NU Head Coaches - their first four years

knapplc

Junior, if you feel that is true, what is the justification of keeping a 3-8 coach. Not saying I want that by any means. I just want people to look at things as they are, not how they think they are or want them to be. There are problems here, can they be fixed is the question.

Kharma has a way of raising its ugly head. We should have never fired Solich. Because of it, we inherited BC. Bo inherited a lot less than TO did, yet we gave TO how many years to achieve great things? There was actually a time in the early 90's where I felt we'd never be able to compete with the top tier teams especially with TO on the sideline. CU isn't exactly what I'd call an elite team, but they even beat us three in a row. All I'm saying is that you just never know when the lightswitch goes on and great things are just around the corner. Plus, who exactly are we going to get if we fired Bo today? People always want change, but what they forget is that change isn't always for the better.

• Fire 1

Doing the numbers, Frank was heading down no question.

I really do not want to change head coaches, I just want people to put realistic expectations on him. He may be a very good coach down the road, but currently he is not the best out there nor anywhere near being that. But we can not replace him and get any better is my guess. I do not want to start over again. This project is going to take time, TO did. I sat at his firt game against an Unranked UCLA team that beat the Number 1 team in the country that day. Things take time, but realistic expectations make things a lot easier to deal with and keeps the negative Nancy's at bay.

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

The economy had far more to do with poor ticket sales than anything else.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

The "economy"?

Husker fans were never stopped by Tsunami's but now the economy is in the way.....Whatever.

Yes, 2007 was worse. DUH!

But TO was not in the house. Cally had no backing (and who cares, he sucked). Pederson was the devil. The big difference is we KNEW what was broken.

Now, it's a disaster from top to bottom. I question TO's ability to hire a coach. I question TO's exact definition of "things are going well". I question what exactly is TO's definition of a successful program (see BBall and Baseball aside from football).....I question Bo's basic abilities as a HC AND a DC. Yes I don't think Bo is the genius DC some think he is. You want to see great DC's - go check Michigan, South Carolina, LSU, Bama. Heck even Oregon and WI have better defenses than NU and I don't see any need for that fancy Peso junk that Bo has trade marked. After watching the bowl season and seeing what real football looks like I've gone out and bought the biggest face palm contraption I could get my hands on.

You can drink all the KA you want. I'm off the Bo bus.

And in case you still think this is "hyperbole", go back and re-read the first part of Shatel's article where he talks about Husker angst: http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/701079799

You do realize that Bo more then deserves the assumption of a "defensive genius" if anyone does, right? He has a very proven track record as a DC. All of those teams you listed have more talent then Nebraska on the defensive side of the ball, and I wouldn't be so quick to throw Michigan, South Carolina, and Oregon into the bag of great defenses/ or defensive coordinators....

That Peso "junk" that you speak of is the only thing that kept us from a losing season in 2009, and it was the primary defensive set for one of the best defenses I have ever seen (especially considering the tough circumstances the offense put them in that year).

It comes down to talent. You wanna know the difference between the 2009 team, and the 2011 team? Its replacing Suh, with Steinkuler; replacing Prince/Hagg/Gomes, with Cassidy/Green/Thorell.... It comes down to talent. It's funny how quickly some forget it, but if you give Bo adequate talent, it is flat out scary what he can do with a defense....

• Fire 1

He may be a very good coach down the road, but currently he is not the best out there nor anywhere near being that.

If I had to guess, I'd say the vast, vast majority of Husker fans feel this way about Bo. We recognize he has many shortcomings. He has a lot of room to grow. We hope he will. It's just that it sucks going through the learning curve, especially when there's no guarantee he'll get to the top of the game.

Agree with the rest of your post, too.

He shouldn't have been fired after a 10-3 season, but long term, Solich was not the answer.....

You know it's funny, I don't think Solich should have been fired at that time.

The irony, for me, is that in many ways Bo put together much of that 2003 staff as his staff in 2008, and to a degree, we are witnessing what may have happened had Solich stuck around.

Bo is going to earn his HC dollars next season. Does his D need to adjust? Does the O need a different QB? Can the DLine improve? Recruiting?

Lots of questions.

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

The economy had far more to do with poor ticket sales than anything else.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

The "economy"?

Husker fans were never stopped by Tsunami's but now the economy is in the way.....Whatever.

Yes, 2007 was worse. DUH!

But TO was not in the house. Cally had no backing (and who cares, he sucked). Pederson was the devil. The big difference is we KNEW what was broken.

