In short, Carl is replaceable, but I do not think that JP is the guy....

What possible rational reason would there be to hire JP? He has never before done the job. Why hire a guy who has never been there when you can hire one who has been there and has performed very well while there? Man... I hope Bo does not make that mistake again and take that risk --- it is not necessary (or, at least, I think it is not necessary).

Hire someone who has been good elsewhere.

As much as I agree with you Robsker..... I can actually see a "little" positive with JP moving up.

First, I was on board early last week saying that when this all goes down, Bo needed to go after a big name DC for recruiting purposes.... I did and do not want a Doug Coleman...... nothing against him, just doesn't give "wow' factor in living rooms around the country.

But, with that said, Nebraska does NOT want to lose JP. He is one (if not the best) recruiters we have. We need him. If Carl or anyone else is "trying" to lure JP away from Nebraska, then promoting him to DC makes sense. No, he hasn't done this before.....but neither had Carl at the college level before coming to Lincoln....ANYONE that thinks that Carl is, was, and would have been the MASTERMIND behind our defensive schemes is fooling themselves. Yes, Carl makes the gameday "calls" (with input) and is the "figure head" on the sideline.....BUT Bo still plays a big part in the schemes and always will. Once a defensive guru, ALWAYS a defensive guru, especially if your butt is on the line...

Bo will run the defense with JP being the figure-head, title only DC... this would give JP a $$$ raise and resume building opportunity. Thus, he would still be here to help recruit (his BEST ASSET)...

Not exactly what I want.... Best case is that JP is happy and will stay regardless and Bo brings in big name ... (proven) DC

HANC

Excellent post with some very good points.

I agree that retaining JP has advantages. Now, if it were to come to pass as you suggest --- that JP is promoted and is a "figurehead" as Bo actually coaches the D --- and I admit that this is a reasonably high probability scenario.... we have problems. Let me explain.

As I see it, a head coach must: a) coach X's and O's, b) ensure that his players stay out of trouble, c) ensure that his players go to class/graduate, d) run a clean program --- all of which Bo does well --- and must also, e) manage the roster well, f) motivate his players to play hard, g) hire/fire/mentor and hold accountable his assistant coaches who aid him in all that he does, h) deal with the press/be an ambassador for the program --- none of which Bo does well. The HC must also recruit (and lead recruiting efforts through his assistants) which i am not sure how well (or how poorly) Bo has done. My point is this --- if Bo is to develop as a HC and become what NU needs him to be, he MUST improve dramatically in areas e-h listed earlier --- and that takes time, effort, and focus. IF BO IS BOTH THE HC AND THE EFFECTIVE DC --- carrying a "figurehead" --- be that person JP or anyone else --- it will dilute what Bo should be doing --- a HC should be a HC --- he should not do 2 jobs --- it is better to do one job well than to do two jobs less than well.

Hire a real DC.

Now, your point is, however, well taken. The ideal would be to get a true, experienced DC and let him do his job --- and let Bo focus on his job as HC (shoring up an array of deficiencies) --- and retain JP as well. Not asking for too much, am I?!

What possible rational reason would there be to hire JP? He has never before done the job. Why hire a guy who has never been there when you can hire one who has been there and has performed very well while there? Man... I hope Bo does not make that mistake again and take that risk --- it is not necessary (or, at least, I think it is not necessary).

How would anyone else have had a chance to be good elsewhere if someone somewhere didnt give them a shot to succeed? This is the typical "must win right now" society we live in. Why cant we develop a good system and no matter what coach leaves someone will be able to step up and teach bo's system? Not saying this system is going to work....but its exactly whats happening.....the "process"

Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved.

Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)

As much as I agree with you Robsker..... I can actually see a "little" positive with JP moving up.

First, I was on board early last week saying that when this all goes down, Bo needed to go after a big name DC for recruiting purposes.... I did and do not want a Doug Coleman...... nothing against him, just doesn't give "wow' factor in living rooms around the country.

But, with that said, Nebraska does NOT want to lose JP. He is one (if not the best) recruiters we have. We need him. If Carl or anyone else is "trying" to lure JP away from Nebraska, then promoting him to DC makes sense. No, he hasn't done this before.....but neither had Carl at the college level before coming to Lincoln....ANYONE that thinks that Carl is, was, and would have been the MASTERMIND behind our defensive schemes is fooling themselves. Yes, Carl makes the gameday "calls" (with input) and is the "figure head" on the sideline.....BUT Bo still plays a big part in the schemes and always will. Once a defensive guru, ALWAYS a defensive guru, especially if your butt is on the line...

Bo will run the defense with JP being the figure-head, title only DC... this would give JP a $$$ raise and resume building opportunity. Thus, he would still be here to help recruit (his BEST ASSET)...

Not exactly what I want.... Best case is that JP is happy and will stay regardless and Bo brings in big name ... (proven) DC

HANC

Excellent post with some very good points.

I agree that retaining JP has advantages. Now, if it were to come to pass as you suggest --- that JP is promoted and is a "figurehead" as Bo actually coaches the D --- and I admit that this is a reasonably high probability scenario.... we have problems. Let me explain.

