Did anybody Listen to Tommie on ESPN in Omaha

MLB 51

yikes! I just un-activated no less than 25 posts in this thread about whether Tommie is a douchebag or not. Sorry, didn't think people should have to scroll through all of that just to get to the first follow-up to the topic. If your post was removed, you needn't take it the wrong way - just try to keep the thread on topic :)

Sieg Heil!

I listened to part of the interview, and he's some snippets I remember

-One reason Frazier thinks this team plays poorly is because of the amount of walk-ons/former walk-ons starting. Having 7-9 former walk-ons starting/playing at any one time is not good. Says Osborne new the importance of walk-ons...but also knew he wasn't going to be able to compete nationally unless he went out and got more athletic players from out of state.

-Frazier says David is great.

-Frazier thinks there's absolutely no reason to fire Pelini right now, but also says he can't remember a more inconsistent Nebraska team. Says it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. He also put to bed the idea that we need to recruit "Big 10" athletes. Frazier believes you just need to recruit athletes, and fit them to your scheme.

-Frazier says there's an obvious developmental problem within the team, saying that there's no reason we should have so many athletic guys sitting on the sidelines. He questions why all these walk-ons are starting and why we see a guy one week, only to see him disappear the next. Guys like Tyler Moore and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were some examples he mentioned.

He didn't say anything I didn't expect. I think Frazier is actually a pretty nice dude, granted, I've only ever talked to him in person once. As a radio personality, however, he has a very poor delivery. It isn't that he can't get his point across, but instead he says the same thing multiple times and also comes off very holier-than-thou (much like a Jason Peter does whom I have a very hard time listening to).

Ive said we get too many walk ons from Nebraska, but most of huskerboard frowns upon that statement

-One reason Frazier thinks this team plays poorly is because of the amount of walk-ons/former walk-ons starting. Having 7-9 former walk-ons starting/playing at any one time is not good. Says Osborne new the importance of walk-ons...but also knew he wasn't going to be able to compete nationally unless he went out and got more athletic players from out of state.

This is something I've been wondering about. Where did all of our scholarship guys disappear to? Have we done such a poor job in recruiting O-linemen that three walk-ons are among our best five? (well, former walk-ons. Choi, Long, Caputo).

There was an article written several months ago looking at our offensive line and the depth issues over the last several years. We've had players quit, transfer, leave for behavioral issues, not pan out, etc., and this was before Pelini even got here. For whatever reason, we haven't had great luck with linemen over the last several years.

As far as the walk-on issue, here's my guess as to what's happening. We recruit Player X who is a very athletic four star linebacker with a ton of potential. We also have walk-on Player Z, who isn't as athletic but is worth walk-on consideration. Player X has more tools at his disposal to be the better player, but Player Z gets the scheme and executes it with fewer mistakes. The coaches think what Player Z lacks in athleticism, he'll make up for in knowledge of the scheme, so they'll start Player Z.

For whatever reason, our walk-ons are meeting the coaches expectations more effectively than the players we recruit. We have severe youth and experience issues at many positions, so this might have something to do with why some of the "better" players are being beat out by walk-ons. Or, perhaps it's just as simple as the walk-on is better overall than the guy we recruited, and if that's the case then why did we recruit that guy and why is he not performing? If one guy is getting it, why isn't the other guy?

There are just too many questions right now, and all we can really do is speculate.

Sadly, Bo need look no further than David to realize his whole "let the guy who gets the schemes play over a more athletic guy" crap is wrong. Last year David only beat the single season tackling record, Big XII player of the year etc....... Bo continually commented, "yes he is good, but he can be better. He was out of position, missed some things blah, blah, blah" We all saw what David did this year and last. Not a fluke, the real deal. Let the athletes make plays with athleticism and attitude while the smart guys help them watch film.

yikes! I just un-activated no less than 25 posts in this thread about whether Tommie is a douchebag or not. Sorry, didn't think people should have to scroll through all of that just to get to the first follow-up to the topic. If your post was removed, you needn't take it the wrong way - just try to keep the thread on topic :)

I read this thread earlier today and just got home to post my reply about how Tommie had gone out of his way to get another football to sign so I could send it to my son in the Air Force....guess that isn't necessary now.

As for his comments, anytime somebody has Tommie's resume, I listen.

I read this thread earlier today and just got home to post my reply about how Tommie had gone out of his way to get another football to sign so I could send it to my son in the Air Force....guess that isn't necessary now.

