Turner Gill to Nebraska?

JGS30

Was Turner here when Bo was here in 2003?

Yes. QBs Coach

So he has already worked with Bo (i.e. same team) so why wouldn't Bo want Turner as a QB coach if he could get him? (I don't think Turner will come back here just to be a QB coach-I see him as an HC in a division similar to Buffalo-where he coached before his stint at KU).

I would love to have Gill back as a QB coach. Played and coached under TO. He coached Crouch, Frost, Tommy, etc. Proven to have a kids best interest at heart, solid recruiting experience, knows what it takes to coach. He would be a home run if we can get rid of Cotton. Move Beck back to RB's and Brown back to TE (you know, when our TE's actaully did something). Plus if he stuck around, he may be good enough one day to take over for Bo, when he leaves for greener pastures.

I would love to have Stoops as a DC. If somehow we could get both, I would be in heave. But, realistically I would be happy just to land one decent coach with some decent experience at this level.

There was rumblings that Bo and Turner don't quite see eye to eye.

You're thinking of Scott Frost.

Yeah, I think those rumblings were about Frost.

Although they may also be about every coach not from Youngstown...mostly kidding ;)

I tried but can't find the article - there is one where Bo is asked about Gill being at Kansas in some capacity, and he brushed off the question pretty curtly. I think he said something like he doesn't pay attention to that stuff. Can anyone help me out, I'd love some clarity on this one. I just thought it was odd, given that Bo and Gill are former coworkers.

Gill as QB coach would be GREAT. Who knows if he'll come here, but he did crash in his first HC gig, so maybe he would be open to it. Probably a short time thing - one or two years at most, I suspect, before a promotion comes calling elsewhere. But wouldn't that be perfect? If Bo loves Joe Ganz so much as a near future QBs coach, a coaching great like Gill would be the perfect mentor.

I would love to have Gill back as a QB coach. Played and coached under TO. He coached Crouch, Frost, Tommy, etc. Proven to have a kids best interest at heart, solid recruiting experience, knows what it takes to coach. He would be a home run if we can get rid of Cotton. Move Beck back to RB's and Brown back to TE (you know, when our TE's actaully did something). Plus if he stuck around, he may be good enough one day to take over for Bo, when he leaves for greener pastures.

I would love to have Stoops as a DC. If somehow we could get both, I would be in heave. But, realistically I would be happy just to land one decent coach with some decent experience at this level.

I was in heave after the Northwestern game.

There was rumblings that Bo and Turner don't quite see eye to eye.

You're thinking of Scott Frost.

Yeah, I think those rumblings were about Frost.

Although they may also be about every coach not from Youngstown...mostly kidding ;)

I tried but can't find the article - there is one where Bo is asked about Gill being at Kansas in some capacity, and he brushed off the question pretty curtly. I think he said something like he doesn't pay attention to that stuff. Can anyone help me out, I'd love some clarity on this one. I just thought it was odd, given that Bo and Gill are former coworkers.

Gill as QB coach would be GREAT. Who knows if he'll come here, but he did crash in his first HC gig, so maybe he would be open to it. Probably a short time thing - one or two years at most, I suspect, before a promotion comes calling elsewhere. But wouldn't that be perfect? If Bo loves Joe Ganz so much as a near future QBs coach, a coaching great like Gill would be the perfect mentor.

Gill was a success in his first HC job (Buffalo). KU wasn't successful, but only being given two years after what he walked into is absolutely ridiculous. The biggest mistake Gill made with the KU job was taking it in the first place.

Sorry, I overlooked Buffalo. I like Gill and all, but I dunno if being fired after 3-9 and 2-10 seasons at Kansas is that ridiculous. Maybe he could have been given another year, but..

If you're only given 2 seasons in college football, you're really only given one recruiting class to succeed. He was able to put one real recruiting class together at the end of his first season - those guys were all freshmen in his second season, and he was fired before he could complete his second real recruiting class.

That's absurd.

Sorry, I overlooked Buffalo. I like Gill and all, but I dunno if being fired after 3-9 and 2-10 seasons at Kansas is that ridiculous. Maybe he could have been given another year, but..

If you're only given 2 seasons in college football, you're really only given one recruiting class to succeed. He was able to put one real recruiting class together at the end of his first season - those guys were all freshmen in his second season, and he was fired before he could complete his second real recruiting class.

That's absurd.

And he took over a team that finished the year prior 0-7 that was a senior heavy team and lost Todd Reesing, Desmond Briscoe, Kerry Meier, and Jake Sharp. KU just needs to accept the fact that they are a basketball school and can't really afford to fire a head coach after only two seasons.

The main thing Turner has going for him at UNL would probably be his loyalty to the program..You always wonder when Bo will bolt.

Turner is actually older than Bo, But Something seemed to change in him and my cousin since we were in school..Maybe even several years after they played at Montreal together..You can barely have a conversation with either of them without a mention of God in the 1st few sentences..Where with Tom, it was more of a quiet understanding.

Some of the restraints Turner put on his players seemed to backfire and I wonder if they would go "through a brick wall" for him..Maybe 1/2" sheetrock walls, but not the brick ones.

One's faith can be a great thing ....within reason. But once you start infringing on the players personal lives to where they suddenly have curfews when most never even had one while living at home? Might have negative effects on recruiting and basic team morale.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm more curious to see if what I heard about Phil Fulmer going to Kansas is true, rather than whatever happens to Gill. First Mangino, now Fulmer...is there some surplus of wicked cheap buffets in Lawrence or something?

fat-phil.jpg

Wouldn't know about the buffets, but it seems like they have A LOT of really good restaurants and sports bars with quality food.

Well one of the guys in this pick just got the kansas HC job, but it's the one in the back looking like he just spotted an open box of doughnuts.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm more curious to see if what I heard about Phil Fulmer going to Kansas is true, rather than whatever happens to Gill. First Mangino, now Fulmer...is there some surplus of wicked cheap buffets in Lawrence or something?

fat-phil.jpg

Wouldn't know about the buffets, but it seems like they have A LOT of really good restaurants and sports bars with quality food.

Well one of the guys in this pick just got the kansas HC job, but it's the one in the back looking like he just spotted an open box of doughnuts.

My uncle lives in Lawrence and honestly every time we go down there I think we eat at a new place and we haven't had a bad meal yet, I could see how that would be attractive to a few um... well rounded coaches.