Callahan's a LOSER

I don't think the spread option is a "west coast" type offense.

I thought that was a bit of a stretch. I would agree with the rest of his teams. But not Florida. Maybe not OU and Tech. But they have plays that would fall under the WCO.

They just said on Big Red Wrapup that Urban Meyer did run some WCO. Crap Nameless don't go dancing in the streets with this one.

The spread offense actually incorporates alot of what the original WCO use to before it got watered down by other versions. You have different variations of it depending on which school you are breaking down film on. A lot of the plays Florida St runs for example right now are similiar to what Urban is doing at Florida at the moment but with a different dimension to them.

What irritates me the most is people who say the WCO can't work in the college level, specially in colder weather climates, the 1997 Packers would beg to differ who won a Superbowl with it. Urban Meyers practically built his offense after reading one of the most infamous West coast offense playbooks called Football's West Coast offense that was published in 1997. It has plays, formations, terminology, and how to gameplan against opposing coaches who run similiar offenses. If anyone TRUELY wants to understand why Urban Meyers became a hot coach overnight at Bowling Green and Utah, then pick up the book and read it. He's admitted in an interview that he's basically running plays from that book.

Did you even watch the game?? Switzer clearly stated the shot (after stating how glad he was that he never had to play NU in the 90's) that TOs offense would still work today, the problem is that no coaches are desciples of it. I have the tape on film. Get copy. You're flat out wrong.

That's just sad you can't realize Switzer was only being generous. There's a reason WHY there are NO coaches who are desciples of the option. If the option was such a wonderful offense then explain to me why Florida St or Miami or Texas or Oklahoma or USC or Notre Dame for that matter did not try to switch their offense to a option offense that won 3 national titles in 4 years in the 90's. Logic says you switch to an offense that is winning national titles and none of those teams did it. Let me repeat that so you can absorb it. IF the OPTION offense was such a wonderful offense, then WHY IN THE HELL did these teams never try to duplicate TO's offense in order to win national titles?

If that's not the case, then explain why Utah went to the spread (WCO, however you want to define it) ofense under Meyer. Same thing for Florida, Florida St, Miami, USC, CAL, UCLA, Washington, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. <_<

Hold on a second. Switzer was not "being generous", he was telling the truth. Everyone in that stadium knew that Nebraska could have used Osborne's playbook. As for why the other teams didn't run the option to win national titles is a very good question. Switzer said that there were just no disciples of the option anymore, for whatever reason. Who deemed the option ineffective? The offense-efficiency god? Just because Solich did not run it well his last few years doesn't mean it doesn't work. If you tried to run any offense while not having enough talent, it is difficult. I don't see where you get off saying the option is dead. :wtf

What irritates me the most is people who say the WCO can't work in the college level, specially in colder weather climates

how strange that it hits the same nerve with me when you start raving about the option play being dead, thats about like saying that a sweep or a toss is a dead play, or even a swing pass, pretty much any play that tries to attach the defense on its corners. i just really dont understand your logic when you say that.

A couple of key words: disciple- willing to commit to an idea or ideal to the detriment of all else. A coach may be willing to commit to that like TO but I truly believe he could read the writing on the wall and retired, don't get me wrong I loved NU smashmouth football. Still do. I don't want to be a dodo bird though.

talent- more recruits feeling that to become a viable NFL product they have to emulate the same offense/ defense. More pro set ala Walsh, etc. How many excellent qb's would last long taking the NFL level of hits running the option?

The spread offense actually incorporates alot of what the original WCO use to before it got watered down by other versions. You have different variations of it depending on which school you are breaking down film on. A lot of the plays Florida St runs for example right now are similiar to what Urban is doing at Florida at the moment but with a different dimension to them.

What irritates me the most is people who say the WCO can't work in the college level, specially in colder weather climates, the 1997 Packers would beg to differ who won a Superbowl with it. Urban Meyers practically built his offense after reading one of the most infamous West coast offense playbooks called Football's West Coast offense that was published in 1997. It has plays, formations, terminology, and how to gameplan against opposing coaches who run similiar offenses. If anyone TRUELY wants to understand why Urban Meyers became a hot coach overnight at Bowling Green and Utah, then pick up the book and read it. He's admitted in an interview that he's basically running plays from that book.

Is that interview online somewhere...because I'd really like to read it. I'm not saying he didn't say it, but to somehow say that Urban Meyer and Callahan are running the same offense is just not true. The only way you can say that is if you never watched him coach. I'll admit I haven't watched a whole Florida game this year, but I saw plenty of Utah games last year, and it's not what BC is doing. And I never said the West Coast Offense wouldn't work in college...at least I don't think I did. I always maintainted that BC's version is too a tad difficult for the college player to grasp while not really fooling defenses enough to justify the complexity. And he can't gameplan....but I've said that already. :)

I will throw my thoughts in here.

Before we string up BC, should/ shouldn't we at least give him half the chance that we gave the GREAT BOB DEVANEY. If I remember correctly he came in and changed the way the HUSKER football mindset was and it did not happen overnight. Thank you whover had the paitence to keep him.

Lets go back to all the people that signed pettitions to fire T.O. who changed very little and had a good base to start. I am glad and I am sure you all are also that he did not go to scum in the 1980's. It took him how long just to beat the sooners let alone win a National Chapionship.

Frank took over after all of the new scholership limits had taken place and he did not revamp his recruiting style to get the players that T.O. could get. Granted T.O. could find a farm kid in the middle of no where and he would keep that kid in the system and most likely he would do 1 of 2 things and sometimes both.

1) the kid would earn a scholership and get his degree, or

2) the kid would play four -five years on the practice squad and never play, but he would be a MUCH better man for trying.

I will not say all of our loses over the last season and a half are any particular group of people fault.

