Callahan says he made no throat-slashing gesture

People see it as a throat slash gesture because that's all they want to see. I guess now according to some people (we all know who i am talking about), you are guilty untill proven innocent. :blink:

If it was a throat slash, big F*ing deal. If i was a coach, i would be fed up with this pathetic officiating from the Big12 all year long, and quite honestly, and i know i speak for 98% of the fans that Callahan has every right to be fed up with it and if it lead to a throat slash gesture, so be it.

If it wasn't a throat slash gesture, then i hope Callahan comes out and says it was because something needs to be said about officiating. This is ridiculous you can't call out the refs. I liked the old big8 because you could call out refs untill your eyes popped out. Now it seems like refs are untouchable.

:yeah

LJS article

Callahan: 'Gesture-Gate' Blown Out Of Proportion

Callahan: Gesture-gate blown out of proportion

Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan said his infamous gesture stemmed from frustration, wasn’t directed at game officials and has been blown out of proportion.

“It’s Gesture-gate or something,” Callahan said Tuesday, drawing laughter at his weekly press conference.

“I don’t know where this is all coming from. I was frustrated at the time, and I did make a gesture out of frustration, which I normally have done with my own children, when I’ve had it up to here with a certain aspect.

“I’m 49 years old, and I don’t go around (with) throat-slashing signs and symbols. I don’t use that type of demeanor. I never have.”

Callahan’s gesture occurred after he argued with an official in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s 31-24 loss to Oklahoma. Callahan, with his right index finger extended, made a motion from his left shoulder to his right shoulder, crossing his throat.

The Big 12 Conference is reviewing video, and Nebraska officials have until today to respond to the league office with a written review of the situation and any actions they may take. The Big 12 can accept those actions or request further punishment.

“I don’t think they’re going to send me to Alcatraz or anything,” Callahan said.

“I was really frustrated, and I’m going to fight for our team. I’m going to fight for our players. That’s my prerogative as a head coach.”

Callahan said he spoke Monday night with Tim Millis, coordinator of football officials for the Big 12, and assured Millis he meant no malicious intent with the gesture.

Millis’ response?

“He said, ‘Bill, we don’t know anything that you’re talking about. There was no flag, there was no report.’”

Callahan took the same “what are you talking about?” approach Tuesday when initially asked about the gesture. He then elaborated, at times humorously.

Players seemed unfazed by the gesture hoopla.

“I didn’t even realize it until this morning,” defensive end Jay Moore said. “Some of the guys didn’t even realize it happened. No one’s really talked about it. There is no distraction whatsoever.”

Quarterback Zac Taylor, who said he hasn’t seen video of the gesture, said the situation has been blown out of proportion.

“I know Coach Callahan, and when he says he’s not doing that,” Taylor said, “I believe him.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

Callahan Denies Middle Finger Salute to Cops

Lincoln, NEBRASKA (GSR) - University of Nebraska head football coach Bill Callahan was ticketed today after making an obscene gesture to a Lincoln cop during a routine traffic stop.

An onboard camera appeared to show Callahan raising his right arm before extending his middle finger towards one of the officers. The Huskers’ coach denied such allegations.

“This is how I tell my kids they’re number one,” Callahan said.

“I learned this new method of complimenting other people during my two-year tenure in the NFL with the Raiders. So I was simply expressing my appreciation to the officer for the job he was doing.”

This guy is good with gestures. Maybe after you run him out of Lincoln he can start a career with finger puppets.

I guess my question is, why did he deny everything, and then say it is something he does to his kids? Which is it?

Yes, the world is far too politically correct. But like it or not, that is how it is...and just the fact he's being questioned on it shows that.

My problem with Cally is that he put himself in this situation in the first place. As a head coach, IMO he should know he's in the public eye, and not do anything that is remotely close to offensive. Ask the supreme court...he was in the public arena and they say anything in the public arena is up for scrutiny.

Maybe people like us don't care, but many others do. I don't have a problem with the gesture itself, it's that he did it knowing it is not politically correct. What if he didn't know (even though as a former NFL coach, he should know, considering the NFL has outlawed it)? Any lawyer will tell you, "Ignorance isn't a defense."