All I know is that if Tommie's team was getting it's arse handed to them in the 4th quarter, he wouldn't be laughing and joking on the sidelines.

All I know is that if Tommie's team was getting it's arse handed to them in the 4th quarter, he wouldn't be laughing and joking on the sidelines.

And who exactly was this?

-Frazier says David is great.

-Frazier thinks there's absolutely no reason to fire Pelini right now, but also says he can't remember a more inconsistent Nebraska team. Says it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. He also put to bed the idea that we need to recruit "Big 10" athletes. Frazier believes you just need to recruit athletes, and fit them to your scheme.

-Frazier says there's an obvious developmental problem within the team, saying that there's no reason we should have so many athletic guys sitting on the sidelines. He questions why all these walk-ons are starting and why we see a guy one week, only to see him disappear the next. Guys like Tyler Moore and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were some examples he mentioned.

He didn't say anything I didn't expect. I think Frazier is actually a pretty nice dude, granted, I've only ever talked to him in person once. As a radio personality, however, he has a very poor delivery. It isn't that he can't get his point across, but instead he says the same thing multiple times and also comes off very holier-than-thou (much like a Jason Peter does whom I have a very hard time listening to).

Ive said we get too many walk ons from Nebraska, but most of huskerboard frowns upon that statement

don't feel bad, i was chastised when i mentioned there were over 75 nebraska kids on the roster.......i am betting 50 or more never play a snap.

if they do, well, what does that say about talent?.....yep, we have none....Solich days all over again.

If Bo had played backups then the outcry from the fanbase would be he gave up in the game. Because then the arguement Is at what time should you put in the backups.

There is a point when the backups need to go in. At the very least, during the last two possesions. If the game is over, you're not giving it up. It had been given up way earlier. The outcry would have happened if one of the starters would have gotten hurt. God forbid Taylor got hurt and Brion isn't the answer....then Bo would have been criticized for leaving him in. I think the starters should have sat down. Of course that is just my humble opionion.

Another thing Frazier discussed - he doesn't think Pelini has any coaches on staff that will challenge him. Frazier thinks Pelini needs people who are going to say 'no, you're wrong.' Frazier says that Saban has those guys, Stoops does too, etc., but Pelini doesn't.

Now, that's just one man's opinion, and I don't know how much stock to put in it if any. You'd think Carl, being the older brother, would still be able to lay the wood on Bo when needed regardless of Bo's position as head coach.

Yes, because Carl's vast knowledge of the head coaching position could teach Bo a thing or two. Young team, young coaches, young head coach. Give them some time. It can still come together.

Another thing Frazier discussed - he doesn't think Pelini has any coaches on staff that will challenge him. Frazier thinks Pelini needs people who are going to say 'no, you're wrong.' Frazier says that Saban has those guys, Stoops does too, etc., but Pelini doesn't.

Now, that's just one man's opinion, and I don't know how much stock to put in it if any. You'd think Carl, being the older brother, would still be able to lay the wood on Bo when needed regardless of Bo's position as head coach.

Yes, because Carl's vast knowledge of the head coaching position could teach Bo a thing or two. Young team, young coaches, young head coach. Give them some time. It can still come together.

That's not the point. You don't have to have more knowledge than a coach to still think a decision is wrong. Have you ever questioned a choice from someone who is more experienced than you?

Exactly. Just because Pelini is head coach doesn't mean he can't make mistakes.

Again, I specifically said I don't know how much stock to put into it, because I believe it'd be near impossible to evaluate. It was just one man's opinion, and not my own.

As far as the walk-on issue some of you mentioned above, many of those kids you mentioned are NOT on the 105 man roster, so they don't support your overall argument.

True to the Red: What do you mean give them some time, its been 4yrs, BC was gone after 4yrs, why do some people think Bo is such a great coach, i don't get it. Really, if you were a high school superstar, why would you want to play for Bo Pelini? We have no identity on offense, why would an offensive player want to play in our offense? He's constantly benching guys for whatever reason and they disappear. He plays our 5star RB Green just enough to burn his RS and he hasn't been seen since(won't be surprised if he transfers). The biggest reason we won't see any bigtime recruits is the fact they see him on TV and know he's a hothead. Who wants to play for a coach that is pissed off and yelling all the time. If his asst coaches aren't questioning some of his judgement, that tells me they are scared of him as well. Its not good for the program.