The what if game...

corncraze

do these guys that have been HCs make good assistants? I am sure there are a few examples of fired head coaches becoming assistant coaches, but I can't think of any

Usually before you become a head coach, your an asst. somewhere. So yes, if they are hired to become a head coach, they must have been pretty good asst. coaches.

Mike Stoops. Then replace Corey Raymond with Marvin Sanders

and look at what corey raymond has done with a secondary that featured only two seniors (one being cassidy, arguably the worst player on the field at any given time) this year. They have come a LONG way. Andrew Green? Ciante Evans? Once they bought into his system, they have done well.

Agree, Raymond has progressed. I like what I am seeing.

I think Raymond got off to a bad start by having an almost totally new secondary in terms of guys who had played. The first few games we had a lot of blown coverages with receivers running by themselves. After about three games, we really haven't seen that (at least, not nearly like the first couple games). After that, we still gave up some big passes but had guys there, just didn't make the plays. Especially Wisconsin and Michigan: we had guys in position - sometimes two guys - but couldn't make a play.

I think the secondary really came around - helps getting Dennard back - as far as running the correct coverages. Now we just have to have guys make plays when they're there. Maybe Raymond is a step down from Sanders but Sanders also had 5 NFL draft picks to use over his last couple years which makes the job a whole lot easier. I'm sure he did a good job coaching but there's no substitue for having great players.

JP will probably move up to DC

That would be a horrible move. Don't need a brand new DC for next season. Also, JP hardly shined as DL coach. I think he (and others) got a free ride when Marvin Sanders was here. Let's get somebody with experience.

This. I think Bo made this mistake last year with Beck.

Also, isn't Zook an offensive minded guy? For some reason I always thought he was. I would love to see him take over the Recruiting Coordinator role.

do these guys that have been HCs make good assistants? I am sure there are a few examples of fired head coaches becoming assistant coaches, but I can't think of any

John L Smith, Steve Craigthorpe, and Charlie Weis come to mind in the SEC.

You can also add chuck long to that list...he's over in Lawrence...poor devil....