Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

would all be ahead of Bo at this point.

I would agree with everyone on that list except Bobby Petrino. I don't think he's a top 10 coach. He has one of the most talent rich teams in the nation, yet has done nothing in four seasons.

Bielema isn't top ten....I'm a cynic I know but we've yet to get a bowl win that really felt satisfying to me

From an outsider's perspective, I'd put Bielema in the top 10 because he doesn't have the greatest amount of talent around him, yet he has done quite a lot with it.

Russel Wilson and Monte Ball, that 305-lb averaging O-line? No talent there, no sir. Bielema has had a lot more talent than we have had in the last couple years.

I think what he's saying is, those kids aren't 4 and 5-star recruits coming in (Wilson's a weird exception). The player development/walk-on program at Wisconsin is very good, and it needs to be because Wisconsin won't be a top-10 recruiting class every year.

Here's my list in order. I included only people I wouldn't mind seeing at Nebraska and who aren't past their prime. No Brown, Tressel, Beamer, Spurrier etc for me for various reasons. Although they may all technically be better coaches or have more skins on the wall than Bo, I wouldn't trade them for him. I included one NFL coach, only because his success has only come at the college level and I think there's a better than average chance he ends up back in college sooner than later (much like Saban). Harbaugh is pretty much set in the NFL for a long time from what I can tell so I couldn't include him. I listed Bo tied for 13 behind these top 12 because I think he's in the wheelhouse with a long list of coaches who have some potential, but aren't quite there yet.

1 - Nick Saban - $5.9M

2 - Urban Meyer - $4M

3 - Les Miles - $3.75M

4 - Pete Carroll - $6.6M (NFL)

5 - Bob Stoops - $4.9M

6 - Chip Kelly - $3.42M

7 - Gary Patterson - $1.6M

8 - Mike Gundy - $2.2M

9 - Jim Grobe - $2.3M

10 - Bret Bielema - $2.5M

11 - Mark Richt - $3.5M

12 - Chris Petersen - $1.6M

T13 – Bo Pelini - $2.8M

I tried to find the most current salary numbers I could (they don't all jibe with the OP for whatever reason). With the exception of Petersen and Patterson, these salaries are pretty much in line with the way I ranked the coaches.

I support Bo and understand the difficulties of recruiting to Lincoln. But -

Has NU under Bo won one game in which they were the underdog? I see a lot of Coach's names on the list at the beginning of this post where their teams consistantly show up and win the big games - games they were not expected to win - so far we have not won that big game. Close but no cigar!

"If you can do it, it ain't braggin!"

RiverRunner

2008: Clemson vs. Nebraska

2009: Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

2009: Texas vs. Nebraska

Not a great list, but it's a start.

We didn't beat Texas in 2009, Drumline.

A few more to add to that list:

2009 Missouri, ranked #24 (three spots behind us) but they were favored

2010 Missouri, ranked #6, we won 31-17.

2010 Oklahoma State, ranked #17 (three spots behind us) but they were favored to win

2011 Michigan State was ranked #9 and we were #13

2011 Penn State was ranked #12 and we were #19

it is so ridiculous that people state "Bo is not a top10 coach because he has not won a conference title or has not been to a bcs bowl." Would Bo be any better as a coach if there was no extra second left on the clock against TX??

Simple answer: he would be infinitely better. He would be even better than that had Taylor not thrown that pick in the end-zone when up 17 on OU last year as well.

No, only your perception of him would be different. He would be a championship coach. And the coach of a championship team has to be good, right? But how much of the outcome of the CSG against TX was in Bo's hand? Colt McCoy holds a little longer onto the ball, throws it a little further and NU wins. Or you have a different referee who thinks there was no sec left on the clock and we win. Or Dan Beebe is not the commmissioner of the BIG XII and we win. At the end of the day it was bad luck or a big injustice but nothing Bo could have done about.

And yet you say he wins he is so much better, he loses, well not so good. That reminds me of little kids who think they can't be seen when they close their eyes.

To determine a good coach is pretty tough IMO too many circumstances that play a role. But simply going by wins or championships is definitely to easy.

Great coaches get the best from what they have. For this reason, I have a hard time putting Mack Brown on this list. I see a couple mentioned Frank Beamer, and he definitely belongs on the list. The one coach I haven't seen anyone mention is Bill Snyder. IMO, he is the best of the best. Just look at some of the head coaches out there that were under his wind at some point in time. I hate seeing Chris Peterson on this list because of the Boise State mirage. Dirk Koetter had that program rolling only to move onto Arizona State. He was fired for not being a good/great coach. Dan Hawkins took the torch and ran with it. He moved onto CU and was fired for not being a good/great coach. I don't know if there's something in the water up there or what, but I'm not willing to give Chris Peterson much credit until he moves onto a bigger school to see what he can do.

Has NU under Bo won one game in which they were the underdog? I see a lot of Coach's names on the list at the beginning of this post where their teams consistantly show up and win the big games - games they were not expected to win - so far we have not won that big game. Close but no cigar!

RiverRunner

2010 Oklahoma State, ranked #17 (three spots behind us) but they were favored to win

I don't know what you're talking about, knapp. Colt McCoy threw the ball out of bounds and the clock ran out. I changed the channel right after that. Did I miss something?

In all of college football

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Chris Petersen

Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

would all be ahead of Bo at this point.

I would agree with everyone on that list except Bobby Petrino. I don't think he's a top 10 coach. He has one of the most talent rich teams in the nation, yet has done nothing in four seasons.

Bielema isn't top ten....I'm a cynic I know but we've yet to get a bowl win that really felt satisfying to me

From an outsider's perspective, I'd put Bielema in the top 10 because he doesn't have the greatest amount of talent around him, yet he has done quite a lot with it.

Russel Wilson and Monte Ball, that 305-lb averaging O-line? No talent there, no sir. Bielema has had a lot more talent than we have had in the last couple years.

I think what he's saying is, those kids aren't 4 and 5-star recruits coming in (Wilson's a weird exception). The player development/walk-on program at Wisconsin is very good, and it needs to be because Wisconsin won't be a top-10 recruiting class every year.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

RiverRunner

Yes we did knapp. Yes we did.

no, he has no signature wins and no BCS appearances......

What constitutes a signature win?

I would define it as beating a team that finishes the year in the top ten. To my knowledge, that has never happened. Closest he's ever come was beating Oklahoma State last year and they finished ranked 13th with an 11-2 record. This year's Michigan State win could end up being his best, but it's pretty in line with Okie State last year to me. I have a hard time classifying last year's win over Okie Lite as a "signature win".

Of course Bo is a Top 10 all time Nebraska head football coach... I'd maybe even go Top 5.

#1 Bob Devaney - Started football at NEBRASKA. Anything else pre-Bob never happened - like the dinosaurs!

#2 Tom Osbourne - Had a little run in the 90's and won a few games.

#3 -10 Bo Pelini in there somewhere.

Anyway, some good lists in this thread.

Of course Bo is a Top 10 all time Nebraska head football coach... I'd maybe even go Top 5.

#1 Bob Devaney - Started football at NEBRASKA. Anything else pre-Bob never happened - like the dinosaurs!

#2 Tom Osbourne - Had a little run in the 90's and won a few games.

#3 -10 Bo Pelini in there somewhere.

Anyway, some good lists in this thread.

Where is Barry on this list since he apparently spent so much time at NU.