Does Spurrier hold a grudge from the ’96 Fiesta Bowl beatdown?

NUance

62-24. Seriously, the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl may have been thebiggest #1 over #2 beatdown in the history of college football. I wonder if Spurrier still holds a grudge from having his team humiliated by the Huskers on national TV in the biggest game of the year?

He might but I doubt it, Spurrier hasn't cared much for "special games" even when they involve him. Just look at how much attention he payed to Clemson when he was hired at USC or FSU at UF...

...but I have to say I don't get the preoccupation with this game for NU fans. This is the second thread about this game on HB alone and I know of at least one started on Cockytalk. NU beat a UF team 15 years ago...I don't think many players for either team really care.

There's a thread on cockytalk about the 1995 game, started by a Husker fan? Granted, I didn't search all that long, but I didn't see one. Was it removed?

Where is the second thread here? I'll merge it with this one.

I seem to remember him saying the morning after, "If we played these guys 10 times, they'd beat us 12 of 'em".

He was surprisingly humble after that thumping. He didn't make excuses, he just said something like, "We got beat, period." Something a lot like that. I don't think that's a game that you hold a grudge about. You hold a grudge about a close loss and an extra second on the clock :) But I really don't think that when you're so solidly outplayed and outclassed that a grudge carries over for the next decade and a half. Yeah, maybe if we'd faced them in 96 and he had the opportunity to run up the score he would have (see that season that Stoops blasted everyone in the BXII who'd beaten him in a down season... I think OU put 50+ on A&M in the first half). But, yeah, when you get thrashed like Florida did in the 95 championship, you look inward and try to figure out what went wrong. IMO, anyway.

62-24. Seriously, the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl may have been thebiggest #1 over #2 beatdown in the history of college football. I wonder if Spurrier still holds a grudge from having his team humiliated by the Huskers on national TV in the biggest game of the year?

He might but I doubt it, Spurrier hasn't cared much for "special games" even when they involve him. Just look at how much attention he payed to Clemson when he was hired at USC or FSU at UF...

...but I have to say I don't get the preoccupation with this game for NU fans. This is the second thread about this game on HB alone and I know of at least one started on Cockytalk. NU beat a UF team 15 years ago...I don't think many players for either team really care.

In defense of Huskerboard, one of those threads was probably Nebraska Option talking about what he assumed to be "last week's game".

There's a thread on cockytalk about the 1995 game, started by a Husker fan? Granted, I didn't search all that long, but I didn't see one. Was it removed?

Cockytalk Thread: prediction; Nebraska 62 South Carolina 24

The other one was about photos from the game, so probably unnecessary to merge it with this.

The other one was about photos from the game, so probably unnecessary to merge it with this.

So a bit of exaggeration on your part then. No worries.

So a bit of exaggeration on your part then. No worries.

Not really an exaggeration...I simply said Husker fans seem to be paying undue attention to that game as if it somehow affects the upcoming bowl. I think three threads about a game nearly 20 years ago that didn't involve your future opponent is undue but what do I know.

• Fire 1

It's one of the greatest games in Husker history. We talk about it here all the time. Like, all the time. Now that we're playing Spurrier again, it's natural that the 1995 game would come up again.

So maybe not an exaggeration on your part, but a misunderstanding of the board. Like I said - no worries.

It's one of the greatest games in Husker history. We talk about it here all the time. Like, all the time. Now that we're playing Spurrier again, it's natural that the 1995 game would come up again.

So maybe not an exaggeration on your part, but a misunderstanding of the board. Like I said - no worries.

I had heard very little about it prior to the announcement of the matchup but you would know the course of discussion on HB better than I. Fair enough.

stop fighting! it is christmas week! i come here to avoid petty fights, if i wanted incessant bickering, i would go home for the holidays.

I had heard very little about it prior to the announcement of the matchup but you would know the course of discussion on HB better than I. Fair enough.

stop fighting! it is christmas week! i come here to avoid petty fights, if i wanted incessant bickering, i would go home for the holidays.

As far as Knapp-Badger spats have gone this is nothing. Remember that time you and your pet monkey took turns throwing poop at my car? That was ugly