It's been a blast, but it's time for me to retire from Huskerboard

I wanted to post this before this board completely boycotts the media. :P

I've been posting here for some time now, and I can say without a doubt it's been insightful, informative, fun, engaging and even humbling. Sure there's dumb posts and dumb posters, but most of this board makes a lot of good info and insight flow around Husker nation.

As a few know, I'm studying to be a sportswriter at UNL and I'll be graduating into the real world of journalism in a years (god willing). As we all know, the objective of a journalist is to be objective and present the facts. And I won't lie, I was raised a Husker fan. But I've also been very competitive, and for that reason I've always been more critical and analytical. Since deciding to study sports writing, I like to think I've bolstered that, making more objective and thinking based on facts. That being the case, it could look slightly biased of me to be posting on husker fan message board, so I've got to hang it up. I will however always be lurking, so don't hate on me too much. Especially if one day I do have the privilege of covering Husker football.

I want to assure you guys and girls that if I do become a writer covering the Huskers, it will always be my objective to present the facts and tell the story for what it is. I have no desire to engage in rumor-mongering and sensationalism. Good stories speak for themselves. Unfortunately they won't always be positive, but again my objective is to tell the story rather than make the story.

That's my personal message to you guys, who have been awesome. Again, it's been great and I'll be watching. The next few paragraphs are my own message to you guys about the media. Pretty different topic than the first, feel free to let it go.

What I want to say in parting is I (as a media member who's covered the Huskers in multiple outlets) that understand why you get angered with writers. I'm not saying change your mind, but just remember that these writers in the end are just people like you and I. They have wives and kids and personal lives. Very few writers actually hold ill will toward the Huskers. Sure Bo can be frustrating to us because he doesn't really give us much to work with, but we don't scheme about getting him fired. Just my opinion (biases as a sports writer) but someone who makes 2 million bucks (that's 40% of the athletic department's yearly budget for football) could afford to be a bit more thoughtful. The fans deserve it I think. But I don't want him fired. I think his teams have shown the capacity to do great things, they just need to put it all together at one time and fix a few things between the ears. And it's a lot more fun to cover a team that's good than a team that sucks. Believe me, I covered the Chiefs this year.

Again, just hoping to personalize sports writers as people. Hopefully I'll have the chance to be the kind of writer that you guys - some of the best fans - like to read.

Thanks for the memories.

• Fire 2

Best of luck to you Moose. I wish you well in your chosen career. And I hope you have thick skin. Sportswriters need thick skin. Anything they write—anything—will make some sports fan somewhere angry. Angry because you bashed their team/coach/school/etc. Or angry because you were to easy on them. Again, Good Luck to you. And godspeed to you as a sportwriter, man!

just sayin dude but i agree with an above post that as long as you dont give away your real name there is no reason to quit the board because you are a sportswriter. youve been a damn good poster and we certainly hate to lose you but if its what you feel you need to do then by all means do it but it really isnt necessary in my opinion, i know that on the chiefs board i mod we have 3 sportswriters as members and they have each PMed me to ask that i dont reveal who they are and of course thats cool and im sure the mods here would gladly do the same for you...

just sayin dude but i agree with an above post that as long as you dont give away your real name there is no reason to quit the board because you are a sportswriter. youve been a damn good poster and we certainly hate to lose you but if its what you feel you need to do then by all means do it but it really isnt necessary in my opinion, i know that on the chiefs board i mod we have 3 sportswriters as members and they have each PMed me to ask that i dont reveal who they are and of course thats cool and im sure the mods here would gladly do the same for you...

GMoose already kind of gave away his name when he linked an article he wrote.

Best of luck on your future, my nephew graduated with a Journalism Degree from UNL and now works for the Nationals. I have several freinds, retire and still working at the OWH and they really are good people, although one is an Editor and I sometimes think she sleeps while she reads given some of the writing mistakes. Maybe we can make a memoreum thread and call it "GMoose's Thoughts". Good luck.

Aw! GMoose! I always loved reading your posts AND I loved your avatar. It always made me laugh. God's grace on graduating! I would love it if you could cover the Huskers! That would be amazing. I hope you will always be faithful to your ideals. If you write as a sportswriter as well as you've written in some of your posts, then you will go far. Godspeed young man! Know that you always have a home here at Huskerboard. :):cheers