This Season Seems Hollow . . .

Something has been missing from this season. It just seems hollow. I think the Wisconsin and Penn State games just emotionally wiped us out. I spent an incredible amount of energy getting up for Wisconsin, only to be knocked out cold. That game showed us that we were nowhere near the top. Sad. Also, the weirdness around Penn State made the season more strange. It just seems like something has been missing from this season. The reality is that I wanted us to compete for the National Championship, but we had way too much change and inexperience to get there. Don't get me wrong: glad to be in the Big 10 and love the new venues, but something has been missing. Still several cool games to play, so maybe that will change. Next year is aiming to be something special. Would like to end this year on a good note.

We set such high goals I think. Set obtainable goals, bringing less chance for failure, and build those goals to reach the top. We set ourselves up for this every single year. That I guess is our job. Win every game, win every NC, no chance of it not happening in August.

We all knew it would be hard this year. We took on a beginner OC, changed some others around. Bought into the hype of being one of the top defenses in the country on paper.

We need honesty coming from the coaching staff, and an actual report of what goes on in practice, honesty about injuries, would help us understand why certain things happen the way they do.

We are a young team, and with that comes inconsistency, but should never bring lack of motivation. I think we all see this as a major problem with this program right now.

That is why I have lowered my expectations of Nebraska at this time. I do not expect a Big Championship this year. I only hope that we win the rest of the games we play, end this season on a positive note, and hope next year will be better.. These young kids need to end knowing they are improving. Take a little less this year to strengthen their drive for next year.

I think it seems a little like that just because we don't have a history yet with these folks. I always kind of felt the same way about the Texas schools when the B12 started. Give us 5 years, some painful losses, familiarity with the Big 10 teams, etc and it will get better. Right now I feel like a whole year of non-conference play has happened.

It's hollow because, as another poster already pointed out, it's the same season we have had the last two or three years. And now we are dependent of not only winning out our remaining games, but for Mich St to also drop one against Indiana (one of the worst football teams I have ever seen) or Northwestern.

So, I guess it's probably unlike the last two years in that we will most likely not make the championship game and go to a somewhat meaningless bowl game.

Something has been missing from this season. It just seems hollow. I think the Wisconsin and Penn State games just emotionally wiped us out. I spent an incredible amount of energy getting up for Wisconsin, only to be knocked out cold. That game showed us that we were nowhere near the top. Sad. Also, the weirdness around Penn State made the season more strange. It just seems like something has been missing from this season. The reality is that I wanted us to compete for the National Championship, but we had way too much change and inexperience to get there. Don't get me wrong: glad to be in the Big 10 and love the new venues, but something has been missing. Still several cool games to play, so maybe that will change. Next year is aiming to be something special. Would like to end this year on a good note.

Wow! Are you sure you are not my alter ego? :)

I have been thinking about this ever since the WI loss.... and more so since NW. The PSU game did nothing to change that feeling except reinforce the fact that we are NOT the team I thought we'd be back in Sept (esp. with all the talk about NU being the fav. to win the B1GC).... Not to mention that all the talk since Bo got here was that "we're making progress, etc".

Even if we win these next 2, we end up in the Cap1 bowl.... uuummmm..... playing a good team I guess. Sorry - I'm not buying into anymore hype or "best case" scenarios of ending up in a BCS or B1GC. Don't want to expend anymore energy hoping that "NW beats MSU"... or a bunch of top1-10 teams lose and open the doors for an at-large BCS. Just not worth the brain cells. What makes this season seem so hollow now is that even the B1GC champion has no shot at the NC. So it's not like the whole nation will be watching to see which super B1G team ends up playing for all the marbles.....So as it stands right now, another ho hum inconsequential bowl game (and God forbid no losses to UM and IA!). The fact of the matter is that there is no progress - not when you're going 10-3/10-4 for 4 straight years. Progress = winning championships or at the very least playing in big time BCS bowls!

Amazing - I was thinking about starting this exact same thread this morning!

it seems hollow because we have had essentially the same season for the past three years. it is like groundhog day, except it spans over 4 months.

Great point. True.

I have to say. I'm on board with both of you. We found a way to make sure we are not considered a top program in the country again by losing at home to Northwestern. I think something attributing to this hollow feeling this season is just the lack of emotion by this team. We just don't seem to get pumped like the old Huskers used to.

I am looking at a potential 10-2 season....that is something to be proud about and will bring about a spark of optimism for the bowl game and also next year. We go 10-2...I will be a very proud Husker fan....THAT IS progress.

I do want to see more fire out of our defense. It has been a bit more evident as the season goes on though. I saw some fire out of the team in the second half of the Penn St. game. I saw a bunch of players getting excited, fist pumping, getting riled up. We need more of that out of our defense...gotta play with emotion if we want to win out.

NEB needs that extra push....to bring the recruits to the program....if we go 10-2 and win in our bowl game...that may be the boost we need as a team, and the boost we need to land some top recruits.