Bowl boycott

HuskerRoy

I am a college football fan that loves Nebraska, but try to never miss a major game. I will not be watching the NC game for any reason. Bama had their chance and blew due to not playing to win. Okie lite lost a game a day after two coaches were killed in a plane crash, the second tragedy in ten years. I would guess all knew them quite well. I would think it had an affect on them. Two weeks later they come back and crush their most hated rival. Deserve a shot no qustion.

I have come to really dislike the SEC and their damned chant over and over. Having two in the game, one who not only lost to number one, did not win their conference nor did they win their division. Do you really think that would have happened in any other conference but the SEC. ESPN was working it from day one it seemed to me.

KState and Boise setting at garbage bowls and VaTech losing their last game make a major bowl. What joke this year has turned out to be.

I have lost even more faith in the BCS this year. How this fraud continues is beyond me. Other than it is all based on MONEY FOR THE GOOD OLD BOYS!!!!!

I really was not trying to start a thread to discuss the merits of a playoff versus the merits of the current system...based on sports radio, tv, blogs, etc I actually thought most college football fans had long ago decided the current system was not a legitimate way to decide a champion. Based on the first few responses to this thread maybe not all fans have come to this conclusion.

For those fans that are fed up with the current system, I just wanted to offer up a way to really have our voice heard by using the power of our $$$. If you feel this way, please boycott the bowls or offer another way to have our votes heard.

If you enjoy the current system then I hope you have a very enjoyable bowl season and I will be right along side you cheering the Huskers at the start of the next regular season!!!

why does a playoff work for every college sport except Div1 football, hell even D2, D3, and NAIA schools have to win in the playoffs to be crowned champions. no system is perfect by any means, but it would be alot more fair to have regions and x number of teams from each region earn a spot in the playoffs. Like i said no system is perfect but damn at least let the teams settle it on the field instead of letting some system that is almost completely driven by money get tell us who they think should be in it. i mean all year the media talked about an alabama lsu national championship game and i would bet lots of money that if lsu would have lost to georgia in the sec championship game that lsu and alabama would have still been the two teams in the MNC game. the bcs system is all kinds of screwed up :rant

• Fire 2

Count me in as a guy who would like to see the seaded plus 1 as Herbie suggested. I don't want a big mess of a playoff but would like to see the top 4 decide it on the field.

Absolutely no to playoffs.....besides what you are suggesting only shifts the debate to who the top 4 teams will be. And end up with the same arguments about why team A has the tougher path to the championship and team B had the easier trip. No matter how you slice it, it still remains subjective and someone's panties are going to be in a bunch. :dunno

From a thread I started earlier....

My idea for a playoff

There are 12 Division 1 conferences so each champion from each conference gets an automatic spot and then 4 "wildcards" with no more than 2 from each conference in the playoffs. You automatically go to the highest ranked teams, i.e LSU wins the SEC and Alabama gets the wildcard because it did not win it's conference, but is the highest non automatic bid, and Arkansas would not get in because Alabama and LSU have used up 2 spots. The other teams still go to the bowls that their conferences are affiliated with, Michigan State to Rose Bowl because Wisconsin won the B1G so they go to the play off, etc. You seed the teams in the playoff according to their rankings, LSU plays the Sun Belt Champs (whoever they are,lol), and so on. Then you will have a real winner and not have someone in the MNC who didn't even play in their conference champ game. (And I am aware of 2001, and even though I love my Huskers, it was wrong)

No playoff, and move the MNC game back to New Years Day. Playing the big game on a Monday night 9 days after New Years is just plain STUPID! Let all the fans of 7-6 or 6-6 teams boycott their games. Wat too many bowls. Its getting to be like little kids soccer leagues that give every player a trophy.

T_O_B

G>B>R

A plus one is the bare minimum. An eight team would be probably be the best way. Champs from the SEC, B1G, Pac12, ACC and Big 12 with 3 at large. Yes I left out the Big East, when the BCS contract expires, the Big East won't be even close to a legit football conference. And I would use the AP poll for the at large teams and for seeding, not the coaches, Harris, or BCS. Another option would be an NCAA committee like in hoops.