As I see it, a head coach must: a) coach X's and O's, b) ensure that his players stay out of trouble, c) ensure that his players go to class/graduate, d) run a clean program --- all of which Bo does well --- and must also, e) manage the roster well, f) motivate his players to play hard, g) hire/fire/mentor and hold accountable his assistant coaches who aid him in all that he does, h) deal with the press/be an ambassador for the program --- none of which Bo does well. The HC must also recruit (and lead recruiting efforts through his assistants) which i am not sure how well (or how poorly) Bo has done. My point is this --- if Bo is to develop as a HC and become what NU needs him to be, he MUST improve dramatically in areas e-h listed earlier --- and that takes time, effort, and focus. IF BO IS BOTH THE HC AND THE EFFECTIVE DC --- carrying a "figurehead" --- be that person JP or anyone else --- it will dilute what Bo should be doing --- a HC should be a HC --- he should not do 2 jobs --- it is better to do one job well than to do two jobs less than well.

Hire a real DC.

Now, your point is, however, well taken. The ideal would be to get a true, experienced DC and let him do his job --- and let Bo focus on his job as HC (shoring up an array of deficiencies) --- and retain JP as well. Not asking for too much, am I?!

Absolutely....you just made all the points for reasons that I agreed with your original post. This is why I don't like the JP idea and I think this is why Bo is struggling at being better at ALL of the things you mentioned ...... I just don't know if Bo will be able to bring in a big time guy and have the resolve to let the guy do HIS job and not mingle too much....

Maybe Bo should hire a big name to be HC and Bo take over the DC....lol

Oddly the two offensive coaches who left had pretty damn good years themselves. After Watson took over play calling they started to win at Louisville and Gilmore's guys did good as well. Ekler probably had the toughest task and among Husker fans he was the more popular of the three.

Really? Louisville is 79th in passing offense, 95th in rushing offense and 100th in scoring offense playing in the Everyone-Can-Still-Win-It Big East. They might have gotten a little better but they really didn't have anywhere to go but up. He might have been an improvement but that's a long ways from a "pretty damn good year."

How would anyone else have had a chance to be good elsewhere if someone somewhere didnt give them a shot to succeed? This is the typical "must win right now" society we live in. Why cant we develop a good system and no matter what coach leaves someone will be able to step up and teach bo's system? Not saying this system is going to work....but its exactly whats happening.....the "process"

Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved.

Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)

With what you posted below...

"Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved. Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)"

... you perfectly defined a micro-manager --- the type who is too proud, too self absorbed to let those beneath them do their job. A HC is to play the role that he was hired for --- to be a Head Coach. Be a head coach. Hire a DC and turn them loose --- and focus on being what you are paid to be --- a HC. There are tons of people out there who know defense well... just as well as our current HC.

Micro-managers rarely are good for the organization or the people they serve. I am not saying that Bo is such --- what I am saying is that anyone who thinks as you described in your post... well such a perspective is not likely to lead to anything overly good.

"Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved. Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)"

... you perfectly defined a micro-manager --- the type who is too proud, too self absorbed to let those beneath them do their job. A HC is to play the role that he was hired for --- to be a Head Coach. Be a head coach. Hire a DC and turn them loose --- and focus on being what you are paid to be --- a HC. There are tons of people out there who know defense well... just as well as our current HC.

Micro-managers rarely are good for the organization or the people they serve. I am not saying that Bo is such --- what I am saying is that anyone who thinks as you described in your post... well such a perspective is not likely to lead to anything overly good.

This seems like a weird post from a Nebraska fan, where our head coach was also the offensive coordinator for around 30 years. And do you really mean to say there are tons of people who know defense just as well as Pelini? I would definitely disagree with that. I would say there are is a small handful of people we could hire as defensive coordinator who know defense as well as Bo. Maybe less than a handful. In addition to that, the first time he gave someone else (Carl) more control over the defense, this year is what happened. His worst defense since being head coach at Nebraska

On the other hand I disagree with the post you're quoting as well.

How would anyone else have had a chance to be good elsewhere if someone somewhere didnt give them a shot to succeed?

This is Nebraska. We don't have to give new people a chance. That's for lesser programs to do. We can find a decent experienced guy if we want. That isn't to say I'm against hiring within, I'm just against your logic.

This seems like a weird post from a Nebraska fan, where our HC was also the offensive coordinator for around 30 years. And how do you know there are tons of people who know defense just as well as Pelini? I would definitely disagree with that. I would say there are is a small handful of people we could hire as defensive coordinator who know defense as well as Bo.

On the other hand I disagree with the post you're quoting as well. This is Nebraska. We don't have to hire someone who's never coached at the position for. We can find a decent experienced guy if we want.

Good points and a reasonable response to my post...

True enough that Tom Osborne was a HC and an OC. It is a rare individual with the skill set and the infrastructure around him to actually pull it off. Tom was one of those guys --- and more often than not, he had the necessary infrastructure around him as well.. There are others too. They are, like Tom, and exception. The rule however --- that which applies to the vast majority of coaches --- is that diluting your duties this way is not good.

