NU Head Coaches - their first four years

knapplc

How is it that Solich inherited the sportscar but TO didn't? I just don't get this logic. I've said it time and time again: if TO would have been hired in today's day and age college football instead of the 70's, he would have been fired by now.

Heh, very good point. TO took over a program that won NCs twice in the last three years.

Add to that Solich had to "totally" rebuild the offense his 1st year (S. Frost, A. Green, "5" pancakers.....all gone. G. Wistrom & J. Peter too). 100% agree the haters would get rid of TO in an eyelash. No NC's? No conference championships? FIRE HIM!

It's the Nebraska way.

Pedey lives on with the haters. They're two peas in a pod.

I think people remember the bad, more than the good, and I think BAD losses are a solid indicator of NU fans' current quandary with Bo.

So, using that theory:

Number of 20+ losses in first four years (I did this quickly):

BD -- 2

TO -- 2

FS -- 2

BC -- 8

BP -- 5

I don't think anything is more unpalatable than being uncomepetitive on the field. A loss is fine, if the team is competitive, but big losses are just ugly.

The 2 big losses to WI and MI this year, I think, are the basis for a great deal of the angst in NU fans' minds.

Uuummm.... make that 3 big losses. Even though "just by 17" the loss to SC was about as bad as it gets. The way NU looked in the 2nd half made the 2009 B12C with Zac Lee handing off to Burkhead (only to slam his head into a brick wall play after play for 0 yards)..... look like the NE Patriots and Tom Brady.

The reason for the ANGST in Husker nation is 2 things:

1) No progress. I don't care how you want to slice and dice it but Bo's teams have gotten worse as the season has progressed ever since that 2009 B12C ended. Any coincidence that also happened to be the time that most of BC's players graduated? You can also file this under "lack of player development"

2) BAD recruiting. And I mean B A D! Just ask Cory Raymond.

You can say 'little progress' if you want although I would say some progress, but it is statistically incorrect for you to say that there was no progress. Here are the 2010 stats compared with the 2011 stats. I've bolded the areas where we have shown progress this year. The first number is 2010, second number is 2011:

SCORING....................... 432 379

Points Per Game............. 30.9 29.2

FIRST DOWNS................... 254 265

Rushing..................... 149 143

Passing..................... 95 100

Penalty..................... 10 22

RUSHING YARDAGE.............. 3466 2824

Yards gained rushing........ 3854 2459

Yards lost rushing.......... 388 306

Rushing Attempts............ 634 611

Average Per Rush............ 5.5 4.6

Average Per Game............ 247.6 217.2

TDs Rushing................. 32 31

PASSING YARDAGE............... 2108 2115

Comp-Att-Int................ 163-282-8 164-293-8

Average Per Pass............ 7.5 7.2

Average Per Catch........... 12.9 12.9

Average Per Game............ 150.6 162.7

TDs Passing................. 16 13

TOTAL OFFENSE................. 5574 4939

Total Plays................. 916 904

Average Per Play............ 6.1 5.5

Average Per Game............ 398.1 379.9

KICK RETURNS: #-Yards......... 39-895 45-1146

PUNT RETURNS: #-Yards.........23-297 18-139

INT RETURNS: #-Yards.......... 19-313 10-85

KICK RETURN AVERAGE........... 22.9 25.5

PUNT RETURN AVERAGE...........12.9 7.7

INT RETURN AVERAGE............ 16.5 8.5

FUMBLES-LOST.................. 45-16 32-11

PENALTIES-Yards............... 109-993 86-688

Average Per Game............ 70.9 52.9

PUNTS-Yards................... 69-2982 59-2626

Average Per Punt............ 43.2 44.5

Net punt average............ 37.7 38.3

TIME OF POSSESSION/Game...31:16 28:30

3RD-DOWN Conversions........ 79/192 82/194

3rd-Down Pct................ 41% 42%

4TH-DOWN Conversions.........9/14 9/16

4th-Down Pct................ 64% 56%

SACKS BY-Yards................ 31-242 21-136

MISC YARDS.................... 0 7

TOUCHDOWNS SCORED.............54 46

FIELD GOALS-ATTEMPTS..........18-19 19-23

ON-SIDE KICKS................. 0-1 0-1

RED-ZONE SCORES............... (35-41) 85% (45-52) 87%

RED-ZONE TOUCHDOWNS......(27-41) 66% (33-52) 63%

PAT-ATTEMPTS.................. (54-54) 100% (44-45) 98%

For everything you bolded there were other areas where we regressed. Not sure what your argument is here. The only stat that matters is the scoreboard.

