong ties.

Defense, not so good. The only young LB we have is walk-on roach, but that's where the staff is recruiting a bunch of talent at that position.

If we can get some good influx in defensive talent/have some guys really step up in two years, this could be a really solid squad. Look at that offense! Bo will fix the D.

You put Carnes on that list like he'll play, or is that a sore subject around here.

Um, no. He said 2 deeps. As in starter and backup. Martinez goes down, Carnes plays. What exactly are you trying to say? Arguing that someone (Armstrong or other) will come in and start after Taylor graduates just aides the argument that the person who posted that is trying to make about depth.

Not quite sure what good that did, but if you think we're set at recruting then by all means keep arguing with me.

You have to remember we do have a really young team right now. here are the fresh/sophs listed on the two-deep. I know this is partially due to injuries, but it is what it is: http://huskermax.com...th_current.html

Offense: Bell, SIrles, Rodriquez, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Moore, Enunwa, Turner, Martinez, Carnes, Zimmerer, Green, Heard, Abdullah

Defense: Ankrah, Rome, Guy, Roach, Green, Jean-Baptiste, Osborne, Evans

Obviously we look pretty solid going forward on offense. That line has great young talent, including three Nebraska kids and a fourth (Moore) with strong ties.

Defense, not so good. The only young LB we have is walk-on roach, but that's where the staff is recruiting a bunch of talent at that position.

If we can get some good influx in defensive talent/have some guys really step up in two years, this could be a really solid squad. Look at that offense! Bo will fix the D.

You put Carnes on that list like he'll play, or is that a sore subject around here.

Um, no. He said 2 deeps. As in starter and backup. Martinez goes down, Carnes plays. What exactly are you trying to say? Arguing that someone (Armstrong or other) will come in and start after Taylor graduates just aides the argument that the person who posted that is trying to make about depth.

Not quite sure what good that did, but if you think we're set at recruting then by all means keep arguing with me.

Just pointing out that the guys this staff has brought in during the last couple years are good enough to be in the top-two of thier positions, beating out older guys from earlier recruiting classes they had.

I know it's easier to recruit Nebraska football players than Nebraska basketball players, but I remember a business trip I was on for work in New Jersey. The hotel that I was staying at had the nations best HS players staying there for a clinic close by. I struck up a conversation with a group of them in the lobby and asked which colleges they were planning on going to and playing for. Most mentioned the big eastern basketball schools. I mentioned that they should check out Nebraska. I received silence and very blank stares in return.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the hardest things to do is to get kids to go away from a school they grew up rooting for. And the first thing good programs do is make sure the best talent in state stays home. Look at it this way, if there is a 5* kid at say Omaha Burke, we will all say NU had damned well better get him in. Its the same elsewhere, so we tend to get the kids that didn't get the offer from the hometown team. And many of these southern states have a several schools instate. So Bo and Co. need to not have many misses. They need to be better than most other powers at finding the 3* who will out work and outplay the 5* It happens alot, wait for the list of All Americans to come out, every year there are as many 3s as there are 5s on it.

winning is part recruits, but part coaching, take a look at the state of Texas. UT is now 7-5 with class after class after class of top 10 talent, and Baylor is 9-3.

yea, i agree, why don,t we have more recruits now.....iowa state has i think 24, but mostly 3 star recruits...nu is trying to get better quality players, which are tougher to get....then all the hype nu got at the begiining of the season, and then some of the bad games we had, the northwestern game really hurt us as for recruiting.. also, i just don,t think the coaches have the charm to grab players..the head coach is no tom osborn, familys wanted there kids to play for tom, he was like a father figure..just my 2 cents worth....joining the big 10 has probably hurt us in texas, were we getting a lot of recruits...why can,t we recruit florida, iowa state grabs many players from down there? and now we lost a recruit, deon jones , decided on lsu...

One of the hardest things to do is to get kids to go away from a school they grew up rooting for. And the first thing good programs do is make sure the best talent in state stays home. Look at it this way, if there is a 5* kid at say Omaha Burke, we will all say NU had damned well better get him in. Its the same elsewhere, so we tend to get the kids that didn't get the offer from the hometown team. And many of these southern states have a several schools instate. So Bo and Co. need to not have many misses. They need to be better than most other powers at finding the 3* who will out work and outplay the 5* It happens alot, wait for the list of All Americans to come out, every year there are as many 3s as there are 5s on it.

winning is part recruits, but part coaching, take a look at the state of Texas. UT is now 7-5 with class after class after class of top 10 talent, and Baylor is 9-3.

And every year there are around 3,000 3* recruits, but only what...25 5* recruits. That means 2,950 3* recruits won't be all americans.

And every year there are around 3,000 3* recruits, but only what...25 5* recruits. That means 2,950 3* recruits won't be all americans.

agree...and look what synder at kansas state does with mostly 3a kids,,,,,,shows ya what a good coach can do.....got to be coach of the year