Legitimacy of injuries becoming an issue

Hate to rain on the parade, but didn't Suh flop in a game his Junior(?) year against Okie Lite (?) and we applauded him for it?

Didn't Suh flop because someone else was hurt and couldn't get off the field fast enough?

Yes. Dennard was badly injured and a little dazed, and he wasn't leaving the field despite half the defense telling him to get off. Suh did fake an injury.

It's quite a different story with the Michigan/Michigan State injuries. Nobody was faking an injury in order to help out a legitimately injured teammate. Kovacs was smiling on the ground as the trainers came up to him. #5 for Michigan State got "injured" four or five times against us. The intent of the Michigan/Michigan State injuries was to slow down the game. The intent of Suh's injury was to help an injured teammate.

I didn't see him smiling, but he definitely flopped when he realized how out of position nearly everyone on the defense was. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but this was pretty ridiculous. I had to explain to my 10 year old why I was yelling at the TV.

Is it crappy football? Yep. Instead of complaining about it, if I'm a coach (offensive coordinator specifically), I'm going to do my best to exploit it. When the player goes down, a backup has to come in, someone who's cold from standing on the sidelines. I'm running a play specifically at that position EVERY TIME it happens to send a message. Hopefully in the process, a big play occurs because of a lesser player, out of position, mistackle, etc. and the opposing coach reconsiders this tactic.

whining about it just sends the wrong message.

Hate to rain on the parade, but didn't Suh flop in a game his Junior(?) year against Okie Lite (?) and we applauded him for it?

Didn't Suh flop because someone else was hurt and couldn't get off the field fast enough?

Yes. Dennard was badly injured and a little dazed, and he wasn't leaving the field despite half the defense telling him to get off. Suh did fake an injury.

It's quite a different story with the Michigan/Michigan State injuries. Nobody was faking an injury in order to help out a legitimately injured teammate. Kovacs was smiling on the ground as the trainers came up to him. #5 for Michigan State got "injured" four or five times against us. The intent of the Michigan/Michigan State injuries was to slow down the game. The intent of Suh's injury was to help an injured teammate.

I didn't see him smiling, but he definitely flopped when he realized how out of position nearly everyone on the defense was. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but this was pretty ridiculous. I had to explain to my 10 year old why I was yelling at the TV.

this is ridiculous, he was looking at the sideline the whole time while limping and motioning for them to send someone in for him, he wasn't even looking at the other players on defense at all until he saw Floyd motion for him to go down, your kicker also went down and could barely get off the field, yet miraculously came on to boom a 69 yard punt minutes later, in addition to kicking an XP and kickoff, was he pretending to be injured...?

these conspiracy theories are pretty strange...

this is ridiculous, he was looking at the sideline the whole time while limping and motioning for them to send someone in for him, he wasn't even looking at the other players on defense at all until he saw Floyd motion for him to go down, your kicker also went down and could barely get off the field, yet miraculously came on to boom a 69 yard punt minutes later, in addition to kicking an XP and kickoff, was he pretending to be injured...?

No, he was just embarassed he dropped that snap that was right in his chest. He thought Bo would go a little easier on him if he "got hurt".

No, he was just embarassed he dropped that snap that was right in his chest. He thought Bo would go a little easier on him if he "got hurt".

Maher, who made it off the field (I think...could be wrong) was nothing short of a 'I screwed up and now I'm hurt flop'. You most often see it when a receiver or DB drops a pass and they hop up holding a hammy.

I do think Bo has a lot more important things to worry about than this. It hurt the effort, but it didn't lose the game.

I don't see this as being an issue. We may not like that other teams are able to slow down our O by faking injuries but, until it is against the rules of the game, our coaches will simply have to learn to deal with it. As someone said earlier, go after the replacement player and try to exploit their D. Whining about it isn't going to help. I would like to see the NCAA turn it into a penalty but getting that call would be almost impossible and much harder than a dive in hockey. It is way too easy for a football player to fake a cramp etc. And a little off subject but I thought our hurry up might be able to operate at a little quicker pace than I have seen. Don't get me wrong, it is light years ahead of all the delay of game penalties we got last year but with all the check downs and play calling at the line, it is no where near Oregon fast. Not saying it needs to be all the time but there have been times when it would've been helpful.

Maher, who made it off the field (I think...could be wrong) was nothing short of a 'I screwed up and now I'm hurt flop'. You most often see it when a receiver or DB drops a pass and they hop up holding a hammy.

the way he went off the field, I thought he would be out for the rest of the game...

I know faking injuries happens, but I don't think it happened in the Kovacs situation, I think the fact that this happened once in the game to an often injured kid doesn't really speak to some sort of game plan that called for this tactic in case you guys went up tempo...

I know faking injuries happens, but I don't think it happened in the Kovacs situation, I think the fact that this happened once in the game to an often injured kid doesn't really speak to some sort of game plan that called for this tactic in case you guys went up tempo...

This isn't a big deal. Michigan kicked our butts up one side the field and down the other. The legitimacy of the win is NOT in question.

But Kovacs faked his injury. It was pretty obvious. You can point out any other injury you want, but that doesn't obviate the fact of what happened in the Kovacs situation. It is what it is.

Maher got hurt and came back yes but had plenty of time to walk off his injury. That is slightly different than getting hurt, limping or getting helped off the field. Than run back out there on the next play and act as if nothing happened. I'm not saying the Michigan player did this at all. But do remember the commentators stating he was standing there as if nothing was wrong then just before the snap he drops in pain.

I do agree that if someone gets hurt there should be a certain amount of time before they can go back onto the field of play. If they are actually hurt, then heading back out there can only make it worse.

Maher got hurt and came back yes but had plenty of time to walk off his injury. That is slightly different than getting hurt, limping or getting helped off the field. Than run back out there on the next play and act as if nothing happened. I'm not saying the Michigan player did this at all. But do remember the commentators stating he was standing there as if nothing was wrong then just before the snap he drops in pain.

I do agree that if someone gets hurt there should be a certain amount of time before they can go back onto the field of play. If they are actually hurt, then heading back out there can only make it worse.

Spielman was wrong, he was limping noticeably after the play, if people are basing this on Spielman's comments without out actually seeing it (I DLed it and watched from the time he was in on the tackle until he went off) they need to look again, people also have said he saw how out of position the defense was and decided to go down, that's weird because he was looking to the sidelines for someone to come in for him the whole time...

Spielman was wrong, he was limping noticeably after the play, if people are basing this on Spielman's comments without out actually seeing it (I DLed it and watched from the time he was in on the tackle until he went off) they need to look again, people also have said he saw how out of position the defense was and decided to go down, that's weird because he was looking to the sidelines for someone to come in for him the whole time...

It's sad that Meechicken was kicking our asses by three TDs and still felt the need to have their players flop on the ground. Very poor sportsmanship, bordering on cheating.

The fake injuries are a joke, and not just for Nebraska, the NCAA needs to do something because if disrupts the flow of the game in many ways. It happens far too much to be ignored, maybe sitting out a series perhaps 2 would help, then teams will need to designate a flopper, perhaps a person with a good back-up. Perhaps a 3 flop rule before a team goes into the penalty and players need to sit out, kindda like the basket ball fouls. They can track # of flops a team has left to give and TV could show flop replay's. It makes for better TV and a better game seems like a win win to me.

Happy Thanksgiving