Since Tom Osborne is the standard everyone like to compare to, let's looks how Tom did in depth in the first four years.

TO's first year-Beat #10 UCLA, Beat #14 N.C State, Lost #12 Missouri, Beat #18 Kansas, Tied unranked Okie St., Beat #17 Colorado, Lost to #3 Oklahoma and beat #8 Texas in Cotton Bowl.

TO's second year-Lost to unranked Wisconsin, Lost to unranked Missouri, Beat #13 Kansas, lost to #1 Oklahoma and nipped #18 Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

TO's third year-Only ranked team we beat #12 Missouri, lost to #7 Oklahoma, lost to #7 AZ St. in Fiesta Bowl

TO's fourth year-Tied unranked LSU, Lost to #17 Missouri, Beat #13 OK St, lost to Unranked IA St, and lost to #8 Oklahoma, Did beat #9 Texas Tech in Astro Bluebonnet Bowl.

1973 9-2-1

1974 9-3-0

1975 10-2

1976 9-3-1

How in the world did TO survive the first 4 years????

Source is NU Media Guide.

Really? 10-2 sounds pretty damn good to me right now. 9 wins is just fine with me too. I just expect to avoid getting embarrassed by teams that are not elite. It's not the wins and losses but the way we play that is so frustrating.

How is it that Solich inherited the sportscar but TO didn't? I just don't get this logic. I've said it time and time again: if TO would have been hired in today's day and age college football instead of the 70's, he would have been fired by now.

Heh, very good point. TO took over a program that won NCs twice in the last three years.

Add to that Solich had to "totally" rebuild the offense his 1st year (S. Frost, A. Green, "5" pancakers.....all gone. G. Wistrom & J. Peter too). 100% agree the haters would get rid of TO in an eyelash. No NC's? No conference championships? FIRE HIM!

It's the Nebraska way.

How? Have we fired Pelini? No. He'll be here at least 2 more years. Your only data point is Solich and you refuse to even entertain the idea that he was fired for reasons other than his football record.

I still can't belive you guys fired Solich

Outside looking in.....I couldn't agree more. Inside looking in the mirror....I still probably agree - but there was probably a disaster year or two looming, which could have probably been ridden out if a couple good recruiting classes came in. People tend to say the 'cupboard was empty' when Solich was canned and BC was brought in.....it really wasn't THAT bad....but there were certainly areas that needed to be addressed, in terms of players. The succession choice after Solich was the real disaster. Imagine a slightly less qualified and younger Norv Turner being brought in at WI......

I think you could liken Solich to Lloyd Carr.....he would have pulled out a MNC, most likely, at some point....but not quite the predecessor and would've 'retired' eventually, earlier than he really wanted to.

Bo will probably turn out to be an upgrade vs Solich. I really do think so...if he's around for a while. Just need all the right pieces at the right time to find what it'll take for the long haul. Often times, those things are stumbled upon.

I think Bo is starting to build his career like the Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder types. It wouldn't surprise me if he had 6 or 7 head coaches out there in 15 years that got their 'start' under him. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully he's successful enough for people to write about those head coaches and how they 'studied' under Bo Pelini.

but you remember those areas were addressed- like the hiring of Bo. Solich actually did the tough thing and that was to let a few of his long time buddies go. Bo just seems to keep stockpiling them.

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

The economy had far more to do with poor ticket sales than anything else.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

Knapp, shhhh, it's this guy, he's always right

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

Sorry man, but you sound a little fair weather to me. I don't think our fan base would hurt too much if you just stopped watching.

Sorry man, but you sound a little fair weather to me. I don't think our fan base would hurt too much if you just stopped watching and died.

Ouch dude

Sorry man, but you sound a little fair weather to me. I don't think our fan base would hurt too much if you just stopped watching.

thanks

Sorry if you thought that was to harsh. Honestly. No one like's to lose. But a true fan sticks no matter what. Bo will get us there. You just have to have faith in the process and the team.

It's the Nebraska way.

How? Have we fired Pelini? No. He'll be here at least 2 more years. Your only data point is Solich and you refuse to even entertain the idea that he was fired for reasons other than his football record.

What??? So I'm not willing to entertain an idea that I don't even know what it is? :wtf

So pray tell, what did he get fired for? I suppose just another typical internet rumor (without one tiny shred of proof)? Well?

thanks

Sorry if you thought that was to harsh. Honestly. No one like's to lose. But a true fan sticks no matter what. Bo will get us there. You just have to have faith in the process and the team.

Not harsh, just uninformed on your part.

I'm glad you're appointed arbiter of what a "true fan" is.