Good Documentaries

Starting a thread to see what good documentaries people have seen over the years and would recommend to others. Post some you have seen. They don't have to be sports related.

Here are some of mine I would recommend people to watch:

Go Tigers! - Follows a high school football team in 99' from the town of Massillon, Ohio. This town literally lives, eats, and breathes football.

Pulling John - John Brzenk is the greatest arm wrestler of all-time. He doesn't know if he should retire while on top, or continue to travel the world to see if anyone can beat him.

Hoop Dreams - Follows two inner-city kids who struggle to become college basketball players on the road to being a professional basketball player.

More Than A Game - LeBron James and his four talented teammates through grade school, and high school basketball, and LeBron's rise to fame.

Starting a thread to see what good documentaries people have seen over the years and would recommend to others. Post some you have seen. They don't have to be sports related.

Here are some of mine I would recommend people to watch:

Go Tigers! - Follows a high school football team in 99' from the town of Massillon, Ohio. This town literally lives, eats, and breathes football.

Pulling John - John Brzenk is the greatest arm wrestler of all-time. He doesn't know if he should retire while on top, or continue to travel the world to see if anyone can beat him.

Hoop Dreams - Follows two inner-city kids who struggle to become college basketball players on the road to being a professional.

More Than A Game - LeBron James and his four talented teammates through grade school, and high school basketball, and LeBron's rise to fame.

I love documentaries, here are a few good ones.

: The American Evangelical Movement

(BBC): Up-close documentary on Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church.

Vice Guide to North Korea: Kind of a funny examination of North Korea by a few idiots.

Vice Guide to Liberia: Same

Crossing the Line (BBC): Investigates the life of former Army deserter and American defector to the DPRK: John Dresnok

Inside: Undercover North Korea: National Geographic...camera crew under the guise of a charitable medical effort document life in the DPRK.

Possibly my favorite: WHY WE FIGHT - A survey of the evolution of the American Military-Industrial complex since WW2 and into the current age.

Taxi to the Dark Side (BBC) - US Interrogation tactics from Afghanistan to Iraq

The Corporation - The role of incorporated businesses in American life, their legal statuses, and their evolution.

Monster Camp - Real life RPG'ers...I thought it was funny

Restrepo - I imagine most of you know what this is.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ has a lot

I didn't care much for zeitgeist or michael Moore docs.

• Fire 1

I've heard Maynard interviewed a couple of times by a local (AZ) radio station 98KUPD...He's a difficult interview, but I'd love to see that Doccumentary.

Is it just about the vinery? (Although I could use some advice for my grape plants by the front door.

it was on netflix recently. Its about all around business, From planting grapes tot the blending on wines and selling it. It's funny at times too, Maynard has a wiked dry sens of humor.

Badgerfan mentioned Restrepo, and I wholeheartedly agree. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and it's how journalism should be. It's not sensationalized and (for the most part) is un-edited. It's pure. Don't be worried about gore or violence, persay. Most of the documentary is based on interviews. Any warfare scenes are, for the most part, just shots of American soldiers firing into heavily wooded areas. And from what I can remember, there isn't a lot of death in it other than one important one.

For any video gamers, or people interested in the lives of video gamers, I recommend Second Skin. It's a documentary about people addicted to video games, mostly focusing on guys addicted to World of Warcraft (WoW). It truly is amazing. For example, one guy was so addicted to WoW that he moved halfway across the country to live with close friends he met through a guild (an in-game club of people). He even brought his wife along. He works a 9-5 job, his wife will have his character signed in by the time he gets home, and he plays until 3 or 4 in the morning. This is his daily routine, for the most part. While it probably sounds pathetic to the majority of us, it's really fascinating.

• Fire 1

I'll reiterate "Jesus Camp"

And also add:

"Pelada"....great soccer documentary. Showing why it truly is the greatest game in the world.

"Possibilities"....documentary following Herbie Hancock's making of the CD by the same name. Probably the most talented musician in the world

"Tom Dowd and the Language of Music"...for those interested in, again, behind the scenes of the recording studios.

"Religulous" by Bill Maher

"Blindsight" about blind Tibetan children attempting to climb a mountain

"King of Kong"

I'm interested in that Maynard documentary now that you all mentioned