Conference Scheduling

I just wanted to see what others thought about the way the SEC schedules & the way other conference's schedule their games. The SEC seems to put at least one cupcake team at the end of the season, compared to the way most teams do it by putting them at the begining. To me it seems like an advantage to schedule at least one of them close to the end of the season. It would act almost like a 2nd bi-week. It offers a low stress game where you can get some guys who may be banged up a rest for the finial push of the season. Look at Alabama this week. They are playing Georgia Southern before their big rivaly game with Auburn to finish the regular season. It sure would be nice to have Tenn-Chatt or Wyoming this week to get some guys back in the lineup.

The downside to that is that you have one less prep game before you enter conference play. You may still be getting a new QB ready, or gelling a line, and suddenly you may have a major conference game in September. Not every Big 10 team is going to get to open the conference with Indiana. Arkansas lost their only game so far this year, to Alabama, in September, perhaps playing that game later might have helped them (though probably not). An early season loss is better than late season in the polls, but in conference standings a loss is a loss no matter when it comes.

The Big 10 doesn't seem to force all non-conference games before conference games. I looked back at Michigan's past schedules, and in 09 they played Delaware St in mid-October, and in 08 played (and lost to) Toledo around the same time. In 09 Ohio State played New Mexico St on Oct 31. Maybe you just have to ask.

In addition to this, you have conference (possibly marque) games during a time when everyone else is playing cup-cakes. The SEC is always prime-time early in the season because of this. Would you rather watch Alabama/Arkansas or Nebraska/Chatanooga? It also gives the SEC a couple of weekends where they are at a recruiting advantage. Kids want to go to the big time games - and the SEC is the only conference consistently playing those big-time games early in the year. If you were a recruit considering Arkansas/Nebraska would you rather go see them play Alabama or Chatanooga. There isn't much competition to get those recruits in on officials early in the year. There's a lot more competition for those officials as the year progresses though. I think it has a lot of advantages.

On the downside, if you're a team like Alabama that has 1 loss, and is trying to climb back up the polls - playing a team like Georgia Southern isn't helping them much.

Why not just have a late season bye?

I dont know that coaches/players would want a late season bye, even as much as they could use the rest. As a team youre in a rhythm and a routine of playing every week. A bye could slow you down and throw off timing a bit. I always thought Nebraska and oklahoma/Colorado looked a little sluggish for a quarter or so when each would have a bye before the Thanksgiving day. It seemed like the players took a little longer to get to game speed.

I dont know that coaches/players would want a late season bye, even as much as they could use the rest. As a team youre in a rhythm and a routine of playing every week. A bye could slow you down and throw off timing a bit. I always thought Nebraska and oklahoma/Colorado looked a little sluggish for a quarter or so when each would have a bye before the Thanksgiving day. It seemed like the players took a little longer to get to game speed.

That is so true.................(it may have even impacted Penn St last week, but hard to know with the other stuff swirling)..............It is similar to Bowl games where the team you get after a layoff often is not the same team you had at the end of the season. Especially true of timing offenses.......both heavy passing and our old option teams.

I am losing some faith in B1G leaders for various reasons. They continue to be slow to adapt to changing times. I guess it is a midwestern thing. They are only 12-16 years behind other conferences in adding a CCG. Not adding more teams is debateable. No night games in Nov is bad marketing. I doubt they will change their scheduling system. I am sure it pains some B1G leaders to not have the two months off between the season and bowl games.

I am losing some faith in B1G leaders for various reasons. They continue to be slow to adapt to changing times. I guess it is a midwestern thing. They are only 12-16 years behind other conferences in adding a CCG. Not adding more teams is debateable. No night games in Nov is bad marketing. I doubt they will change their scheduling system. I am sure it pains some B1G leaders to not have the two months off between the season and bowl games.

I agree 100% with the No November Night games rule. I realize its cold after dark in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan, but they are missing out on primetime viewership and just automatically giving it away to the Big 12 and SEC. Bottom line is people from the North are used to the elements. I've always enjoyed night games late in the season in Lincoln. I could care less if I have to wear Coveralls and 3 coats. That just makes it easier to hide the flask.

Agreed. Having a cupcake team come in still gets the starters some snaps & hopefully the backups some snaps to knock the rust off & be ready to jump back in.

Agreed. They could do away with some of the 11am games.

Well, go look at NFL team records after byes. Some are great and others are awful.

To me that is ALL coaching.

At any rate, it is a moot issue as it is unlikely to occur anytime soon.