Offense and Beck

C N Red

For as many imaginative things we did with our O this year, I just get absolutely baffled at how conservative and mediocre some of his play calling can be

One thing I really wanted to see us do this year is something I've seen Oregon do in their game tonite. QB at pistol depth with split backs. Run a counter read with one back and if QB pulls it him and other RB run option opposite direction.

I called for it all year but dont believe we ever ran it. If I'm mistaken let me know so I can go back to game and see it. Anyway, just a hard type of read option to defend.

We didn't run that play exactly but the triple option against Michigan was basically the same play - just with different players. Martinez meshes with Burkhead and has the choice to pull it and run straight ahead. Instead he gave it to Burkhead who ran the option with Abdullah.

Slightly different play but same concept.

1st year of a new offensive scheme with a new coordinator and staff, ran by young players and a VERY young offensive line. It's still in development, but the good stuff is coming. I feel like this season's game and practices were all about Beck and the staff figuring out what each guy's strong suit is, and to teach Taylor how to throw the ball.

We didn't run that play exactly but the triple option against Michigan was basically the same play - just with different players. Martinez meshes with Burkhead and has the choice to pull it and run straight ahead. Instead he gave it to Burkhead who ran the option with Abdullah.

Ya, i remember that play. Oregon does the counter read. So for example, the right RB runs in front of the QB going left. The QB puts ball in his stomach and reads. If he pulls it, him and the other RB run out right on the option where the QB reads the end/LB and keeps or pitches. Nice play b/c I like how it starts with the counter read getting the defense flowing one way, or if they dont the ball is given to the read RB.

Ya, i remember that play. Oregon does the counter read. So for example, the right RB runs in front of the QB going left. The QB puts ball in his stomach and reads. If he pulls it, him and the other RB run out right on the option where the QB reads the end/LB and keeps or pitches. Nice play b/c I like how it starts with the counter read getting the defense flowing one way, or if they dont the ball is given to the read RB.

Hell of a play

• Fire 1

I think beck did a great job this year for a first year OC. It was evident that he had his growing pains at times, i.e. Wisconsin, but overall there is great promise for the future. Next year, with another spring and fall under their belt I think the sky is the limit for the offense. With all the experience returning at every position group, this will be a strength for Nebraska. If the defense can improve and live up to the standard of the Blackshirts, should be a fun season to watch! I can't wait for the bowl game, and it will be a long off-season of excitement for next year!

1st year of a new offensive scheme with a new coordinator and staff, ran by young players and a VERY young offensive line. It's still in development, but the good stuff is coming. I feel like this season's game and practices were all about Beck and the staff figuring out what each guy's strong suit is, and to teach Taylor how to throw the ball.

+1

I agree that I'd like to see the play you described. I think we'll see more variations as we go along - maybe even in the bowl game.

I think beck did a great job this year for a first year OC. It was evident that he had his growing pains at times, i.e. Wisconsin, but overall there is great promise for the future. Next year, with another spring and fall under their belt I think the sky is the limit for the offense. With all the experience returning at every position group, this will be a strength for Nebraska. If the defense can improve and live up to the standard of the Blackshirts, should be a fun season to watch! I can't wait for the bowl game, and it will be a long off-season of excitement for next year!

Agreed. I think Beck is still getting a fell for play calling but I like what I see so far. One other observation I have is we seemed to be a better second-half team (in most games). I think having all new opponents made it tough to know exactly how people were going to defend us. I don't think it makes as much difference on defense where you pretty much know what the other team is going to run. But on offense, you have to set your blocking based on the defense and I think we had to do a lot of in-game adjusting when we got a different look that we expected. With a year of experience for both players and coaches and a better idea of what to prepare for, I think we'll take another big step forward next year.

• Fire 1

For me the jury is still out on Beck after watching this season. There were some moments but overall I thought he left a lot out there with his use, or lack thereof, of personnel. I thought he and this coaching staff would be figuring out ways to get our young talent on the field much more than they did. I was expecting to some kind of a system, ala Oregon, and instead I am left with the perception of a bunch of stuff just thrown together.

Hell of a play

Definitely my favorite play of the season. So many things they have to defend!

And I loved how Urban Meyer was so baffled by it.

I completely agree C N Red. I thought it would have opened up Watson's offense big time. It would have gotten Helu and Burkhead on the field at the same time, alongside Martinez. As well as we were executing the zone read in Watson's final year, there was no way defenses would have been able to handle that amount of talent in the same backfield. Unfortunately, Watson had a knack for never progressing and never improving. It seemed we just stuck with the same game plan week in and week out. Never changed and never got better. Let's hope this offense under Beck keeps evolving and improving. We wasted the talent of some very young guys this year. I hope next year we find a way to utilize all of our best athletes on the field at once. You can't tell me a defense could stop Martinez, Burkhead, Abdullah, Heard, Turner and Green all on the field at once. Especially with Brion slinging them the ball.