Did anybody Listen to Tommie on ESPN in Omaha

MLB 51

I actually listened to a lot of the show. Like all the old Husker he talked about how things were in the 90's. He spoke about how he noticed that there were no pads popping in pregame and he thought it had a direct correlation with the way the team tackled. He said Robinson was the best player on the field then correct and said offensive player and then said David was the best defensive player on the field.

As an earlier poster suggested he needs to work on his delivery. The only reason people are willing to listen to Tommy is because he won games he defiantly has a lot of trouble getting his point across.

I heard the last part of the interview. I agreed with him. The offense needs an identity. They need some plays they can run and block to perfection. When you get those down, then add some more. Instead of trying to be a jack of all trades, just do somethings really well. I think he referred to the option, and how that seems to work a few times but blow up more often.

I listened to part of the interview, and he's some snippets I remember

-One reason Frazier thinks this team plays poorly is because of the amount of walk-ons/former walk-ons starting. Having 7-9 former walk-ons starting/playing at any one time is not good. Says Osborne new the importance of walk-ons...but also knew he wasn't going to be able to compete nationally unless he went out and got more athletic players from out of state.

-Frazier says David is great.

-Frazier thinks there's absolutely no reason to fire Pelini right now, but also says he can't remember a more inconsistent Nebraska team. Says it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. He also put to bed the idea that we need to recruit "Big 10" athletes. Frazier believes you just need to recruit athletes, and fit them to your scheme.

-Frazier says there's an obvious developmental problem within the team, saying that there's no reason we should have so many athletic guys sitting on the sidelines. He questions why all these walk-ons are starting and why we see a guy one week, only to see him disappear the next. Guys like Tyler Moore and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were some examples he mentioned.

He didn't say anything I didn't expect. I think Frazier is actually a pretty nice dude, granted, I've only ever talked to him in person once. As a radio personality, however, he has a very poor delivery. It isn't that he can't get his point across, but instead he says the same thing multiple times and also comes off very holier-than-thou (much like a Jason Peter does whom I have a very hard time listening to).

I heard the last part of the interview. I agreed with him. The offense needs an identity. They need some plays they can run and block to perfection. When you get those down, then add some more. Instead of trying to be a jack of all trades, just do somethings really well. I think he referred to the option, and how that seems to work a few times but blow up more often.

yes, we are busy being multiple.

-One reason Frazier thinks this team plays poorly is because of the amount of walk-ons/former walk-ons starting. Having 7-9 former walk-ons starting/playing at any one time is not good. Says Osborne new the importance of walk-ons...but also knew he wasn't going to be able to compete nationally unless he went out and got more athletic players from out of state.

This is something I've been wondering about. Where did all of our scholarship guys disappear to? Have we done such a poor job in recruiting O-linemen that three walk-ons are among our best five? (well, former walk-ons. Choi, Long, Caputo).

This is something I've been wondering about. Where did all of our scholarship guys disappear to? Have we done such a poor job in recruiting O-linemen that three walk-ons are among our best five? (well, former walk-ons. Choi, Long, Caputo).

We've got a couple guys that redshirted this year that have dominated the d-line in practice as scout teamers. So the potential is there. Of course. . .thats not exactly saying a whole lot right now as the Dline is a stinker but from week one they were pretty much having their way with the d-line. If I were a coach that would been a big concern for me.

There was an article written several months ago looking at our offensive line and the depth issues over the last several years. We've had players quit, transfer, leave for behavioral issues, not pan out, etc., and this was before Pelini even got here. For whatever reason, we haven't had great luck with linemen over the last several years.

As far as the walk-on issue, here's my guess as to what's happening. We recruit Player X who is a very athletic four star linebacker with a ton of potential. We also have walk-on Player Z, who isn't as athletic but is worth walk-on consideration. Player X has more tools at his disposal to be the better player, but Player Z gets the scheme and executes it with fewer mistakes. The coaches think what Player Z lacks in athleticism, he'll make up for in knowledge of the scheme, so they'll start Player Z.

For whatever reason, our walk-ons are meeting the coaches expectations more effectively than the players we recruit. We have severe youth and experience issues at many positions, so this might have something to do with why some of the "better" players are being beat out by walk-ons. Or, perhaps it's just as simple as the walk-on is better overall than the guy we recruited, and if that's the case then why did we recruit that guy and why is he not performing? If one guy is getting it, why isn't the other guy?

There are just too many questions right now, and all we can really do is speculate.

Another thing Frazier discussed - he doesn't think Pelini has any coaches on staff that will challenge him. Frazier thinks Pelini needs people who are going to say 'no, you're wrong.' Frazier says that Saban has those guys, Stoops does too, etc., but Pelini doesn't.

Now, that's just one man's opinion, and I don't know how much stock to put in it if any. You'd think Carl, being the older brother, would still be able to lay the wood on Bo when needed regardless of Bo's position as head coach.

We've got a couple guys that redshirted this year that have dominated the d-line in practice as scout teamers. So the potential is there. Of course. . .thats not exactly saying a whole lot right now as the Dline is a stinker but from week one they were pretty much having their way with the d-line. If I were a coach that would been a big concern for me.

Was Barney Cotton a walk-on? I know he was great as an OL and a DL, and played four years without a redshirt, but is it possible that Barney is trying to find himself again?

yikes! I just un-activated no less than 25 posts in this thread about whether Tommie is a douchebag or not. Sorry, didn't think people should have to scroll through all of that just to get to the first follow-up to the topic. If your post was removed, you needn't take it the wrong way - just try to keep the thread on topic :)

Another thing Frazier discussed - he doesn't think Pelini has any coaches on staff that will challenge him. Frazier thinks Pelini needs people who are going to say 'no, you're wrong.' Frazier says that Saban has those guys, Stoops does too, etc., but Pelini doesn't.

Now, that's just one man's opinion, and I don't know how much stock to put in it if any. You'd think Carl, being the older brother, would still be able to lay the wood on Bo when needed regardless of Bo's position as head coach.

Enhance, I don't know how anyone would be able to objectively evaluate this statement, bu I definitely think it's more than just Tommie's opinion. There really might be something to it. The flip side of the coin is that the staff gets all on the same page...but I think you could still achieve that result with assistant coaches who are willing to challenge.

If you don't let them do that, you really are not letting them do their jobs, IMO.