DC Candidates?

Its as sad to me when I see fans who are such homers that these kinds of stats are somehow impressive to them as when I see fans who are so extremely negative that nothing but a national championship is ever good enough. Both types of fans are equally idiotic.

Do you own a mirror? Because that's exactly what you sound like.

Because I don't think Bo's on the same level as Harbaugh?? You f'ing kidding me??

Who cares if Bo is on the same level as Harbaugh? Bo is our coach, Harbaugh isn't, and isn't going to be. It's a dumb comparison in the first place.

exactly, dumb comparison. apples to oranges right?

Its as sad to me when I see fans who are such homers that these kinds of stats are somehow impressive to them as when I see fans who are so extremely negative that nothing but a national championship is ever good enough. Both types of fans are equally idiotic.

Because I don't think Bo's on the same level as Harbaugh?? You f'ing kidding me??

Who cares if Bo is on the same level as Harbaugh? Bo is our coach, Harbaugh isn't, and isn't going to be. It's a dumb comparison in the first place.

exactly, dumb comparison. apples to oranges right?

Maybe. But what else are we going to talk about? :)

Which was the exact point of the initial discussion in the first place. Someone implied that just because Jim Harbaugh is able to be a good head coach and coordinator that means Bo can do it too. That is a ridiculous comparison...or a "dumb comparison in the first place"!!!

Good lord!!! :facepalm:

There's just a level of negativity that I can't stomach. The constant bitching about Pelini, how he's not good enough, not as good as the next guy, blah blah blah. It gets tiresome. People talk about benchmarks which are often arbitrary and based on chance as much as anything.

But you have to be able to measure him against something. Any job is benchmarked against peers. Performance is measured against productivity, goals achieved, etc. How many goals has Pelini reached? Academically the team is strong, but they were strong when he got here, and would be if he left. Off field incidents are not an issue, but they weren't really a major issue prior to him coming either. The culture has certainly been restored for the most part, which I think is a major (and often overlooked) achievement for Pelini.

However, at the end of the day I don't care what he says...it is about the trophy's. He has none. He's seconds away from having a couple though, in which case we likely wouldn't be having this discussion. But has he improved the team? Are they better today than they were 2 years ago, 1 second from taking out the #2 team in the country, winning a championship and going to a BCS bowl? I don't know. The defense has certainly fell off dramatically since then. The offense has improved...but it would be EXTREMELY difficult not to improve on that 2009 offense.

If you look at those Stanford teams...they took drastic leaps to get better. Their recruiting improved (Nebraska's hasn't), their records improved (Nebraska's hasn't). Today they are in a position to continue that winning tradition because the framework was laid down by Harbaugh. Do you think Pelini has the framework in place? I just don't see it. I believe he can win 9 games a season. We schedule 4 wins into the season every year. We can get another 3 from the bottom of the B1G. He only needs to go 2-4 the rest fo the way. He can accomplish that. But can he consistently put us in a position to win conference championships (which includes beating Michigan)? Jury is still out on that one for me. But I am getting very close to reaching a verdict.

There's just a level of negativity that I can't stomach. The constant bitching about Pelini, how he's not good enough, not as good as the next guy, blah blah blah. It gets tiresome. People talk about benchmarks which are often arbitrary and based on chance as much as anything.

But you have to be able to measure him against something. Any job is benchmarked against peers. Performance is measured against productivity, goals achieved, etc. How many goals has Pelini reached? Academically the team is strong, but they were strong when he got here, and would be if he left. Off field incidents are not an issue, but they weren't really a major issue prior to him coming either. The culture has certainly been restored for the most part, which I think is a major (and often overlooked) achievement for Pelini.

However, at the end of the day I don't care what he says...it is about the trophy's. He has none. He's seconds away from having a couple though, in which case we likely wouldn't be having this discussion. But has he improved the team? Are they better today than they were 2 years ago, 1 second from taking out the #2 team in the country, winning a championship and going to a BCS bowl? I don't know. The defense has certainly fell off dramatically since then. The offense has improved...but it would be EXTREMELY difficult not to improve on that 2009 offense.

If you look at those Stanford teams...they took drastic leaps to get better. Their recruiting improved (Nebraska's hasn't), their records improved (Nebraska's hasn't). Today they are in a position to continue that winning tradition because the framework was laid down by Harbaugh. Do you think Pelini has the framework in place? I just don't see it. I believe he can win 9 games a season. We schedule 4 wins into the season every year. We can get another 3 from the bottom of the B1G. He only needs to go 2-4 the rest fo the way. He can accomplish that. But can he consistently put us in a position to win conference championships (which includes beating Michigan)? Jury is still out on that one for me. But I am getting very close to reaching a verdict.