Personally, I first thought he was showing how his player was grabbed, but the fact that he first denied it and now says it's something else puzzles the heck outta me. :wacko:

Personally, I first thought he was showing how his player was grabbed, but the fact that he first denied it and now says it's something else puzzles the heck outta me. :wacko:

I guess my question is, why did he deny everything, and then say it is something he does to his kids?

It was Professor Plumb in the hall with the candlestick.

Yes, the world is far too politically correct.  But like it or not, that is how it is...and just the fact he's being questioned on it shows that.

Doesn't mean we have to accept it, and it definately doesn't mean we have to add to its idiocy.

My problem with Cally is that he put himself in this situation in the first place.  As a head coach, IMO he should know he's in the public eye, and not do anything that is remotely close to offensive.  Ask the supreme court...he was in the public arena and they say anything in the public arena is up for scrutiny.

He did put himself into that arena and he is in the public eye; but doing absoluty nothing that is offensive to anyone is impossible. Football is offensive to some people. If the gesture offended some people, so be it. I bet most people who are now offended, became so after the fact. Supreme Court Judge....football coach, I see the connection. Both are expected to act in a similar fashion :sarcasm .

Maybe people like us don't care, but many others do.  I don't have a problem with the gesture itself, it's that he did it knowing it is not politically correct. 

Even better! That would make me like the gesture even more.

What if he didn't know (even though as a former NFL coach, he should know, considering the NFL has outlawed it)?  Any lawyer will tell you, "Ignorance isn't a defense."

When would he be eligible for parole if convicted? Would the lawyer seek the death penalty? :lol:

It was Professor Plumb in the hall with the candlestick.

:lol:

Doesn't mean we have to accept it, and it definately doesn't mean we have to add to its idiocy.

Yes, it does, actually. In the NFL, a person can and will get fined for making the gesture. It is possible the Big XII will fine BC if they find it was a throat slash. If you go around saying the "N" word in public, it is possible you could get in trouble with the law. Sorry, facts of life. If you want to be politically incorrect, that is your decision. But someone in the public eye shouldn't, IMHO. Do you like how this act has reflected on NU? I certainly don't like all of the negative publicity it has generated. You can say all you want about its lunacy (and I do agree with you), but we do live in a "politically correct" world, like it or not.

He did put himself into that arena and he is in the public eye; but doing absoluty nothing that is offensive to anyone is impossible. Football is offensive to some people. If the gesture offended some people, so be it. I bet most people who are now offended, became so after the fact. Supreme Court Judge....football coach, I see the connection. Both are expected to act in a similar fashion

Dude, re-read my post. I didn't compare a football coach to a Supreme Court Judge...the supreme court has made many decisions on being in "the public eye".

My point was that someone in the public eye should know better.

Impossible to not offend? Probably true, but how many coaches do you know that have called people "f-ing hillbillys" or have made a gesture that looks like a throat slash? Or anything similar? I am talking about a coach on the sidelines, btw. And don't bring up Bobby Knight, he lost his job because of his antics. That would only support my arguement. Provide me some links if you can find them. I think, by the way, Pete Carroll's act should have been as maligned as BC's...but the media loves to pick on NU, and USC is a media darling right now.

And if you were anything except a comedian, you'd probably get in trouble with your company in the least. If you are in business for yourself, you have a good chance of losing business. Why do you think radio stations stopped carrying "shock jocks" like Howard Stern? He is politically incorrect, and they were losing business. Plus, the FCC fined Stern for doing what he does. There is a picture larger than ourselves, and our opinions, here. We're talking about the general consensus. Hard to put a finger on, but true nonetheless. I hate the FCC, but I could see them getting involved here and fining BC for inappropriate stuff on TV. They are radical enough to do it, too!

When would he be eligible for parole if convicted? Would the lawyer seek the death penalty?

Not sure what you're getting at here...but a player or coach can be fined for gestures like this one. Maybe I just don't understand your sense of humor!

I do understand your point of view. But as the head coach of a major university, and on television, he should know better, IMHO. Maybe in your line of work, you can flip people off all the time, make throat slashing gestures, and things like that and get away with it. You have great job security! That's terrific! But most of the rest of us have to live in this stupid "politically correct" world, like it or not...

