Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

Happy to find out we have mind readers on this site. I disagree completely and I am a TMart supporter. It just makes sense to have a feel for game speed and electricity in an environment that is not a blowout or kneel down situation. We seem to have NO problem substituting 21 other positions at any point in the game...............even so far as starters disappearing for much of the season. To argue that a series (in most games) late in the second quarter or early in the third carries unacceptable risk is nonsensical.

Most every CFB coach in America not named Steve Spurrier or Brady Hoke would disagree with you.

Sorry, I've got to disagree again. If you would look at participation charts/minutes logged/ etc for the majority of programs, I would wager our # 2 QB logged less total snaps then almost any other.

Notice, I am not quibbling with whether or not a # 2 should be give gratuitous minutes in a game in jeopardy, just that there were, (even in THIS odd season) enough opportunities out there to avoid a potentially calamitous situation if TMart went down. We wouldn't want to be so hamstrung that we were reduced to a simple dive play and, in effect, punt the offense for the remainder of the game.

One of the benefits of the board is...................it's ok to disagree...............

Happy to find out we have mind readers on this site. I disagree completely and I am a TMart supporter. It just makes sense to have a feel for game speed and electricity in an environment that is not a blowout or kneel down situation. We seem to have NO problem substituting 21 other positions at any point in the game...............even so far as starters disappearing for much of the season. To argue that a series (in most games) late in the second quarter or early in the third carries unacceptable risk is nonsensical.

Most every CFB coach in America not named Steve Spurrier or Brady Hoke would disagree with you.

Sorry, I've got to disagree again. If you would look at participation charts/minutes logged/ etc for the majority of programs, I would wager our # 2 QB logged less total snaps then almost any other.

Notice, I am not quibbling with whether or not a # 2 should be give gratuitous minutes in a game in jeopardy, just that there were, (even in THIS odd season) enough opportunities out there to avoid a potentially calamitous situation if TMart went down. We wouldn't want to be so hamstrung that we were reduced to a simple dive play and, in effect, punt the offense for the remainder of the game.

One of the benefits of the board is...................it's ok to disagree...............

There was one game this entire season that was decided at the start of the 4th quarter, that Carnes didn't play.

Take out the talent issues (is Carnes good, is he not) and the fact remains for whatever reason, Bo has issues playing anyone besides the starters. Has any second

string player really seen significant playing time in the time Bo has been here (other than injury) ? There has been some switching to try and find chemistry, but no consistent developing or playing time for those further down the depth chart. It has been a staple with Bo as a coach.

Uh..... what? I think you need to go look at the participation list.

Who would we find on there? All those 2nd string offensive linemen like Choi? ONLY reason he got in there was because A-Rod was hurt. How many games did Yoshi play every snap? I believe both Michigan (a blowout loss) and Iowa (a blowout win). What about our tallented freshman RB's. Nope. How about Rome? Only reason he got in there was because Crick got hurt.

Didn't see Turner in there much. Didn't see Carnes in there at all. He held on tight to Fisher right up to the end. Ankrah barely got any time until the final game. David never came out, Compton as well. Some 2nd stringers got in at CB but mainly because that position is so up in the air that we were rotating offensive guys through their ranks. Stafford was in every game at the end. PJ Smith? Didn't see him.

Bo doesn't put the 2nd team in the game. His starters generally play every minute of the game regardless of outcome.

That's simply not true. We've played a bunch of guys across the DL, LB, DB, WR, OL. The only selective positions were RB and QB. Also, we only had a few of games that weren't close, allowing us to play backups.

Take out the talent issues (is Carnes good, is he not) and the fact remains for whatever reason, Bo has issues playing anyone besides the starters. Has any second

string player really seen significant playing time in the time Bo has been here (other than injury) ? There has been some switching to try and find chemistry, but no consistent developing or playing time for those further down the depth chart. It has been a staple with Bo as a coach.

which is exactly why we're seeing the "youth and inexperience" take its toll on this year's defense. If he never plays the backups, we're going to see the problem every year when seniors leave.

I think everyone can agree that there have been a couple situations where we could have had Carnes come in. However some of those situations would have been much like the ones he already was in for, where the only thing he would be doing is handing it off. I must admit, though, that it is strange not seeing Carnes much this year even though I remember Pelini saying good things about him. I think I remember him even mentioning Carnes on ESPN and having full confidence in him.

Hmmm.......sounds like another QB we have on this team. I think they call him Tma.......Tmag-something.

Bo doesn't put the 2nd team in the game. His starters generally play every minute of the game regardless of outcome.

And yet he gave out 19 Blackshirts because he rotates so much on defense. The guy is a dichotomy.

You almost try to make it sound like he gave out 19 black shirts because he had 19 guys who could come in and get the job done at any moment of any game. I don't think that was the case. I thought it was much more like fishing. Throwing a line out there, seeing what bites, if anything. He played nineteen guys on defense this year because of injuries and because he was trying to find a guy who would make plays at various spots. It was nothing more than that. I think that's why you saw such a sour reaction by some fans and former players when they saw the amount of shirts and who got them. Not saying the guys didn't deserve them, I think they did. I'm just saying that he was clearly looking for some answers out there.

