Has the OL improved or regressed?

IDK..... just a couple of weeks ago after MSU everyone was singing their praises and just 2 games later we seem to be back in Fresno form where the OL gets stuffed for the most part and only has a few good/decent plays.

What the hell is going on? I know PSU had a stout DL but there were many times in this game where the OL esp. Long, Caputo and Choi where getting OWNED. It's been a while where I've seen running plays get blown up before they even had a chance. 4th and 2? I would have almost felt better if we punted or kicked a FG.

IMO it's lack of talent. We clearly don't have B1G size and speed in the trenches. I think that's why see the DL get absolutely no pressure. We're just not big enough going up against B1G OL. Did Bo just whiff on recruiting the last 3 years or is this how B12 talent looks?

The most experience we have on that inexperienced o-line is Caputo and Hardrick......I think the offensive line has been one of the shining stars of the year...hence the number 1 or 2 is it? ranking in rushing in the BIG10 conference. The Penn St. d-line is VERY GOOD. We did what we had to do to get the W.

I might add...Martinez doesn't get sacked very often as well...the pass blocking is solid.

Agree, pass pro looks good but if you can't run block well you're not going to win big games

Very true...we need the o-line to block well...they have been consistent more times than not...BUT the NW game was just straight pitiful and pissed me off to no end. That is a discipline issue...AHH!!!

Wisconsin, who I think most would agree has the best offensive line in the B1G, averages 322 pounds on the offensive line. Nebraska averages 308 pounds. For the most part, we are smaller than the best o-line in the conference, but if you take out our weakest link size-wise (275 pound Caputo) we're not drastically different. In fact, we come in at 316 pounds. Yes, we're smaller, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think our lines need to beef up on both sides of the ball. We all knew the B1G would be different, and now we need to adjust to succeed.

Furthermore, Nebraska has two sophomores on the line getting their first real year of experience, senior Hardrick (his second year seeing playing time for us after JUCO transfer), senior Marcel Jones (struggled with injuries every year he's been here) and then a very undersized center in Mike Caputo. Also, almost every back-up for these starters is either a freshman or some guy equally as inexperienced/young. Choi and Thompson are the only back ups that are older than the listed starter.

When you sum that all up, it does not scream effectiveness or talent. We've had some really odd offensive line issues here in the last half decade completely unrelated to performance on the field (odd injuries, players transferring/getting kicked out, etc.) All this said, I don't think there's any doubt we need to get bigger and better at some positions, but as I believe I have pointed out there are some pretty valid reasons for why this unit isn't the greatest right now.

(Also, I'm still undecided on Cotton. If this unit isn't playing damn good football in two years, I think it should be time to evaluate that coaching position.)

I might add...Martinez doesn't get sacked very often as well...the pass blocking is solid.

Agree, pass pro looks good but if you can't run block well you're not going to win big games

I would say yesterdays game was pretty big, and although not always pretty we won, and had 180+ rushing yards on a D that was rated pretty highly against the run. We have injuries and youth and I know you don't like that as an excuse it is what it is.

IDK..... just a couple of weeks ago after MSU everyone was singing their praises and just 2 games later we seem to be back in Fresno form where the OL gets stuffed for the most part and only has a few good/decent plays.

What the hell is going on? I know PSU had a stout DL but there were many times in this game where the OL esp. Long, Caputo and Choi where getting OWNED. It's been a while where I've seen running plays get blown up before they even had a chance. 4th and 2? I would have almost felt better if we punted or kicked a FG.

IMO it's lack of talent. We clearly don't have B1G size and speed in the trenches. I think that's why see the DL get absolutely no pressure. We're just not big enough going up against B1G OL. Did Bo just whiff on recruiting the last 3 years or is this how B12 talent looks?

