Hats Off to Bo if we win at PSU

Ronznotes

I think we will have an uphill battle....I know how we played in TO's last game....lights out...I expect to get a monumental effort from PSU and fans. As someone else said if they lose they will blame it on the distractions, but for us IDK....I do KNOW this is going to be one Awkward sporting event, and it really sucks that it happened to be us as the "other" team involved.

I don't get why people keep comparing this to the Solich/Bo and Dr. Tom's last day of coaching--in both those instances, the teams had the better part of a month to cycle through emotions/grief, prepare for the game, and get mentally square.

These kids at Penn State just found out their (figurehead) coach was gone Wednesday, and the media has been badgering players since Monday PM/Tuesday AM on this. These coaches are just as worried about their own bacon (especially if they know something) as they are getting ready for DoNU. These kids are seeing riots on their campus and their coaches being remotely involved with and covering up for alleged pedophiles. All in three to four days time.

Penn State may play above their station for a quarter, maybe almost a half, because of emotion and a 'win one for the gipper' mentality. But emotion comes in waves, and with every peak, there's a valley, and that valley is likely to come and come hard when their lack of preparation meets their mental and emotional exhaustion in the second half of the game.

Plus, don't forget that 1) Penn State can drop a game, be the front runner of the Leaders, and *still* drop one more game, and 2) they still have tOSU and Wisconsin on deck. Don't tell me that Penn State hasn't been looking ahead to Wisky and tOSU this week (if they've looked or prepared for anything) as those two games are vastly more important than this one.

Could go either way,; however whatever happens i do not envy the position this NU football team is in this weekend. Win and it's bcuz there was too much distraction, lose and things might get ugly. It has to be hard for the team to maintain perspective considering this information is everywhere you look lately. I will root for NU and hope for the win. It will be nice to just get past this game and everything that is being associated with it.

The world wants PSU to win. Not because they hate us, but because it would be so great for those players and that team to come through in a time like this. Story wise, it would be very good. We're in a bit of a tough spot here. We have to be focused beyond belief. And we have to want it more than they do, which will be tough. We have to go into a hostile environment with the attitude of punching in the mouth the beaten-down kids that everyone is rooting for.

The world wants PSU to win. Not because they hate us, but because it would be so great for those players and that team to come through in a time like this. Story wise, it would be very good. We're in a bit of a tough spot here. We have to be focused beyond belief. And we have to want it more than they do, which will be tough. We have to go into a hostile environment with the attitude of punching in the mouth the beaten-down kids that everyone is rooting for.

Technically you should be right, but I think you give people too much credit. Penn State has been the butt of a lot of jokes this week and they will be for a long, looooong time. I don't know how many people will be rooting for them.

Where are you getting this indication from? I'm not seeing anything like this. I'm not seeing any sentiment that Paterno was unfairly pushed out. While I don't think whatever happened on campus Wednesday night was as bad as the media is portraying it, public perception is that the kids were off base and not focused at all on the real problem. All told, I'm seeing sympathy for the abused kids and that's it. None for Penn State.

So I'm wondering what you are reading or watching that shows the rest of the nation is pulling for PSU. This isn't anything at all like Virginia Tech after the campus shootings or A&M after the bonfire tragedy.

Oh I don't mean sympathy for Paterno - but for the student athletes who are blameless in this whole thing. Is anybody out there really rooting against the team?

No, but I don't know why anyone would root for them, any more than they do now. I don't see anyone feeling sorry for them, nor should anyone. This didn't happen to them. There is a media circus, but it's not focused on them at all.

My other point about this is that people tend to root for (or against) a program, all-inclusive. Failing to get rid of McQueary (I know he's not coaching this Saturday) doesn't help. Neither did the campus scene on Wednesday. If anything, I think people are rooting against PSU to send a message that football isn't the priority.

I think we will have an uphill battle....I know how we played in TO's last game....lights out...I expect to get a monumental effort from PSU and fans. As someone else said if they lose they will blame it on the distractions, but for us IDK....I do KNOW this is going to be one Awkward sporting event, and it really sucks that it happened to be us as the "other" team involved.

T.O.s departure is hardly the same as Joes. Although nothing will suprise me, PSU has is on its 3rd HC, or acting HC in as many days. If DONU plays prepared on a normal gameday(absent scandel), we take them by 10, and I would expect at least that Saturday

I certainly can't argue the departures are not the same ...but either way they were both Loved and revered by the players about the same or so it seems right or wrong...I just think we have a difficult assignment this weekend, and I don't share your optimism...sorry for that, but I do hope you are right.

Wouldn't be shocked if this one of the more conservative games of the year, and possilby sloppiest as well. Penn State is quite conservative and I look for our offense to be very conservative especially if Bo wants more rest for the defense, and the sloppy play could come from a major lack of focus from both teams.