How many years did it take

macroboy

Frank Solich's firing was not based entirely on football.

I think as long as we see fight in the team, we can't complain about three or four losses. Still......

'09 was tough because the offense could not live up to a stellar defense.

'10 was tough because the second half collapse made the first half seem like a completely different season.

'11 was tough because the defense suddenly reverted to the horrible spectacle of Callahan's last season.

This team is still having trouble getting everyone on the same page for the same game, including teamwide mental errors. I happen to think that's a coaching problem.

I thought a 9 - 3 season this year was reasonable, even if I didn't expect the defense to be our main liability. I though Northwestern was more forgiveable than having the wheels totally come off against Wiscy and Michigan.

But with enough key players returning, I think it's reasonable to expect Bo and Carl to show improvement in 2012.

Then I'll bring out the knives.

How long did Solich last? Four years or five? He was fired after a 10-3 season.

Yeah, but LOL Steve Pederson.

One of the great burning questions that I've had in my mind for 5 years now is, Where would the program be had Solich not been fired? Would he still be coaching? How successful would he have been? Too bad we'll never know.

From what I have read in the past is that the talent pool was draining under Solich which was pretty evident in Callahan's first couple years, also that Solich didn't have much of the attention and respect from the players during his stint. But to also answer your question is that it would have been interesting to see what he "could" have done, but at the same time probably not bring in the talent that Callahan did, Taylor, Lucky, Suh, Prince etc...

Spare me the silly recruiting stars BS.

There's about a mathematical and statistical zero chance Frank/Bo would have racked up losing seasons, worst losses in the history of NU cfb, 0 - 19 when down at halftine, etc, etc. It was a monstrously bad move in every single way that NU fans should never have had to endure. Thanks Pedey. I hope you rot forever at Pissburg.

We were damn lucky TO came back and saved our ship at it was listing badly to say the very least.

• Fire 1

Enough with the comparisons. Not even a direct correlation. Maybe, just maybe, if Bo hadn't proclaimed, quite loudly, that he was sick of Nebraska, we wouldn't be in this mess. His problem is not 100% due to on-field performance. It is because of his nature of an egotistical, paranoid a-hole that is his problem. FACT.

OPINION.

Enough with the comparisons. Not even a direct correlation. Maybe, just maybe, if Bo hadn't proclaimed, quite loudly, that he was sick of Nebraska, we wouldn't be in this mess. His problem is not 100% due to on-field performance. It is because of his nature of an egotistical, paranoid a-hole that is his problem. FACT.

Agreed

OPINION.

One of the great burning questions that I've had in my mind for 5 years now is, Where would the program be had Solich not been fired? Would he still be coaching? How successful would he have been? Too bad we'll never know.

From what I have read in the past is that the talent pool was draining under Solich which was pretty evident in Callahan's first couple years, also that Solich didn't have much of the attention and respect from the players during his stint. But to also answer your question is that it would have been interesting to see what he "could" have done, but at the same time probably not bring in the talent that Callahan did, Taylor, Lucky, Suh, Prince etc...

There's about a mathematical and statistical zero chance Frank/Bo would have racked up losing seasons, worst losses in the history of NU cfb, 0 - 19 when down at halftine, etc, etc. It was a monstrously bad move in every single way that NU fans should never have had to endure. Thanks Pedey. I hope you rot forever at Pissburg.

We were damn lucky TO came back and saved our ship at it was listing badly to say the very least.

How did you feel after Solich went 7-7 during the goalpost tour in 2002? Or after 2003 when we had three losses by a total margin of 110 - 40? Those were also moments that a lot of us never thought we'd see. I never had a problem with firing Solich, it was everything after that up until Callahan's firing that I disagreed with.

How did you feel after Solich went 7-7 during the goalpost tour in 2002? Or after 2003 when we had three losses by a total margin of 110 - 40? Those were also moments that a lot of us never thought we'd see. I never had a problem with firing Solich, it was everything after that up until Callahan's firing that I disagreed with.

We went 7-7 in 2002 for basically the same reason Texas didn't go bowling last season. Frank put everything into 2001 trying to bring home the trophy and his second team players saw very little action. Jamal Lord looked like a deer in the headlights in the 2002 season. In 2003, each and every team that beat us by that margin was a better team than we were. Again, look at Texas this year compared to us in 2003. I'd take our 2003 any day of the week and we didn't even have to pay Frank 5 million to get it. How do you feel about the two loss margin we sustained this year to Michigan and Wisconsin? Wisconsin is better than us, but I don't think Michigan is. If we're going to go down this road, then it appears Bo needs fired before the bowl game.

