Iowa fan perspective: Friday's game is a bit of a let down

Duffman

It's a little arrogant to claim this game means more to Iowegans than Huskers when you know the meltdown that would come should Nebraska find a way to lose this game. Since I live in Colorado I really cannot comment about Iowa fans but the unflattering description of the typical Hawkeye sounded amazingly like Buff fans to me (and that can't be good). The good thing about living in Colorado is that there really aren't many CU fans around. Hell on my cul de sac there are 5 homes of Husker fans and not 1 Buff household. And we're not on the border, we're 3 hours into the heart. I had some family in Iowa that were diehard Hawkeye fans and they always did seem a little preoccupied with Nebraska considering we rarely met on the field. I have to agree with Duffman on one thing; the Nebraska of the last 10 years does currently have a lot more in common with Iowa than it does with the 80's or 90's we cherish. That is a painful truth for both sides of the river. I hope it does grow into a legitimate rivalry (with a much better trophy). Only time will tell.

Senior day is always a big game, we got to send them out right. I dont have a problem playing Iowa every year on the friday after turkey day.

I wont jump to calling this a natural rivalry as i think those are born on the field over some time, but i think the fans will be more inclinded to assume the rivalry due to geography and it being the last regular season game of the year.

Anyways, welcome to the board Duff.

It's a little arrogant to claim this game means more to Iowegans than Huskers

Not at all. It's no more arrogant to think/say that than it was to say that the Colorado/Nebraska game meant more to Colorado players & fans than to Nebraska players and fans. Just got done listening to some Blackshirt from the late 90s-early Noughties on the radio last night, and he said the same thing - it wasn't a big deal to the Huskers, but it clearly was to Colorado.

Same goes for the Iowegians. It's not arrogant. It's reality.

I hate to burst your bubble but its foolish to say the game is more important to Iowa fans. The reality is its just another B10 game. I mean I guess there might be some who take more satisfaction from beating you guys than let's say Purdue, but its not like this game somehow defines our whole season just because its Nebraska. Obviously its a big game for both teams as its the last game and to some degree will go a long way in defining whether or not the season was successful, but thats more of a function of where it is in the schedule. I can tell you personally there are lots of games thst mean more to me, wisky, scUM, the real NU...

Maybe its a bigger issue on the western side of the state. The SW side in particular is pretty backwoods and hillbilly, its almost as bad as Nebraska. That said I guess I don't understand why being a Target for some fans is reason to look down on them, I take it as a compliment (btw it drives me nuts when Iowa fans do this to ISU also)

We have absolutely owned Iowa over the years, and if we win, we beat an average footbal team with an overpaid coach and a program that has done nothing of importance ever IMO, other then lose a bunch of Rose bowls in humiliating fashion.

Having said that I hope we beat Iowa, they are kind of like your little brother, and I hope we bring at least our C game this Saturday, that should be enough to win a close one which is what I expect. As the week goes on I am getting more and more confident, the more I read about the two teams.

Back in 2010 I was riding in a shuttle from Eppley and wearing a Husker sweatshirt with a couple Hawkeye fans who had just got back from the Orange Bowl. The football small talk commenced, one of them congratulated us for the beat down of Arizona and said were we screwed by Texas. Then I committed the cardinal sin of forgetting who Iowa had played in the Orange Bowl, and the couple seemed genuinely offended that I didn't know who they played or what the score wars.

Well anyway, I hate to generalize, but I imagine there are plenty of folks out there that feel the same way about us as we do about Texas...perhaps higher concentrations in that states to the right of and below Nebraska.

Maybe this game isn't the showdown people had hoped for but whoever wins will come away feeling like at least something was salvaged this season...and I'm 99% sure that will be us!

Maybe its a bigger issue on the western side of the state. The SW side in particular is pretty backwoods and hillbilly, its almost as bad as Nebraska.

If it makes you feel any better...I'm originally from SW Iowa and we always thought of the rest of you, especially those from DM to the Mississippi, as a bunch of dope smoking slackers on welfare...when we actually wasted time thinking about you at all.

I find it amusing that there is quite a bit of talk about "Nebraska losing this game" and none of "Iowa winning". Some of you act like the only way for Iowa to win is if Nebraska hands them the game. I got news for you, based solely on the on field performance this year Nebraska hasn't done much to distinguish themselves from Iowa. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Nebraska is the better team, and this is one of our least talented teams in the last 3-4 years.

I hate to burst your bubble but its foolish to say the game is more important to Iowa fans. The reality is its just another B10 game. I mean I guess there might be some who take more satisfaction from beating you guys than let's say Purdue, but its not like this game somehow defines our whole season just because its Nebraska. Obviously its a big game for both teams as its the last game and to some degree will go a long way in defining whether or not the season was successful, but thats more of a function of where it is in the schedule. I can tell you personally there are lots of games thst mean more to me, wisky, scUM, the real NU...

Maybe its a bigger issue on the western side of the state. The SW side in particular is pretty backwoods and hillbilly, its almost as bad as Nebraska. That said I guess I don't understand why being a Target for some fans is reason to look down on them, I take it as a compliment (btw it drives me nuts when Iowa fans do this to ISU also)

Trying to make friends huh................... eyeswear2allthatsholy

What's the fun of a rivalry week without a little smack talk :D, wait, you guys are too arrogant and don't consider us worthy of being a true rival, wait, I'm doing the smack thing again.

I find it amusing that there is quite a bit of talk about "Nebraska losing this game" and none of "Iowa winning". Some of you act like the only way for Iowa to win is if Nebraska hands them the game. I got news for you, based solely on the on field performance this year Nebraska hasn't done much to distinguish themselves from Iowa. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Nebraska is the better team, and this is one of our least talented teams in the last 3-4 years.

You got news for us? How about this news:

SOS Comparison:

Iowa - 55

Nebraska - 26

Record:

Iowa - 7-4

Nebraska - 8-3

So, against a twice-as-tough schedule, Nebraska has one more win than Iowa. I'd say that distinguishes us from the Hawkeyes a little bit. You had, by far, the easiest schedule in the Big Ten this year. Nebraska had the toughest schedule the Big Ten could dream up.

Iowa has a very good chance to win this game. But Nebraska has played a tougher road and done better than Iowa. Nebraska should win... but then again, Nebraska should have beaten Northwestern, should have been competitive against Michigan, should have done better against Fresno State, blah blah blah blah blah.....