South Carolina's D-line will provide tall challenge for NU

NUance

this is my first post here, but i have been lurking and reading...i will say im a Carolina fan, while Rex does pose a big problem and your corner on AJ as well...this D-Line is the best you will have faced all season and i look foward to the game tomorrow. here is to a great game and continued good relations between the 2 fanbases.

• Fire 1

this is my first post here, but i have been lurking and reading...i will say im a Carolina fan, while Rex does pose a big problem and your corner on AJ as well...this D-Line is the best you will have faced all season and i look foward to the game tomorrow. here is to a great game and continued good relations between the 2 fanbases.

Welcome mikeboss, hopefully it's a close and exciting game! But you USC fans are welcome around regardless of outcome, unless you also root for the badgers, in which case we just ask that you funnel all posts through badgerfan, so half of us here can pretend he's a troll and the other half can have a sense of humor.

I was more worried about Penn State's stud DTs than I am South Carolina's stud DEs. Don't get me wrong, they're great players, but our tackles are quite a bit better than our inside guys by my estimation.

In that case keep the name Kelcy Quarles in mind. Hes our freshman DT who has improved every game.

We have faced decent D lines in MSU and Penn St. Is Carolina better? In some aspects sure. It all comes down to play calling that will negate their speed. This is where I am concerned. Beck's play calling seems void of play action (consistently) and of mis-direction. These two will kill a team that puts their ears back and rushes in. It causes over pursuit and for them to commit to the wrong lane. I look at how some teams this year did exactly this against us. They rolled the QB away from pursuit, did draws and play action to negate any type of speed advantage we had.

Beck will need to call a solid 4 quarter game. Again, something I have not scene enough of this year. Iowa and MSU being the most complete to me.

I would also like to see designed QB runs that gets Martinez past their rush and into the second level before they even realize he is gone. Designed run plays (limited this year IMO because of injury fears) for him should be all throughout the game plan. Would also love to see JT in as well. His speed would really help.

Another thing to watch is if we can simply make gains with the running game off tackle. This negates speed as well. Straight ahead, hat on hat. Now is when I wish we really had a bigger RB who could pound their D Line.

Should be a great game.

We HAVE to win first downs.....................................can't play 2nd and 8 all game..........................if Beck can get us to 2nd and 2's or 3's, I like our chances to control things...............(Mr. Obvious)

Well said (obvious or not). If they stuff our 1st down runs it hurts us badly. As Lo Country just said, we really, really need some zone-read and/or mis-direction plays to get Tmart some vintage 40+ yd scorching runs. It's the last game Bo....go for it!

We HAVE to win first downs.....................................can't play 2nd and 8 all game..........................if Beck can get us to 2nd and 2's or 3's, I like our chances to control things...............(Mr. Obvious)

Well said (obvious or not). If they stuff our 1st down runs it hurts us badly. As Lo Country just said, we really, really need some zone-read and/or mis-direction plays to get Tmart some vintage 40+ yd scorching runs. It's the last game Bo....go for it!

Auburn had some success doing this against us. They didn't have a lot of yardage, or pts (16) but we couldn't get them off the field in the 4th qtr. They pounded us up the middle over and over and then ran some effective misdirection and end arounds that had us on our heels. For the most part though, over pursuit has not been a problem since they recover so quickly. And don't look for many 40+ runs. This team does not give up that kind of yardage. Usually going to have to put together 12 play drives and stay out of long yardage situations, and I think you will have some success doing that. But redzone scoring may be a problem.

Auburn had some success doing this against us. They didn't have a lot of yardage, or pts (16) but we couldn't get them off the field in the 4th qtr. They pounded us up the middle over and over and then ran some effective misdirection and end arounds that had us on our heels. For the most part though, over pursuit has not been a problem since they recover so quickly. And don't look for many 40+ runs. This team does not give up that kind of yardage. Usually going to have to put together 12 play drives and stay out of long yardage situations, and I think you will have some success doing that. But redzone scoring may be a problem.

If they let Martinez run like last year, I would not be so confident in that statement. Y'all have played "better" QB's for sure, but not one as fast. His first step is the quickest most have ever seen. His straight line speed is amazing to see.............. Unfortunately, it is the east/west/scrabbling that is not so great. If he gets to the second level untouched, he is gone. Bo and Beck just have not allowed these type of designed plays all year.

As bshirt said, this is the time to let it all hang out. A chance to go out on a great note and beat a great team in the process. Helps recruiting and off season moral to build for next year.