Status update on Caputo and Eric Martin for CapOne Bowl

knapplc

Reading the tea leaves with the Caputo situation, it seems like he's going to play. Bo is talking to the press right now so there are no articles to link to, but a few tweets seem to indicate Bo isn't going to suspend him for the game:

@HuskerExtraSip Steven M. Sipple

Pelini holds off on decision regarding Caputo status. Says he has good idea what he wants to do.

@JonNyatawa Jon Nyatawa

Pelini said the status of C Mike Caputo (recently arrested on DUI suspicion) should be determined "in the next couple days" #Huskers

@JonNyatawa Jon Nyatawa

Pelini said he has a decent idea of how he'll discipline Caputo, but he wants to make sure he has all the info. Caputo practiced today

@HuskerExtraBC Brian Christopherson

Bo is holding off on Caputo decision but says Eric Martin will play. #Huskers

@JonNyatawa Jon Nyatawa

Pelini said DE Eric Martin (cited for leaving the scene of an accident) will play in the Cap1 Bowl. Disciplined internally #Huskers

And from Sipple a few days ago:

A hunch regarding Caputo

Posted by: Steve Sipple on December 17, 2011 at 1:38PM CST

My guess is Mike Caputo will play in the Capital One Bowl.

Remember, this is only a hunch.

However, it's a natural conclusion after hearing Bo Pelini's comments Friday -- the Nebraska coach's first extensive comments regarding Caputo's playing status in the wake of his arrest last weekend for suspicion of DUI. The key question by a reporter after Friday's practice: Is Caputo's situation different from those of Baker Steinkuhler and Rickey Thenarse last December?

"Yeah, I would say that," Pelini said.

Pelini announced Steinkuhler and Thenarse's Holiday Bowl suspensions right after their separate arrests for DUI. Pelini's comments Friday clearly put distance between Caputo's situation and those of Steinkuhler and Thenarse.

A lot of folks point out that Caputo, a senior center, is yet to be charged, and there's speculation charges may be reduced. I don't believe the possibility of reduced charges based on a technicality should be a major factor in Pelini's decision-making process.

We've read the police report. Caputo's blood-alcohol level was .103 percent. The legal limit in Nebraska is 0.08 percent. He was behind the wheel. The engine was running. Pelini arguably could suspend Caputo on those facts alone. Caputo made an error in judgment.

But I don't think Pelini will suspend Caputo, nor do I think the coach necessarily should suspend him.

Is Caputo's situation different from those of Baker Steinkuhler and Rickey Thenarse last December?

Indeed, we do not really have other options at center.

At least - that is why it will look bad.

Could be worse. He could have beat the crap out of his ex-girl friend while the new boy friend and back up QB hid in the closet listening to her get her face slammed against a wall, door and shatter a glass window. And then we let him play. Or he could have grabbed a Kearney chick by the throat held her against the wall, grab her by the VaJay Jay and said "you're gonna be my bitch tonight", get convicted of assault, charged with rape by a second lady, and still get to play. But thats ok...cause they won a national championship.

• Fire 1
Is Caputo's situation different from those of Baker Steinkuhler and Rickey Thenarse last December?

Could be worse. He could have beat the crap out of his ex-girl friend while the new boy friend and back up QB hid in the closet listening to her get her face slammed against a wall, door and shatter a glass window. And then we let him play. Or he could have grabbed a Kearney chick by the throat held her against the wall, grab her by the VaJay Jay and said "you're gonna be my bitch tonight", get convicted of assault, charged with rape by a second lady, and still get to play. But thats ok...cause they won a national championship.

Wow man, really? That was sure in great taste, and completely relevant.

• Fire 1

As an outsider looking in, I say if the cops drop the charges, or fail to charge him before the game, he's good to go. If they charge him (with DWI) before the game, he sits. If they change him after, congrats folks, you got lucky! ;)

Seems fair enough to me and I bet that's what you coach is waiting to find out...

The biggest difference I see here is the fact that TO basically never disciplined anyone. In that regard, he was consistent. Bo on the other hand was consistent with Thenarse and Baker, but nowhere even close with Caputo. So far, the Lincoln District Attorney hasn't gone public stating Bo has tampered with witnesses and hidden weapons wanted in a felony either.

I kind of have a problem with this. If you're going to discipline, at least be consistent. It would have been one thing had Caputo's car would have been running with him in it at the bar. However, it wasn't at the bar meaning it's highly probable that he drove to the parking lot where he was found.

Or he could have left his car there and been dropped off. In which case he was trying to do the right thing by sleeping it off (while not knowing about the dumb law that exists that a lot of people don't know about). I don't know the whole story though.

I kind of have a problem with this. If you're going to discipline, at least be consistent. It would have been one thing had Caputo's car would have been running with him in it at the bar. However, it wasn't at the bar meaning it's highly probable that he drove to the parking lot where he was found.

I think what we need to remember is what the U.S. was founded on. Innocent until proven guilty. Also remember, police reports are just that, reports. They are not depositions. Many reports don't include everything and alot of the time aren't completely accurate. If charges get reduced then Caputo will not be charged the same as Steinkuhler, etc so the discipline cannot be the same IMO.

• Fire 1