Probably true, but how many coaches do you know that have called people "f-ing hillbillys" or have made a gesture that looks like a throat slash? Or anything similar? I am talking about a coach on the sidelines, btw.

How about Joe Pa running after the officials and hanging that doll of an official outside his office. Does this count?

This crap is retarded. Let's all go hug a tree sing Joan Baez and try not to offend anyone. People are way to uptight these days.

I'm sure "Drunk" Devaney never did anything bad while he was in the public eye.

Carriker better stop throwing up the bones he might offend someone.

If you go around saying the "N" word in public, it is possible you could get in trouble with the law.

Not with the law. Actually the law protects free speech (for now anyway). Might get your a$$ kicked though.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that BC should conduct himself in a manner proper to his position, but what he did is in no way deserving of an investigation. I see coachs throwing hat, clipboards, etc on a regular basis. I see them yelling at the refs all of the time. This is no different, unless someone actually thinks he REALLY wanted to slit the throat of the ref. If so, they are retarded.

He did put himself into that arena and he is in the public eye; but doing absoluty nothing that is offensive to anyone is impossible. Football is offensive to some people. If the gesture offended some people, so be it. I bet most people who are now offended, became so after the fact. Supreme Court Judge....football coach, I see the connection. Both are expected to act in a similar fashion
Dude, re-read my post.  I didn't compare a football coach to a Supreme Court Judge...the supreme court has made many decisions on being in "the public eye". 

My point was that someone in the public eye should know better. 

Impossible to not offend?  Probably true, but how many coaches do you know that have called people "f-ing hillbillys" or have made a gesture that looks like a throat slash?  Or anything similar?  I am talking about a coach on the sidelines, btw.  And don't bring up Bobby Knight, he lost his job because of his antics.  That would only support my arguement.  Provide me some links if you can find them.  I think, by the way, Pete Carroll's act should have been as maligned as BC's...but the media loves to pick on NU, and USC is a media darling right now.

First of all, did you call me dude? :cheers Second of all, in no way would I ever bring up Bobby Knight (I am not one of those pinheads). Actually, I was thinking more along the line of coaches like Ditka, Norv Turner, and Bill Cowher just to name a few, that have had there moments of scrutiny for acts of emotion. I know what you meant by the public eye, but the Supreme court is in a another total realm as a coach. But I did get your point.

And if you were anything except a comedian, you'd probably get in trouble with your company in the least.  If you are in business for yourself, you have a good chance of losing business.  Why do you think radio stations stopped carrying "shock jocks" like Howard Stern?  He is politically incorrect, and they were losing business.  Plus, the FCC fined Stern for doing what he does.  There is a picture larger than ourselves, and our opinions, here.  We're talking about the general consensus.  Hard to put a finger on, but true nonetheless.  I hate the FCC, but I could see them getting involved here and fining BC for inappropriate stuff on TV.  They are radical enough to do it, too! 

Not a comedian, but my occupation actually requires me to look at the many ways society conducts itself, and I will won't be fired or lose my business. Actually, there has been a constant rise of shock radio over the last 5 years. Stern is simply the face man that the FCC used to send a message. Don't kid yourself, movies, tv, radio, internet, and books are all finding new ways to shock or to push the limits of what is or should be acceptable. FCC could not fire Callahan, they could ban broadcasts of UN football, but not fire him. If that happened he would probably be fired by the university though.

When would he be eligible for parole if convicted? Would the lawyer seek the death penalty?
Not sure what you're getting at here...but a player or coach can be fined for gestures like this one.  Maybe I just don't understand your sense of humor! 

I was being facetious. Simply pointing out that once again we can bring things way too far.

I do understand your point of view.  But as the head coach of a major university, and on television, he should know better, IMHO.  Maybe in your line of work, you can flip people off all the time, make throat slashing gestures, and things like that and get away with it.  You have great job security!  That's terrific!  But most of the rest of us have to live in this stupid "politically correct" world, like it or not...

I actually could...I guess it is a great job. I understand yours as well, but I think it is up to people in the spotlight to push the envelope. I still don;t know what BC's actual intent was (don't care either), but I bet the next set of referees call some holding penalties. If they do, it was worth a fine!