Really wanted the shutout

Well we can credit the officials for not getting the shutout. I'm not real big on crying about bad calls but they were awful at the worst times for us today.

We didn't get much help from the refs today but it didn't matter much on their one scoring drive. They got two crazy catches that really made that drive work.

Overall, a very solid game by the Blackshirts. Iowa only had about 155 yds of offense when we went up 20-0 in the fourth quarter.

really? there were a couple of suspect issues call wise on that drive. The most notable being that the "catch" that got them down to the goalline didn't look like a catch at all, he was bobbling it as he went out of bounds, and they didn't even take a second look

Well we can credit the officials for not getting the shutout. I'm not real big on crying about bad calls but they were awful at the worst times for us today.

We didn't get much help from the refs today but it didn't matter much on their one scoring drive. They got two crazy catches that really made that drive work.

Overall, a very solid game by the Blackshirts. Iowa only had about 155 yds of offense when we went up 20-0 in the fourth quarter.

I beg to differ. On their one long scoring drive, the refs called a completion on a long pass play that sure looked like the WR was bobbling as he went out of bounds. No review and no TV replay? Maybe that is one of the "crazy" catches you referred to. Then immediately following that one there was a PI call in the endzone that was plain pathetic. Our guy barely looked at him cross-eyed nevermind interfering with him. At that point the damage had already been done by the previous bad call but it was another bad call nevertheless. I'm a firm believer that the players need to do enough extra to remove the possibility that some bad calls will cost you a game but, on that one scoring drive the refs may have thrown more at them than anyone can expect to overcome. The game was littered with questionable to bad calls by this officiating crew. I believe it cost us the shutout. The ultra conservative offensive game plan the last 3 or 4 possessions didn't do us any favors but it was not as glaringly at fault as the incomplete completion.

Thank Beck for that one, up 20-0 and waste 3 offensive possessions in a row was ridiculous

Does Bo dictate to Beck that he wants to go ultra conservative like that or is it Beck's decision?

Good question. That seems like Bo's mentality to me, so I'm assuming its his call. Either way it sucks and we'll never develop a killer instinct by going into a shell like that.

Bo took his foot off of the gas too early in my opinion.

This late in the season, a win is a win. No reason to bang up your guys more than they are.

Well then Bo should've put the backups in and ran the offense instead of leaving the starters in and going vanilla.

We let off the gas way too early. It almost bit us in the a$$ against Penn State and had Iowa recovered that onside kick, it could've bit us in the a$$ again today. Go for the throat when you've got the chance. Never let an opponent get back into the game.

Can I nominate Vandenberg as a new entry into Bo Pelini's QB Graveyard? He came in as the best passer in the conference - 23 TD's and 5 picks, 65% completion rate. We hold him to 16-35, a buck 88, no TD's and an INT. Good job by David and the secondary!

Really hate to burst your bubble....but this was another typical day for Dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde James Vandenberg....away from Kinnick he has been GOD AWFUL. This game was pretty sickening, our offensive coordinator just has awful playcalling. (and I am not saying we would have beat you, but it certainly wouldn't have been so one sided if we were not so god $#@% conservative.....)

On the season away from Kinnick James finished: 87-153 (56%) 1008 6 tds vs 3 picks (Purdue he gained a lionshare of TDs and yards...you take that game out it's something like 700 yards 53% and 3 picks vs Tds) Purdue wasn't the best team....but they did beat osu...weird down year in BIG....Iowa was very very average and couldn't capitalize on this year.

7 points or a shutout. We still get a free Runza or burger!

They didn't show many replays in the stadium on some of those catches either. That was frustrating. I didn't think the long pass happened inbounds. Two DPI's on balls that landed way out of bounds seemed kind of strange as well.

Bad officiating wasn't just a B1G problem. I happened to catch the last few minutes of CU and Utah. Utah tackled a CU back for two yard loss by his facemask. No call. CU had to punt. Utah missed a last second field goal to lose to CU despite the missed facemask penalty.

Thank Beck for that one, up 20-0 and waste 3 offensive possessions in a row was ridiculous

Does Bo dictate to Beck that he wants to go ultra conservative like that or is it Beck's decision?

Good question. That seems like Bo's mentality to me, so I'm assuming its his call. Either way it sucks and we'll never develop a killer instinct by going into a shell like that.

Yeah...I'm beginning to think this is just Bo's way of doing things. Frazier has criticized us for not having that killer instinct, and I can scarcely remember a time where Bo has kept the pedal to the medal when we've had a substantial lead. I'm not saying run up the score, but we should still run the offense when back ups are in or it's late in the fourth. Instead of toss, toss, iso, and punt - we should be incorporating formations and getting our playmaking running backs on the field in different ways. Keep it going, just don't go lobbing deep bombs when you don't need to.

Again, though, this just seems like Bo. When he has a lead it seems like he doesn't care about keeping anything going as long as we get the win and don't let the other offense score more points. It's almost as if he'd rather have the defense on the field rather than the offense. I know that's probably not true, because I think any coach would prefer to have the offense on the field to run out the clock, but it's what it appears to be. It is what it is for now, I guess.