Your logic is very flawed.

Pelini is 38-15 so far with 2 Championship appearences & Bill Calahan was 27-22 with one championship appearence, so yes Pelini has improved the Huskers.

His recruiting has not been bad. He has had two very small classes since he has been here. If you understand how reruiting is formulated you would understand that he has had some very good classes. Bill Callahan had a class that was considered to be one of the best if not the top class. That was because he took 35 players.

As far as your theory on getting to 9 win seasons (which Pelini has two 10 win seasons & a chance for a third) most teams have a very similar schedule, yet only six teams can claim this.

if Pelini could get half the athletes that LSU has to come here, every team in the NFL would be knocking down his door. Instead he continually produces good to great defenses and good teams with average talent... with walk ons that wouldnt start for any other D1 team. Nebraska is hard to recruit to. Period. There is nothing here to bring in the kind of athletes that we need, certainly not in a few short years. We have to take kids with potential and develop them, and hope they pan out. They arent just going to fall in our laps. What pelini has done with what he took over and the calibur of athletes he has is pretty remarkable. I can only imagine what he could do if he were in a recruiting hot bed in a major program. Maybe thats why smarter people then you and i have been calling him about job openings......miami osu psu michigan

I would rather measure him against what I think he should be doing. I know that's not measurable by anyone else and is totally arbitrary but I think that I know good coaching enough to know a good coach when I see him.

I see Pelini as a good and young coach with flaws. Probably just like you I have thrown things at the wall in anger at some of the things he has done. He could be a lot better at his job and that includes especially his behavior with the press and somewhat his behavior toward fans. I don't know anything about recruiting and to me the people who think they do are fooling themselves. I think the product on the field has been pretty good, but with big flaws, like the defense this year. But you can't argue that Aaron Green, Ameer and Heard are good recruits, and Stafford and David and Burkhead.

Stanford did get better, but it would be more impressive if nobody had done it there before. Walsh succeeded there, Ty Willingham took them to a Rose Bowl, and they've always had those academic standards. So it's not impossible to do there. Harbaugh is a good coach but I don't get the impression he's willing to stick around anywhere, so comparing him to Bo is like comparing Bo to a gypsie. He's a rolling stone, and it seems like Bo is sticking around for a while. Maybe not.

Your logic is very flawed.

Pelini is 38-15 so far with 2 Championship appearences & Bill Calahan was 27-22 with one championship appearence, so yes Pelini has improved the Huskers.

His recruiting has not been bad. He has had two very small classes since he has been here. If you understand how reruiting is formulated you would understand that he has had some very good classes. Bill Callahan had a class that was considered to be one of the best if not the top class. That was because he took 35 players.

As far as your theory on getting to 9 win seasons (which Pelini has two 10 win seasons & a chance for a third) most teams have a very similar schedule, yet only six teams can claim this.

very flawed? yet your benchmark for Pelini is Callahan? That seems flawed in itself. And while he improved from 2007-2008 (not hard w/ that defense), and from 2008-2009 (not hard considering where we were)...do you honestly think he's improved since then? I think the 2009 team would beat the 2011 team 80% of the time, maybe more. 2010 was no better than 09', 2011 isn't really any better than 2010. So while we may be a better team than 5-7 (obviously) we haven't gained much ground in the last few years. We'll improve in an area, and fall off dramatically in others. We haven't been anywhere near a complete team for more than spurt during Pelini's 4 years here.

Also, "if you understand how recruiting is formulated", you realize that the classes are ranked on 20 players. 35 or 90, it doesn't matter. His classes were ranked high because he signed guys like Suh, Octavien, Potter, Dillard, Hardy, Lucky, Brooks, Bowman, etc. That's some top shelf tallent. And Bo has small classes because of his decisions. He's the one that dictates the class size this year when he decides to redshirt an entire class of 25ish. Roster management.

• Fire 1

And Bo has small classes because of his decisions. He's the one that dictates the class size this year when he decides to redshirt an entire class of 25ish. Roster management.

Callahan oversigning 35 guys one year is also a factor in Bo's small class.

Has nothing to do w/ this year's class. And he signed 32 that year, and only 29 or so made it to campus. 4-5 were JUCOs which also had no impact on Pelini's classes.

EDIT: And remember, that class formed the bedrock of Pelini's best year (2009). That class had like 10 2009 starters.

• Fire 1