Tell you what, I will support every other team's fans boycotting the bowls this year....but Husker fans are not going to lay down that easy...even in a so-so year. Expect to see a lot of Husker fans in Orlando...after all, it is a hell of a lot warmer down there than it is in Nebraska this time of year.

I'm not seeing the reason to boycott all the bowl games. I'll agree their ethics stink (Fiesta Bowl administration). We want a champion based on what happens on the field. Most years we have either more than two undefeated teams (USC, Oklahoma and Auburn about 5 years ago) or we have only one or no undefeated teams which seems to be the qualifications for making it to the big game (unless you aren't a BCS team). Our dilema is finding a legitmate way to determine at least 4 teams and possibly 8 for a playoff.

Coaches can't be counted on to vote honestly to choose who they really think is the best. Most coaches during the season have no idea about any schools outside their conference. They work 16 hours days to get ready for the next opponent. How would Bo or any Division 1 coach know anything more than a box score they read in the paper at break time on monday morning? I saw where Gary Pinkel (Missouri coach who will be a member of the SEC next year) voted OSU 4th and Stanford 3rd which helped to knock OSU further down the chain. You think he didn't get his marching orders?

Newspaper writers can't be counted on to honestly vote either. Their paycheck comes from advertisers who buy ad space in the very papers and magazines they work for. Many of those advertisers are boosters of local universities. The more papers and magazines they sell the better for their pocketbooks. We know we can't let Bowl Committees choose either because their first order of business is putting butts in seats and tourists in the local economy. (Virginia Tech this year). ESPN couldn't be trusted with any input.

I'd like to see a committee of College football savy people determine the 4 or 8 best teams. People who can be counted on to have the best interests of the public in mind. Not beholden to any conference or team. If it works out that a Big Ten team and a Pac 12 team make it in, they could play in the Rose Bowl. (unless they are the #1 and #2 seeds.) No more than 2 teams from any one conference and they would have to meet in the semi finals so as not to have one conference play for the national championship.

NAIA, NCAA div 3 and 2 all determine a champion from actual games. They play a 16 team playoff but that would require 4 games if you play in the finals and with the size of the men playing at Division 1, I think 8 is enough.

I'm confused, why would anyone say no to playoffs?

:yeah The Bowl system is so corupt it's not even funny! Unless you are one of the people lining your pockets with the cash then I don't understand why you wouldn't want a playoff. It's that way in every freak'n sport on earth almost, but yet it won't work in Div 1 College football???? There is no logical defense for no playoffs.

+1 Couldn't agree more! Alabama loses to LSU and basically gets a bye into the nat'l championship game while LSU has to risk their undefeated record and play an extra game while aforementioned Alabama rests? Yeah that makes sense!

What I needed to finish my rant with is this: I would agree to a boycott of this years Natl Championship Game. It will prove nothing and isn't what most football fans wanted unless you live south of the Mason Dixon Line. If Tostitos is the main sponsor you'll need to boycott all their products not just corn chips. Tostitos is owned by Frito Lay which is owned by PepsiCo. They would all need to feel the pinch with hundreds of thousands of boycott letters from all over the country and a pledge to not watch the game in any form.

I know that reasonable people can disagree on this topic, but I am wondering about those that do not want a playoff system in college football...do you have the same perspective in other sports or is this just unique to college football? If this is the best way to determine a champion, maybe we should stop March Madness and the College World Series and just let the top two teams play a game to determine the champion of that sport. To me it seems obvious that the basketball tourney and the College World Series are great events that add lots of excitement and let the decision be made on the field/court but I would be interested on others perspective.

I like the uniqueness of college football's bowl system. We have playoffs in all forms of basketball and nfl. Let's keep the variety. I have no problem with playoffs but I just get tired of people demanding to "fix" the BCS with a system every bit (if not more) as flawed...