Now, it's a disaster from top to bottom. I question TO's ability to hire a coach. I question TO's exact definition of "things are going well". I question what exactly is TO's definition of a successful program (see BBall and Baseball aside from football).....I question Bo's basic abilities as a HC AND a DC. Yes I don't think Bo is the genius DC some think he is. You want to see great DC's - go check Michigan, South Carolina, LSU, Bama. Heck even Oregon and WI have better defenses than NU and I don't see any need for that fancy Peso junk that Bo has trade marked. After watching the bowl season and seeing what real football looks like I've gone out and bought the biggest face palm contraption I could get my hands on.

You can drink all the KA you want. I'm off the Bo bus.

And in case you still think this is "hyperbole", go back and re-read the first part of Shatel's article where he talks about Husker angst: http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/701079799

You do realize that Bo more then deserves the assumption of a "defensive genius" if anyone does, right? He has a very proven track record as a DC. All of those teams you listed have more talent then Nebraska on the defensive side of the ball, and I wouldn't be so quick to throw Michigan, South Carolina, and Oregon into the bag of great defenses/ or defensive coordinators....

That Peso "junk" that you speak of is the only thing that kept us from a losing season in 2009, and it was the primary defensive set for one of the best defenses I have ever seen (especially considering the tough circumstances the offense put them in that year).

It comes down to talent. You wanna know the difference between the 2009 team, and the 2011 team? Its replacing Suh, with Steinkuler; replacing Prince/Hagg/Gomes, with Cassidy/Green/Thorell.... It comes down to talent. It's funny how quickly some forget it, but if you give Bo adequate talent, it is flat out scary what he can do with a defense....

And most DC's can look flat out scary with talent.

Hey, don't ask me - go ask SC's DC.... or MI's DC...... or VT's DC..... or Oregon's DC.... or Bama's or LSU's or even WI's.

Bo got woodshed-ed more than I care to remember. The number of ass kicking's since 2008 is more than I can stomach. Remember that 200yd. rushing day McFadden had on Bo's LSU D - even with guy's like Dorsey? You think Bo's "weak DL philosophy" is an accident? What about 55-19 in that USC/OU game? What about 65-35 in the OU game in 2008? I don't see MI's defense looking so clueless in Greg Mattison's first season there.

And most DC's can look flat out scary with talent.

Hey, don't ask me - go ask SC's DC.... or MI's DC...... or VT's DC..... or Oregon's DC.... or Bama's or LSU's or even WI's.

Bo got woodshed-ed more than I care to remember. The number of ass kicking's since 2008 is more than I can stomach. Remember that 200yd. rushing day McFadden had on Bo's LSU D - even with guy's like Dorsey? You think Bo's "weak DL philosophy" is an accident? What about 55-19 in that USC/OU game? What about 65-35 in the OU game in 2008? I don't see MI's defense looking so clueless in Greg Mattison's first season there.

It's got to be really hard being you. You poor thing, having to suffer through all that.

He shouldn't have been fired after a 10-3 season, but long term, Solich was not the answer.....

The irony, for me, is that in many ways Bo put together much of that 2003 staff as his staff in 2008, and to a degree, we are witnessing what may have happened had Solich stuck around.

Bo is going to earn his HC dollars next season. Does his D need to adjust? Does the O need a different QB? Can the DLine improve? Recruiting?

Lots of questions.

I disagree to some extent. I think Solich would've adapted NU's offense in similar fashion to how he's progressed at Ohio. Secondly, I think Solich would've been able to find some better answers at QB.

The records may have been the same with Solich at the helm, but I don't believe NU would've been losing games the same way. I think Solich's teams would've been far more disciplined on the field.

Lots of questions.

I disagree to some extent. I think Solich would've adapted NU's offense in similar fashion to how he's progressed at Ohio. Secondly, I think Solich would've been able to find some better answers at QB.

The records may have been the same with Solich at the helm, but I don't believe NU would've been losing games the same way. I think Solich's teams would've been far more disciplined on the field.

I don't understand why any discussion about Bo or Cally always comes back to Solich and his awesomeness. I have news for you: Solich sucked. Did he suck as bad as Cally? No. Was he better than Bo? Hell yes - at least based on the paltry stats we have. For one, he could recruit A LOT better. Bo's recruiting is borderline horrific. In either case, both weren't very good HC's. People tend to forget but Solich's last season was bad: 3 woodshed outings to mask that mediocre 9-3 record.

Regardless, I just wish people would stop constantly looking backwards esp. to Solich! Good grief.

Since everyone likes to comare apples and oranges.

Frank Beamer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bo Pelini

Chris Peterson

Nick Saban

Those are the only D1a coaches who've won 9 games or more each of the last 4 seasons.

Who needs perspective and logic when we have passion! If we hire a new coach, he'll win us a NC in the first season. Duh.

Would like to see what happens when we have consistency in play calling on the O side of the ball.