And yet he gave out 19 Blackshirts because he rotates so much on defense. The guy is a dichotomy.

You almost try to make it sound like he gave out 19 black shirts because he had 19 guys who could come in and get the job done at any moment of any game. I don't think that was the case. I thought it was much more like fishing. Throwing a line out there, seeing what bites, if anything. He played nineteen guys on defense this year because of injuries and because he was trying to find a guy who would make plays at various spots. It was nothing more than that. I think that's why you saw such a sour reaction by some fans and former players when they saw the amount of shirts and who got them. Not saying the guys didn't deserve them, I think they did. I'm just saying that he was clearly looking for some answers out there.

still is, our DBs were continously torched......except for Dennard in late season.......if we play SC, they will own the passing lanes.

*I* am not making it sound like anything. I'm just relating what Bo did. He's the one who made the claim that he could - and did - rotate those guys interchangeably.

still is, our DBs were continously torched......except for Dennard in late season.......if we play SC, they will own the passing lanes.

When Dennard finally got healthy, he played some of the best football I've ever seen. That guy is gifted. I don't see him getting owned by anyone. Andrew Green did get picked on a bit, but no denying he did get better. I think SC would be an interesting game.

Uh..... what? I think you need to go look at the participation list.

Participation over healthy guys? The only reason some got in on the O line and the D line was injuries pure and simple. Bo didn't play any of them to develop them. Cooper and SJB to corner. Was this for development or lack of experience or trying to "find" the right guys? The subs were not in there to develop depth and get experience. Game 6 until we had a set secondary. Game 6. The guys running in and out were trying to get starting time, not a plan by Bo to get depth and experience.

Look at last year (year 3) and see what we had returning this year at the skill positions. No RB besides Rex, QB Martinez, only Kinnie with a catch, Cam at DE, Dennard at CB, no one at PK, return or punter.

This year more of the same. No one coming in to get reps unless the starter is injured. The O line rotated at Udub and really never again. I like Bo, but to say this staff is developing depth and experience is crazy IMO.

• Fire 1

which is exactly why we're seeing the "youth and inexperience" take its toll on this year's defense. If he never plays the backups, we're going to see the problem every year when seniors leave.

Come on, these guys get reps in practice. It's not like they've seen a football before.

Lack of talent took its toll on the defense this year. Throw in a lack of aggressive play calling from the coaches and it's obvious why our d struggled all season.

I said this last year and I'll say it again now: Brion Carnes stinks. That's why he's not getting PT. If he wanted to transfer, it would have to be to a small school because nobody in FBS is going to want him. That's just the harsh reality.

Somebody will tell me I'm full of it and talk about the spring game. Well, we've seen precious little of him this season and it's obvious he's not good enough to play at this level. Bo sees him everyday in practice and there's a reason Bo doesn't use him. For us older guys, remember playing Techmo Super Bowl and your star would get hurt? You had to go to your backup and he never caught the ball or was only fast enough to gain one yard rushing? That's Brion Carnes. There's a reason he was going to Western Kentucky before we offerered.

Ha, I'll say it again. You want to compare FBS offers for quarterback, for Taylor and Brion? Go ahead and do it.

Come on, these guys get reps in practice. It's not like they've seen a football before.

You're making what might seem a reasonable assumption, but I am not at all sure it is accurate to say that about some of the guys we are talking about.

I said this last year and I'll say it again now: Brion Carnes stinks. That's why he's not getting PT. If he wanted to transfer, it would have to be to a small school because nobody in FBS is going to want him. That's just the harsh reality.

Somebody will tell me I'm full of it and talk about the spring game. Well, we've seen precious little of him this season and it's obvious he's not good enough to play at this level. Bo sees him everyday in practice and there's a reason Bo doesn't use him. For us older guys, remember playing Techmo Super Bowl and your star would get hurt? You had to go to your backup and he never caught the ball or was only fast enough to gain one yard rushing? That's Brion Carnes. There's a reason he was going to Western Kentucky before we offerered.

I'm no insider whatsoever but two people I know who have been accurate previously several times tell me Carnes is having a difficult time learning to read defenses. Especially for the run game. If true, his lack of playing time when a game is still open to any risk makes perfect sense.

Sure hope the light switch clicks on for him soon so we can unleash Tmart and have a capable Brion ready if he gets banged up.

I'm no insider whatsoever but two people I know who have been accurate previously several times tell me Carnes is having a difficult time learning to read defenses. Especially for the run game. If true, his lack of playing time when a game is still open to any risk makes perfect sense.

Sure hope the light switch clicks on for him soon so we can unleash Tmart and have a capable Brion ready if he gets banged up.

This could very well be true. He has all of the physical tools, BUT might currently lack the ability to audible, read the D as it relates to the zone read, our offense in general and/or certain plays we run that are predicated on "if the D does this, you do that". Could explain a lot. Folks knock Martinez and his passing game and detractors are quick to point out "that's why no one but us offered him a spot as a QB". Maybe that can be said of Carnes as well. Only Western KY was after him, IIRC. MIght have been a reason.

Again, this issue (if true) coupled with some Martinez miscues should really convince the staff to get a dedicated knowledgeable QB coach on the staff.