BC should not be so bull headed and believe that his scripted plays will work all the time. He needs to better evauluate how to use his talent he has and teach what he wants them to learn.

The players we have on this years team should be remembered as the kids that went through HELL in 2004, DID NOT QUIT LIKE OTHERS DID AFTER THAT YEAR, worked through key injuries at thin positions, a new QB for the 3rd year, only had the same coaches at all of their positions for the second year in a row and still can fight all game long and make a valient effort when down by 3 scores or more and still walk off the field knowing they are getting better and they had a shot to win.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, IF YOU WANT MINUTE RICE HAVE AT IT SOME WHERE ELSE. I WOULD RATHER BUILD A FUTURE WITH SOLID RECRUITING, SOUND COACHING DECISIONS AND A DOG LIKE UNDYING LOVE FROM THE BEST FANS IN THE COUNTRY THAT STUCK IT OUT WITH THESE KIDS THROUGH THE TOUGH TIMES AND DO NOT FORGET THEM WHEN WE ARE BACK ON TOP.

I will state this as a fact, If I were looking for someone to hire and my two choices came down to a senior on this team vs a player from the championship years and that was the only difference between the two. I would pick this years kid because he has a proven ability to handle adversity, deal with changes and still give 100% until the final whistle.

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!

I will throw my thoughts in here.

Before we string up BC, should/ shouldn't we at least give him half the chance that we gave the GREAT BOB DEVANEY. If I remember correctly he came in and changed the way the HUSKER football mindset was and it did not happen overnight. Thank you whover had the paitence to keep him.

I would agree, however, Devaney took over a program that was pretty bad for about 30 years previous to his arrival, and turned them into contenders almost overnight. That is what GREAT coaches do :thumbs

billy c. took over a program that had been to a bowl game for like 40 straight years, had won 5 NCs, numerous conference championships, and had won 10 games the year before, and led them directly to their worst 2 year (consecutive) record in over 40 years. Good coaches dont do that.

Comparing Devaney to billy c is like comparing diamonds to dirt.

Did you even watch the game?? Switzer clearly stated the shot (after stating how glad he was that he never had to play NU in the 90's) that TOs offense would still work today, the problem is that no coaches are desciples of it. I have the tape on film. Get copy. You're flat out wrong.

That's just sad you can't realize Switzer was only being generous. There's a reason WHY there are NO coaches who are desciples of the option. If the option was such a wonderful offense then explain to me why Florida St or Miami or Texas or Oklahoma or USC or Notre Dame for that matter did not try to switch their offense to a option offense that won 3 national titles in 4 years in the 90's. Logic says you switch to an offense that is winning national titles and none of those teams did it. Let me repeat that so you can absorb it. IF the OPTION offense was such a wonderful offense, then WHY IN THE HELL did these teams never try to duplicate TO's offense in order to win national titles?

If that's not the case, then explain why Utah went to the spread (WCO, however you want to define it) ofense under Meyer. Same thing for Florida, Florida St, Miami, USC, CAL, UCLA, Washington, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. <_<

Hold on a second. Switzer was not "being generous", he was telling the truth. Everyone in that stadium knew that Nebraska could have used Osborne's playbook. As for why the other teams didn't run the option to win national titles is a very good question. Switzer said that there were just no disciples of the option anymore, for whatever reason. Who deemed the option ineffective? The offense-efficiency god? Just because Solich did not run it well his last few years doesn't mean it doesn't work. If you tried to run any offense while not having enough talent, it is difficult. I don't see where you get off saying the option is dead. :wtf

I was trying to look for the proper adjective for Nameless, and I went through the entire lineup, but the best one I could find is "dilusional." For all his insiting otherwise, the option worked pretty well (even under Solich) in 2001, it is far from dead in college football. Second, to say that Switzer was merely "being generous" is self-serving and disgusting. And he considers himself a "REAL" NU fan :wacko: He is also about the only person I have seen who said that billy c didnt make a throat slashing gesture against OU :dumdum Huh???? :wtf

To his question as to why the teams he mentioned not run an option offense, as for FSU, Miami, UF, UCLA, USC, Wash, Tech, Cal, and LSU, I cant remember them running an option based offense in the recent past (20 years??), why would the change??? They would have to go through a total unneccessary rebuilding process. OU, Bama, and ND havent run an option offense for a few years either, and their coaches are not desciples of if.

Not many of them run the WCO, either. Not Miami, or UF, or FSU, or OU, or Tech, or USC run the WCO. Just because it is "pro style" offense doesnt mean that it is a WCO.

On a side note, what I found to be pretty humorous was when TO made a back-handed slap at billy c. when he said that "They could use a few of my players out there!" :horns2

Thats when Switzer replied "They could use your playbook and hang half a hundred on 'em!" :worship

We don't have the W/R's to run the W.C.O. smoothly yet but any w/r looking at this team has to be licking his chops knowing he has a chance to get early playing time. Same with with o/l recruits. This team is not that far off. IMO I think this staff is going to get it done. I just hope they don't read or at least take these post with a grain of salt, because all the complaining almost cost us T.O. back in the 70's and Colorado would have had all the trophies hanging in their trophy case.

GBR!!!!!

We don't have the W/R's to run the W.C.O. smoothly yet but any w/r looking at this team has to be licking his chops knowing he has a chance to get early playing time. Same with with o/l recruits. This team is not that far off. IMO I think this staff is going to get it done. I just hope they don't read or at least take these post with a grain of salt, because all the complaining almost cost us T.O. back in the 70's and Colorado would have had all the trophies hanging in their trophy case.

GBR!!!!!

Im sure they hear some grumblings and feel some pressure, but I doubt that they see what is posted on the Internet. :thumbs