Huskers Vs. Deacs

Well, I was really hopeful about this year because I really thought Bo Spencer was the spark the offense needed to really score some points. This game pretty much showed me that basketball this year will be like any other year Doc has been here: solid defense, spotty offense, win one or two games no one expects, but overall won't make a splash in the conference.

Sigh

Well, I was really hopeful about this year because I really thought Bo Spencer was the spark the offense needed to really score some points. This game pretty much showed me that basketball this year will be like any other year Doc has been here: solid defense, spotty offense, win one or two games no one expects, but overall won't make a splash in the conference.

Sigh

And this was very questionable tonight.

This will be Doc's last year, holy hell im not having a meltdown or over exaggerating but we will be lucky to go 5-11 in the BIG

You know, people were predicting we'd be lucky to make a bowl game after the Wisconsin game and 2nd quarter of the Ohio State game...when oh when will you people learn not to make bold predictions before the season has barely even started?

OK, got in late and didn't get to see the entire game, so what I am saying is based off seeing very little towards the end.

Can someone explain to me what Udel (did I get his name correct?) was doing on the last play. When the ball is that far out on top of the key he shouldn't have been outside the lane to begin with. If they skip pass from the top to the corner, he still has time to close out. But he did not even move his feet to try and rotate in and help when the Wake player drove the lane for the go ahead basket. My God, that's junior high stuff right there.

And against a 1-2-2 zone, did we ever have someone in the free throw line area or is our entire offense predicated on throwing it around the perimeter looking for the three? The area around the free throw line was wide open against their zone, they were really stretched to the outside, but I never saw anyone set up there for us.

I'm not even going to touch on the obvious discussions of the last two possessions, tough D for 30 seconds only to give up open looks at the end of the shot clock, or offensive execution. There are two other things that I think are equally as important but not getting any attention (at least from what I've seen, didn't read all of the thread).

Diaz has to get more touches. Say what you will about his rebounding or defense, but on the offensive end that kid is working his ass off and playing better than ever. Give him ten more touches (which would have been extremely easy) and he has one more assist, 6 more shot attempts, 4 more makes. That's an additional 10-11 points. It blows my mind that in all those time outs Doc couldn't get it across to his guys that they needed to get the ball inside.

Doc needs to be careful in managing Bo Spencer. I was impressed that Doc sat him for as long as he did early in the first half. It was obvious from the first trip up the court that Bo was not on his best game. Don't let his stat line fool you, Bo Spencer did not play a good game tonight. Normally I wouldn't be worried, would dismiss is at as the go-to guy having an off night. However, with Bo I sense a bit of a distrust in his teammates. Not that he doesn't get along with them, but I think he believes he is playing with inferior talent surrounding him. Doc needs to find a way to get him to understand he has to trust his other 4 other guys and when he's not doing that he needs to sit, but Doc has to be careful not to piss him off either. It's great that Doc was able to get him in here for a year and I think at the end of the year we'll all be extremely pleased he was a Husker, but this situation is a little different from any other Doc has had while at NU and I think it bears watching out of the corner of your eye.

Not sure what will happen Sunday, but look for a LOT of touches for Diaz in the remaining non-con games.

For all the people asking for Doc to go, who do we realistically get to replace him? Anything would be a lateral move in my opinion. It seems more like a personnel problem to me. JBD is just not suited to play inside. Almeida would make a big difference if he could play.

Exactly, they only way Nebraska gets a better coach is if they take some young guy no ones ever heard of and they hit the lottery and he turns out to be great. Almeida would not make the difference some people seem to think he would; with every game he sits his abilities seem to increase in the minds of fans.

3rd and long - earlier in the game they did have a guy on the free throw line but Wake was taking him away. As for the last couple minutes, don't try to figure out what was going on there, you'll go crazy. I don't think Doc or any of the players even know what was going on.