Well, to be fair, Bo was recruiting for a Big XII schedule up until the past year. We're a smaller group up front than most OLs in the Big 10. I would characterize the offensive line as inconsistent. They pass block really well and for the most part have blocked on the run pretty well too. They have those moments where you're like, "Whoa! What a push by the OL! Look at all the running room!" And then there are times when you want to do this :facepalm:

They are a fairly okay unit, and I think better than they have been in recent years.

PSU has one of the best DT tandems this year. They were disruptive and manhandled us several times. This year has seen some tough matchups with good defensive teams like OSU, Michigan State and Penn State. Overall our offense has performed well against them. Imagine how we might have fared last year!

Considering all of the youth we have on the line, the future looks promising.

I think they have been fairly bi-polar so far this year. They'll have a very good game, MSU, and then have a poor game, Northwestern. I was never happy with Barney staying on staff this year and I hope they do much better over the next two games and we are gonna need it. If they don't I think it's time for Barney to hit the bricks.

The OP just pointed out the area of the OLine that has been getting blown up all year. The Guard/Center gaps have been bad. Long started out very good suprisingly but has struggled the last two weeks. Caputo, I give props for his effort and heart, but he gets manhandled pretty badly against top DTs. And unfortunately he'll see another stud in Mike Martin this Saturday. IMO Choi starting instead of ARod shores up the line quite a bit and is a better look for NU.

Alright... Now, for those who claim inexperience is the problem: Aren't we setting ourselves up for the same problem next year? We're going to lose 3/5 of our starting lines to graduation, and while Tyler Moore will hopefully fill in one of the tackle spots, that still leaves us two current starters short. So we will likely be breaking in new guys next year as well.

Pensick is likely to step in at center, unless he really struggles this offseason and the coaches deem it necessary to move another guy (likely a guard) to center. If the coaches are so in love with A-Rod and Spencer Long and guard, I wouldn't mind seeing Choi step in at center, if they can teach a panda to snap :D.

Who would you guys like to see at the other tackle spot next year? I know Qvale is a behemoth, but it is well known he's struggled with his footwork and thus spends most of his time riding pine now. Do we go back to Sirles? I seem to remember Jake Cotton getting pretty good reviews before he got hurt, although I believe he was playing guard. I also think Brandon Thompson is a name floating around out there that could fill in capably...

I agree with the assessment on Caputo, something I eluded to up top. He's extremely undersized for a center at a top division one program. He holds his own, for the most part, but I think the line will progress better once he has graduated after this year. Heart and willpower only gets you so far - you still need to be physically capable.

I can't look at the line and pinpoint one spot that I think has been more consistent than the others this year. Hardrick is probably the best one imo, but he's made mistakes like everybody else does and like everybody else will. However, I still think the offensive line this year has looked more consistent than lines the last couple of years when Watson was here and Cotton was the sole line coach.

Alright... Now, for those who claim inexperience is the problem: Aren't we setting ourselves up for the same problem next year? We're going to lose 3/5 of our starting lines to graduation, and while Tyler Moore will hopefully fill in one of the tackle spots, that still leaves us two current starters short. So we will likely be breaking in new guys next year as well.

I wouldn't say we are. Reason being - there's guys with talent and experience coming back, something that hasn't been there the last few years. We lose Hardrick, but Sirles will take his place and he has a lot of potential and experience. Rodriguez and Choi will both be back (good competition there). Pensick is still undersized and I'd like to see him add another 20 pounds or so, but he has experience as well. Long, Qvale and Thompson are all back next year at right guard (good competition there). Lastly, we'll have Tyler Moore back as you mentioned.

We lose Caputo and Hardrick, but especially in Hardrick's case we have a guy coming back who has seen a lot of playing time in Sirles.

I've said this before - it's my honest belief that linemen don't reach their potential until they're juniors and seniors, probably more-so than any other position group save the d-line. Many of those guys we have sitting in the wings are sophomores, some with a lot of experience like Sirles. This is also why I've been saying that if this line isn't one of the better ones in the nation in two years (When Sirles, Rodriguez, Pensick and Long are all seniors) then it's time to re-evaluate the coaching at that position.