For Bo, who has multiple demonstrable areas where he must improve (and, arguably, improve a great deal) in order to be proficient as a HC --- well, he cannot afford to be "distracted" (further, any more, or increasingly?) by being a DC as well (any more than he is already). Bo, clearly would fall under the rule --- it is not good to be a 2-job guy... unlike Tom, who, with his skills and in a simpler time, and in a better situation (generally) was the exception.

Regarding knowing that there are DC's out there that know their D like Bo does --- well, Bo is very good (that is doubtless)... but while he is clearly upper-tier --- he is by no means alone at that level.

Oddly the two offensive coaches who left had pretty damn good years themselves. After Watson took over play calling they started to win at Louisville and Gilmore's guys did good as well. Ekler probably had the toughest task and among Husker fans he was the more popular of the three.

Really? Louisville is 79th in passing offense, 95th in rushing offense and 100th in scoring offense playing in the Everyone-Can-Still-Win-It Big East. They might have gotten a little better but they really didn't have anywhere to go but up. He might have been an improvement but that's a long ways from a "pretty damn good year."

Personally as a coach he did have a very good year. They went 5-2 after he took over play calling. I'd call that pretty good since they were 2-3 before and their scoring average increased by a little over 9 points a game through the tougher part of their schedule. I'll be the first one to say Shawn's time here was worn out but he's not a bad coach and I'm happy he found success after what he went through here.

This seems like a weird post from a Nebraska fan, where our HC was also the offensive coordinator for around 30 years. And how do you know there are tons of people who know defense just as well as Pelini? I would definitely disagree with that. I would say there are is a small handful of people we could hire as defensive coordinator who know defense as well as Bo.

On the other hand I disagree with the post you're quoting as well. This is Nebraska. We don't have to hire someone who's never coached at the position for. We can find a decent experienced guy if we want.

Good points and a reasonable response to my post...

True enough that Tom Osborne was a HC and an OC. It is a rare individual with the skill set and the infrastructure around him to actually pull it off. Tom was one of those guys --- and more often than not, he had the necessary infrastructure around him as well.. There are others too. They are, like Tom, and exception. The rule however --- that which applies to the vast majority of coaches --- is that diluting your duties this way is not good.

For Bo, who has multiple demonstrable areas where he must improve (and, arguably, improve a great deal) in order to be proficient as a HC --- well, he cannot afford to be "distracted" (further, any more, or increasingly?) by being a DC as well (any more than he is already). Bo, clearly would fall under the rule --- it is not good to be a 2-job guy... unlike Tom, who, with his skills and in a simpler time, and in a better situation (generally) was the exception.

Regarding knowing that there are DC's out there that know their D like Bo does --- well, Bo is very good (that is doubtless)... but while he is clearly upper-tier --- he is by no means alone at that level.

IMO, he does fine when he's running the defense. It's not having a good offensive coordinator that's been the problem. I think Beck will be good. Bo just needs to trust him next year. I'm not even sure it was wrong for him to focus on the offense the last year. It was Beck's first year so it kind of makes sense. Now he has experience and Bo can get back to focusing on the defense.

So we can all rest easy now, our DC is not going anywhere :sarcasm . Carl Pelini has denied that he was offered a job.

Back to work nothing to see here. Mods feel free to close all the Carl Pelini job related treads.

Link: http://www.omaha.com...WS/312019740/-1

While he didn't say that Carl accepted the job, TO did comment on how he recommended him for the job. No doubt in my mind that TO wants Carl gone, so he is working to find him a job elsewhere.

Are you a Politician? I don't see how you get TO wanting Carl gone out of TO putting in a good word for him to get a HC job. To me it looks more like a opportunity for a DC to take the jump to become a HC & he got a referal from a coaching legend.

So we can all rest easy now, our DC is not going anywhere :sarcasm . Carl Pelini has denied that he was offered a job.

Back to work nothing to see here. Mods feel free to close all the Carl Pelini job related treads.

Link: http://www.omaha.com...WS/312019740/-1

While he didn't say that Carl accepted the job, TO did comment on how he recommended him for the job. No doubt in my mind that TO wants Carl gone, so he is working to find him a job elsewhere.

Are you a Politician? I don't see how you get TO wanting Carl gone out of TO putting in a good word for him to get a HC job. To me it looks more like a opportunity for a DC to take the jump to become a HC & he got a referal from a coaching legend.

Agreed. Huskershark... how do you know what Tom wants or does not want? Are you a mind reader?

I recommend people all the time that I would love to retain. Constantly actually. Those who get the best letters of recommendation from me are those that perform the best. I recognize that a great letter increases the likelihood that a great employee will leave... but that is simply what you do... you give an honest assessment when asked. Is it not possible that Tom Osborne might give a great recommendation for Carl because he thinks Carl is, in fact, great? I cannot know what Tom is thinking... but, then again, neither do you.

It might just be a good rec for a good candidate.