The Lions, and the NFL replay.

redblooded

Lions are probably about to go one and done to the saints in the playoffs, but this thread isn't about that. It's about "pro" football's replay rules.

Suh and his detroit defense got embarrassed today, let me start by saying that. Not to Rodgers but to LSU's QB when Pelini won his NC, Matt Flynn. Good for that dude... and also for everyone that is a Green Bay Homer, Detroit had opportunities to win the game, nobody is disputing that (why should they have too, everyone that says that is a moron... the game should be fair first).

But then there is this: After a bad fumble call, that was challenged and reversed. Topped by a bad fumble call that was challenged and not reversed. Detroit is out of challenges for the game. Then we get this, shortly after those two calls, and still in the first half:

Sorry I cant find youtube embedable video. 1:15 at this link. http://www.nfl.com/v...kers-highlights

This is "pro football." Obvious touchdown just nullified by blind officiating and unable to review because Detroit was out of "challenges." This is the league a ton of people watch? Green Bay is celebrating? I hope they don't change the rules before karma gets them in the ass. But how can anyone watch this "football"? It's absolutely horribly officiated, with pansy rules to protect "franchises" and just pretty much the antithesis of what football should be and proud of that to the point they are changing these rules for the worse all the time. I'd change the name of the thread to NFL, how can you freaking watch that crap? I can't. However, I'm not watching it anymore.

Beyond this commercial:

It's been a bust as long as I've been alive. (also Aly Landry got hot)

Green Bay's been screwed out of its fair share of games and went through decades of mediocrity so don't give me that "protecting franchises" stuff. We compete just like any other team...and what exactly do you want? Teams that play the Packers to be given an extra challenge to protect them from Refs? Please.

Schwartz knows the rules and he should've known when he threw out the first flag that if he didn't get his way that'd be it. I don't feel bad for him, sometimes things just don't shake your way.

I want one simple thing while watching football, and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything you just said...

Scores should count.

That's it.

It goes for the Lions and the Bears last season too when Johnson caught it in the endzone but didn't "complete the process". The two prime examples I can cite. Argue that that wasn't a touchdown catch, that is the only actual argument there. Other then that it's bullsh#t rules that disqualified a score and homerism.

If the NFL is serious about being "pro" then it should get the right calls, no matter how. I trust a camera more they any zebra, I sure as hell trust a camera more then I trust a zebra in flurries and wind while it's sub thirty degrees. Cause I know from sitting out in actual fields in those conditions... that's when eyes water.

Please expand on your point. You think because the game was played in Green Bay plays were called in their favor?

I think a game played in any outdoor location in those conditions, with the rules they have in place, it has a greater chance to be called badly. Elements should affect teams only. My point is the official that called that touchdown catch out of bounds obviously had some tearing at the bottom of his eyes because of the elements.

Were those calls not bad? well at least they could go to replay twice and make sure. after that it was, "we'll just have the same blurry eyed zebra's wing it, with nobody checking they were right."

Welcome to pro football, where they'll pay these kids millions of dollars for wins and make sure nobody can touch them beyond the ribcage, but the freaking officials can just wing it.

I agree, except the asinine thing is, they would have if the official would have ruled it a touchdown. Then it would have been reviewable. Because he didn't and Detroit was out of challenges it wasn't reviewable. So call officially blown by the official, but that's the way it should go in the NFL if you've protested that the officials suck too much already,

F - t - N - F - L.

Green Bay's been screwed out of its fair share of games and went through decades of mediocrity so don't give me that "protecting franchises" stuff. We compete just like any other team...and what exactly do you want? Teams that play the Packers to be given an extra challenge to protect them from Refs? Please.

Schwartz knows the rules and he should've known when he threw out the first flag that if he didn't get his way that'd be it. I don't feel bad for him, sometimes things just don't shake your way.

you really are the ultimate homer old man, you argue with anyone who says even 1 bad word about your team even if it is obvious you are wrong! past history has no bearing on an obviously bad call and some obviously flawed rules in the NFL.....

The lion's aren't the first team this year to get screwed over by the rules and they won't be the last. I said from the start of the season that reviewing every scoring play isn't far unless you're going to review every non-scoring play that was close to being a touch down, it's just a double standard. The only way that rule can be justified is by the fact that almost every other rule benefits the offense in extreme ways and this is the only on that remotely benefits the defense.

And the whole completing the catch thing is beyond moronic. I forget which game it was last week, could have been Sunday night or Monday night game, but the guy caught the ball and hit the ground which cause the ball to become displace when he was out of bounds. It was ruled a catch on the field but when it was reviewed it was overturned. He clearly had possession of the ball for an instant before he hit the ground and it was dislodged, it defiantly would have been a catch at the college level, but it was overturned. I don't understand how the ground can't cause a fumble on any running play yet it can cause an incomplete pass on a ball that is clreay possessed by a receiver in bounds and only lost out of bounds when he finished falling.

you really are the ultimate homer old man, you argue with anyone who says even 1 bad word about your team even if it is obvious you are wrong! past history has no bearing on an obviously bad call and some obviously flawed rules in the NFL.....

I am obviously wrong? Show me the statement I made that was incorrect because I'm pretty sure there wasn't one.

Call me what you like but I'm not being unreasonable. I have two thoughts on this issue:

1. Detroit was screwed out of a Touchdown. (Here redblooded and I agree)

2. Green Bay had NOTHING to do with the screwing. (Here we disagree)

Sure, maybe I was being a homer in the sense that I was defending my team. If this thread were purely about officiating I wouldn't have a problem because I whole heartily agree that it sucks but I don't feel blaming the Packers is the right way to approach the point, so yea I'm going to be a homer. You would too if I made a thread about a questionable call in a NU game saying. "Celebrate now Huskers its going to bite you in the ass", "Of course only the Nebraska Homers are happy" and "of course refs make calls in favor of the great programs to protect them when they're not sure" because all of those disrespect NU.

Not to Rodgers but to LSU's QB when Pelini won his NC, Matt Flynn. Good for that dude... and also for everyone that is a Green Bay Homer,

Green Bay is celebrating? I hope they don't change the rules before karma gets them in the ass. But how can anyone watch this "football"? It's absolutely horribly officiated, with pansy rules to protect "franchises"

When I asked redblooded to elaborate and his tune seemed to change from "Blame the Packers" to "Blame the Weather" I backed off because I don't disagree.

The NFL changed the rule this year to review all plays in question that were ruled a touchdown on the field but not questionalbe plays ruled NOT a TD. This is stupid and will hopefully be fixed.

The college system is much better. Why not have somone in the booth looking at everything and stop play when they need to. Saves time and gets most things right.