Question for you, strigori. I was thinking about creating a new character and going with a thief, focusing on sneak and archery. As an assassin, and somebody who doesn't have a lot of armor, are you able to easily avoid large confrontations and how do you fare against dragons?

Furthermore, when you can't avoid large confrontations, how do you survive given your relatively weak defenses?

Your sneak skill will go up pretty quick, and I would recommend investing in most of the perks in the tree, I only took one point in the Stealth perk though, I never felt I needed any more ranks there. And Shadow warrior was a situational skill, The Backstab arm should be your #1 priority, the damage bonuses from those perks make the whole build viable.

When you get close to a dungeon or fortress, you pretty much stay in sneak from there on out, and generally speaking, I ended up waiting til night to start my assault on most places with more than two enemies. By being careful and using Aura Whisper a lot I was able to control my confrontations most of the time. Often my approach to a room would be Aura Whisper to see where the targets were, snipe one with with my bow, and back up around a corner and wait for hidden to show back up, usually only takes a few seconds. If backs were turned to me, or I could get around behind someone, Backstab was my best friend, especially after getting the Assassin's Blade perk, with a good dagger most things go down with one hit. It gets even more powerful if you follow the Dark Brotherhood quest line too.

When I couldn't get into a sneak position, and many quests have spots like this, it became a damage sprint for me. I didn't worry about blocking and just dual wielded swords for those encounters, and made good use of the power attacks and poisons. Poisons and potions definitely help, even without spending perks in the tree. Some fights I ended up popping healing potions like candy. I liked having a paralyze poison or weapon with that enchanted on it for a helping hand in some really tough fights.

Dragons were not that big an issue, just using the bow, and a resist necklace of the right kind for them. Just don't let them get close to you, or you get to see the cool animations where they eat, or throw you.

This, and Nightingale Armor set is a requisite for a thief playthrough. Start working out of Riften and help the Guild back on its feet...

I put these tips to good use on this play around. I'm having a lot more fun playing the 'thief' style. There's something ridiculously satisfying about getting one shot sniper kills, or getting that 15x damage kill with a blade. It's amazing.

Do either of you guys find it suitable to put points into smithing, in order to increase the damage output of your bows and upgrade magic weapons? I already know all about smithing from playing with my warrior (iron daggers ftw), but I wasn't sure if this is something I should look into for my thief. My bow is definitely my main weapon of choice unless a backstab opportunity presents itself. (Currently using Nightingale Bow because of extra magic damage output).

Question for you, strigori. I was thinking about creating a new character and going with a thief, focusing on sneak and archery. As an assassin, and somebody who doesn't have a lot of armor, are you able to easily avoid large confrontations and how do you fare against dragons?

Furthermore, when you can't avoid large confrontations, how do you survive given your relatively weak defenses?

Your sneak skill will go up pretty quick, and I would recommend investing in most of the perks in the tree, I only took one point in the Stealth perk though, I never felt I needed any more ranks there. And Shadow warrior was a situational skill, The Backstab arm should be your #1 priority, the damage bonuses from those perks make the whole build viable.

When you get close to a dungeon or fortress, you pretty much stay in sneak from there on out, and generally speaking, I ended up waiting til night to start my assault on most places with more than two enemies. By being careful and using Aura Whisper a lot I was able to control my confrontations most of the time. Often my approach to a room would be Aura Whisper to see where the targets were, snipe one with with my bow, and back up around a corner and wait for hidden to show back up, usually only takes a few seconds. If backs were turned to me, or I could get around behind someone, Backstab was my best friend, especially after getting the Assassin's Blade perk, with a good dagger most things go down with one hit. It gets even more powerful if you follow the Dark Brotherhood quest line too.

When I couldn't get into a sneak position, and many quests have spots like this, it became a damage sprint for me. I didn't worry about blocking and just dual wielded swords for those encounters, and made good use of the power attacks and poisons. Poisons and potions definitely help, even without spending perks in the tree. Some fights I ended up popping healing potions like candy. I liked having a paralyze poison or weapon with that enchanted on it for a helping hand in some really tough fights.

Dragons were not that big an issue, just using the bow, and a resist necklace of the right kind for them. Just don't let them get close to you, or you get to see the cool animations where they eat, or throw you.

This, and Nightingale Armor set is a requisite for a thief playthrough. Start working out of Riften and help the Guild back on its feet...

I put these tips to good use on this play around. I'm having a lot more fun playing the 'thief' style. There's something ridiculously satisfying about getting one shot sniper kills, or getting that 15x damage kill with a blade. It's amazing.

Do either of you guys find it suitable to put points into smithing, in order to increase the damage output of your bows and upgrade magic weapons? I already know all about smithing from playing with my warrior (iron daggers ftw), but I wasn't sure if this is something I should look into for my thief. My bow is definitely my main weapon of choice unless a backstab opportunity presents itself. (Currently using Nightingale Bow because of extra magic damage output).

It is absolutely worth it. The damage increase is so massive it would limit your bow damage so dramatically to not do it. Especially on higher levels, where even with upgraded bows and 3x bow shots things still take 3 sneak shots to kill.