I don't have a problem if Frank was fired for off the field encounters. I have a huge problem if he was fired for his coaching ability. For those who questioned him as an OC, he wasn't even the OC in 2003. He didn't call the plays in 2003. The infamous Barney Cotton did. We will never know where we'd be today if Solich wasn't fired, but what we do know is that Frank's DC is now our HC. BC inherited more first three round NFL players from Solich than Solich inherited from TO. The biggest problem with Frank's talent is that it was all loaded on the defensive side of the ball.

I have never gotten how everyone is enamored by what Gill did at Buffalo claiming him to be this good/great coach all the while Frank has done just as much if not more at Ohio. In his seven years at Ohio, he's won his division in the MAC three times. In only his second year at Ohio, he took them to a bowl which was the first time they'd been invited to a bowl since 1968. I think some people tend to forget the players BC inherited from Solich. He inherited Matt Herian, Cory Ross, Richie Incognito, Stewart Bradley, one of the Bullocks twins, Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Barrett and Bo Ruud, and Fabian Washington. How many of these guys have or are still playing in the NFL?

Wondering when Bo said this? Did I miss this somewhere?

Question: When did he say he was 'sick of Nebraska'?

Me too? I sure missed it. I don't think that poster likes Bo so much.

Question: When did he say he was 'sick of Nebraska'?

Rivals free board.

:devil

Me too? I sure missed it. I don't think that poster likes Bo so much.

I do not think he likes Bo either. I searched and still can not find the poster's claim of Bo saying this about Nebraska.

We went 7-7 in 2002 for basically the same reason Texas didn't go bowling last season. Frank put everything into 2001 trying to bring home the trophy and his second team players saw very little action. Jamal Lord looked like a deer in the headlights in the 2002 season. In 2003, each and every team that beat us by that margin was a better team than we were. Again, look at Texas this year compared to us in 2003. I'd take our 2003 any day of the week and we didn't even have to pay Frank 5 million to get it. How do you feel about the two loss margin we sustained this year to Michigan and Wisconsin? Wisconsin is better than us, but I don't think Michigan is. If we're going to go down this road, then it appears Bo needs fired before the bowl game.

I don't have a problem if Frank was fired for off the field encounters. I have a huge problem if he was fired for his coaching ability. For those who questioned him as an OC, he wasn't even the OC in 2003. He didn't call the plays in 2003. The infamous Barney Cotton did. We will never know where we'd be today if Solich wasn't fired, but what we do know is that Frank's DC is now our HC. BC inherited more first three round NFL players from Solich than Solich inherited from TO. The biggest problem with Frank's talent is that it was all loaded on the defensive side of the ball.

I have never gotten how everyone is enamored by what Gill did at Buffalo claiming him to be this good/great coach all the while Frank has done just as much if not more at Ohio. In his seven years at Ohio, he's won his division in the MAC three times. In only his second year at Ohio, he took them to a bowl which was the first time they'd been invited to a bowl since 1968. I think some people tend to forget the players BC inherited from Solich. He inherited Matt Herian, Cory Ross, Richie Incognito, Stewart Bradley, one of the Bullocks twins, Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Barrett and Bo Ruud, and Fabian Washington. How many of these guys have or are still playing in the NFL?

Bo Ruud shouldn't be on that list if you're trying to point out talent that Solich left behind.

Your point about the Mich and Wisc losses this year is valid, except that qualitatively I don't think either has markedly better athletes than NU does this year. I definitely thought we were athletically outclassed by both UT and KSU in 2003. I thought at the time, and still do, that Solich's ceiling as a coach and recruiter was very low. The team as a whole lacked speed, and remarkably it seemed as if Solich didn't have the understanding of the offensive scheme he'd been a part of for decades. It's debatable whether firing him after the 2003 season was poor timing, but in my opinion he wasn't getting any better as a coach, and that was a tough pill to swallow for us fans after dominating for nearly a decade.

While clearly not to be mistaken as evidence necessarily, it is worth noting that Frank Solich has not been on any major program's radar (as far as I know) in terms of head coaching searches.