Attitude Reflects Leadership

I think people just like to try and kick a dog while he's down. God forbid every statement they make is under a microscope or every detail of their job or personal life it considered public information. I will bet my next two weeks pay the majority of people on this board couldn't perform their jobs as well as Bo does at the level that he does and under the pressure that he faces.

I agree to an extent. At the same time, isnt that the reason coaches get paid 2-3 million a year at a gig like Nebrasaka? Isnt that known when you take a job like this? It isnt just Nebraska, its like this all over, in every major college or pro team. Take a look at OSU fans, Bama fans, USC, texas fans.... we are tame compared to some of the big dogs.

I feel bad for Bo, but his utter distain for the fans and media over the years..... gets no sympathy from me. I support the guy, I'm just not going to coddle him. At the same time, I am not going to kick him when he is down either.

I trust TO and if he trust Bo, then I trust Bo too.

I've seen a number of people connect Bo's sideline antics to the lack of discipline on the field, especially in regard to penalties.

My question would be, how come it seems like only the offensive line is affected? It's not like we see a rash of offsides penalties or pass interference penalties or facemask penalties or personal fouls when those meltdowns happen. It's always false starts and holding penalties.

If there are statistics for the most penalties we had this year by unit, I have a feeling offensive line would by far be the highest. Granted, however, an offensive line can be called for a lot more than most units. With false starts, holding, hands to the face, clipping, blocks in the back, etc., all coming into play, they have a lot more to be called for. Still, I don't disagree with you in what I think is your overwhelming point - the offensive line is one of if not the biggest problem on this team.

melscott62, you bring up a point I've talked about before - accountability. Matt Davison spoke about it on Husker Sports Nightly weeks ago. He said when he played, and the offense messed up, guys like Jason Peter, Wistrom, etc., would be down there giving the offense what for and telling them to step it up. The offense would do things similarly. Veterans also played a huge role in holding players accountable. Davison was under the impression guys weren't doing this, and he specifically referenced the Michigan loss.

That said, I don't know what to think about it. It's not like all good teams have players that hold one another accountable, because there obviously isn't just one way to be a winner.

while i agree some of it is on Bo, some of it is on the veterans too. i've heard some of the 90's lineman talk about the pressure from the upperclassman and how they knew they couldnt make mistakes...... thats not there now.

Yes! I see that too! I don't see the upperclassmen getting into these young guys face. We need that kind of leadership.

I've seen a number of people connect Bo's sideline antics to the lack of discipline on the field, especially in regard to penalties.

My question would be, how come it seems like only the offensive line is affected? It's not like we see a rash of offsides penalties or pass interference penalties or facemask penalties or personal fouls when those meltdowns happen. It's always false starts and holding penalties.

If there are statistics for the most penalties we had this year by unit, I have a feeling offensive line would by far be the highest. Granted, however, an offensive line can be called for a lot more than most units. With false starts, holding, hands to the face, clipping, blocks in the back, etc., all coming into play, they have a lot more to be called for. Still, I don't disagree with you in what I think is your overwhelming point - the offensive line is one of if not the biggest problem on this team.

melscott62, you bring up a point I've talked about before - accountability. Matt Davison spoke about it on Husker Sports Nightly weeks ago. He said when he played, and the offense messed up, guys like Jason Peter, Wistrom, etc., would be down there giving the offense what for and telling them to step it up. The offense would do things similarly. Veterans also played a huge role in holding players accountable. Davison was under the impression guys weren't doing this, and he specifically referenced the Michigan loss.

That said, I don't know what to think about it. It's not like all good teams have players that hold one another accountable, because there obviously isn't just one way to be a winner.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. I've never been a fan of having different captains for each game. Vote on captains in fall camp and let them lead the team for the entire season.

while i agree some of it is on Bo, some of it is on the veterans too. i've heard some of the 90's lineman talk about the pressure from the upperclassman and how they knew they couldnt make mistakes...... thats not there now.

Yes! I see that too! I don't see the upperclassmen getting into these young guys face. We need that kind of leadership.

Exactly. Did you see Blackmon in the game last night. Getting into the faces of his team mates. Vocal leader. When have you seen anyone from NU the past few years get in a team mates face?

How about the perception of Bo's dog house. You screw up you are benched. Never to be seen again. That a got to py into a guys mind. Make them play more cautious. Play slower. How does Osbourne or Smith feel watching less athletic guys playing and looking like toast still in the line up.

Had some friends discuss this...don't shoot the messenger but do you all think there's any link between Bo's demeanor and Dennard losing his cool?

No. Bo's temper was much worse last year. Fonzie has one up against great, if not better receivers, the past 2 years. I think it was a combination of Fonzie nd Alshon going at it. From the film looks like Alshon pushes, Fonzie pushes back, Alshon gabs facemak, Fonzie throws punch.

To me, worse thn the ejections and behavior wa the ZMVP, being awarded to. Young man and possible role model who was thrown out. Rewarding anyone, even a Husker, who was ejected is wrong and sends a horrific message.

i wouldn't say that, after his rant for the pass interference call, the DB's had a blown coverage and that made for a lob throw for a SC touchdown...no one within 10 yards of their receiver.

Or, you know, maybe it was the obvious OPI call missed. But, you're right. Let's just blame Bo being angry.

I do think Bo is the guy for the job, but agree that some mellowing would be helpful.

It seems the 3rd down "bring the house" call following the sidleine rant was an emotional playcall that spilled over from the rant. That was a big moment in the game that called for some poise.

I think you'll find teams that execute on a high level and play penalty free football tend to have more poised and business like leaders.

I'm sure it's a growing process. After all, T.O. was more lively in his early years!

Had some friends discuss this...don't shoot the messenger but do you all think there's any link between Bo's demeanor and Dennard losing his cool?

No. Haven't seen any Nebraska player do that in a long time. Probably since Kellen Huston.

I've seen a lot of fights break out in college games recently. Are those all to be blamed on the coach as well?

Not sure about Dennard's incident (him and Jeffery were both playing very physical), but you could link Bo's demeanor and the teams compete loss of focus.

no you can't.

I think you can make that argument, about Bo's demeanor and being reflected in the team's lack of focus. You can't say, "Bo's demeanor was _________, and it resulted in the team being ________" or anything to that precision, but it is a worthwhile talking point.

How the leaders on the team act during games - both players and coaches - have an effect on the team around them. With all the avoidable collapses we've seen recently, it is something of a concern, and a valid one, I think.

That said, I think Fonzie's fight was just Fonzie's never-back-down attitude. His swag is normally a very admirable quality about him, but he let it get away from him that time, something he can't be proud of. Very difficult to draw a connection to Bo, though I suppose it's not impossible.

I didn't see anybody else get ejected yesterday, and I haven't seen anybody get ejected during Pelini's tenure other than Dennard. So, to answer your question, no.

Is there a possible link between Pelini and the team's overall demeanor? Some want to make that argument. I bet there are some coaches out there who have a far better reputation than Pelini who have had more players ejected.