It is absolutely worth it. The damage increase is so massive it would limit your bow damage so dramatically to not do it. Especially on higher levels, where even with upgraded bows and 3x bow shots things still take 3 sneak shots to kill.

yes_logo.png

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

How many people find themselves getting way too distracted with side quests? I think I've maybe done three or four main story line missions, but I'm already level 37 and am dominating every quest or enemy I come across (fully upgraded Daedric armor, weapons, most of my basic warrior skills are fully upgraded, etc.).

Me. I actually think I might do the main quests really late. I love the Riften stuff.

I've spent most of the 160+ saved hours on my character os side quests. I'm lv 52 and the only quest line I've finished is the Thieves Guild.

Ditto. My ADD kicks in and I leave. That, and I didn't finish the Brotherhood quest because I didn't want to 'get infected'.

Found the best staff ever...the sanguine rose. Best battle-buddy ever.

Try getting the Dawn Star and using it in a tomb. Set a whole room of zombies (10+) on fire with one critical hit and shot them back. Room looked like a bomb went off (which it did)...

• 6 months later...

Has anyone else got the Dawn Guard DLC for the game? I dowloaded it but haven't started the quest line yet. Was wondering what your opinions were on it?

Haven't started it yet, but I've heard it's good overall. The storyline is a bit 'meh' (biggest complaint being that they recycled existing environments--nothing new, save for some of the baddies you face), but the vampire/werewolf skill tree additions are great, and new dragon shouts, spells, weapons, and dragons (random Legendary Dragon spawns after level 50?) are added to the overall game, so that's a good thing.

Oh, and there are some additional options and people that show up at the Thieves Guild and Companions Hall. And you can now change your character's appearance for some septims, too, now.

I don't know if it's $20 good, but it's good, worthwhile DLC.

I wish... unfortunately I have it for PS3. :(

After the Fallout 3/Fallout:NV debacles on that platform, I'm shocked anyone still buys Bethesda games on a PS3.

Has anyone else got the Dawn Guard DLC for the game? I dowloaded it but haven't started the quest line yet. Was wondering what your opinions were on it?

Haven't started it yet, but I've heard it's good overall. The storyline is a bit 'meh' (biggest complaint being that they recycled existing environments--nothing new, save for some of the baddies you face), but the vampire/werewolf skill tree additions are great, and new dragon shouts, spells, weapons, and dragons (random Legendary Dragon spawns after level 50?) are added to the overall game, so that's a good thing.

Oh, and there are some additional options and people that show up at the Thieves Guild and Companions Hall. And you can now change your character's appearance for some septims, too, now.

After the Fallout 3/Fallout:NV debacles on that platform, I'm shocked anyone still buys Bethesda games on a PS3.

g1344975352903306709.jpg

Thanks Matt. I played the hell out of Oblivion and some DLC was good. I got the inside track on the friggin horse armor and never bought it. I was hoping they would have had something like the Orrery to get. I have it for XBOX3 and I purchased the house in Whiterun but every time I go purchase the alchemy set(I did it three times) It is never there. I am beginning to think it's one of the glitches and may or may not be remidied.

Navyskr--check the Skyrim Wiki pages on the 'tubes. If you check under the name of the house in Whiterun (f**k it all, I should know--I'm there mostly), there may be a bugs section that will detail the problem and possibly how to work around it.

And Stu, it's not like we didn't see this coming--Bethesda is a hard-core Windows supporter, and programming for the 360 is akin to programming for a crappy PC (read: easy). PS3 on the other hand...well, their hardware devs had their heads completely up their arse when they put together the architecture. It would be an extremely powerful system...had they not gimped the RAM constraints so bad.

Don't get me wrong though--I have a PS3 and 360. It's just whenever I have a choice, I go the 360 (or now, PC) route.

IMHO, a not-so-simple solution: Screw both Sony and Microsoft (somewhat), build yourself a cheap (but powerful) gaming PC, and enjoy, among other things, Skyrim for $29.99 on Steam plus all of their workshop mods. :) I fully intend to finish my 360 playthrough and then switch to PC to start a new character and DLC.

Navyskr--check the Skyrim Wiki pages on the 'tubes. If you check under the name of the house in Whiterun (f**k it all, I should know--I'm there mostly), there may be a bugs section that will detail the problem and possibly how to work around it. And Stu, it's not like we didn't see this coming--Bethesda is a hard-core Windows supporter, and programming for the 360 is akin to programming for a crappy PC (read: easy). PS3 on the other hand...well, their hardware devs had their heads completely up their arse when they put together the architecture. It would be an extremely powerful system...had they not gimped the RAM constraints so bad. Don't get me wrong though--I have a PS3 and 360. It's just whenever I have a choice, I go the 360 (or now, PC) route. IMHO, a not-so-simple solution: Screw both Sony and Microsoft (somewhat), build yourself a cheap (but powerful) gaming PC, and enjoy, among other things, Skyrim for $29.99 on Steam plus all of their workshop mods. :) I fully intend to finish my 360 playthrough and then switch to PC to start a new character and DLC.

Matt. Thanks for the reply. I've been down this road and haven't found anything yet on it. Not to say I just haven't found the right page yet. Either way it's no biggie to me personally. I tend to find the game has plenty of alchemist tables and enchantment tables throughout the whole game so I am not to totally bummed. I agree with the PS3 and XBOX360 conclusion above but with me living overseas right now I will wait until I am state side to purchase the parts to make a gaming computer. I don't trust USPS to deliver everything in pristine condition.