Eric Crouch hanging up the cleats

knapplc

Eric Crouch calling it quits

OMAHA -- Eric Crouch says he's finished with football.

The 33-year-old Crouch has made several attempts to stick in the pro ranks since winning the 2001 Heisman Trophy at Nebraska.

Crouch tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee while playing quarterback for the United Football League's Omaha Nighthawks in September. He said Monday that his goal is to be able to do "country-club workouts" and play racquetball and pickup basketball again.

He said he doesn't see himself playing football again because he doubts a pro team would give him another opportunity.

So long, Eric. Thanks for the memories.

The guy is a legend of Husker football, and it I will never understand why he still catches hell over mistakes he made as a kid.... He more then compensated this university, and this state.... Truly one of the best ever.... Good luck Eric!

I have a love and hate relationship with him. I'll be honest. He's probably one of my least favorite Husker greats. I think he could have have been very good in the NFL if he had switched roles. And thats too bad fans never got a chance to see that. I understand 100% not being happy in a job and wanting to try what you love.

Eric Crouch was quite simply one of the greatest to ever put on the Scarlet and Cream for the University of Nebraska. Who cares if he didn't win the National Championship. Mike Rozier another Husker Heisman didn't win a National Championship either. Who cares what Eric didn't do in the NFL. Sometimes it works for some players, and for other players it doesn't.

Eric should be judged by what he did on the college football field, and when it is all totaled up he was one of the greatest dual threat quarterbacks in history.

Not only was he a great player, but he is also a very nice guy and extremely genuine. I have met him on a couple of occasions and he is a very respectable person. As a player and to this day, Eric Crouch continues to represent the University of Nebraska with class. Thanks for the memories Eric!

Man.....he was fast. 75% of those TDs were either option or option pass and run to PERFECTION.

Tough too. My fav Crouch highlight is the hit he put on that poor Hawkeye at 0:40 in the video. That left a mark. Ha ha!

• Fire 1

The guy is a legend of Husker football, and it I will never understand why he still catches hell over mistakes he made as a kid.... He more then compensated this university, and this state.... Truly one of the best ever.... Good luck Eric!

I have a love and hate relationship with him. I'll be honest. He's probably one of my least favorite Husker greats. I think he could have have been very good in the NFL if he had switched roles. And thats too bad fans never got a chance to see that. I understand 100% not being happy in a job and wanting to try what you love.

Have you ever met the guy? He's a very nice guy. I agree he could have been a good return guy or a receiver. His heart was only with playing QB. It's his loss and you cannot take away what he did at NU because of it.

I've met Crouch twice in person and both times he was down to earth to talk to and all around a great guy. He gave his time to talk to husker fans and didn't even ask for any money when he was signing numerous autographs. One ex-Husker I'm proud to say that represents Nebraska in a good positive way.

Have you ever met the guy? He's a very nice guy. I agree he could have been a good return guy or a receiver. His heart was only with playing QB. It's his loss and you cannot take away what he did at NU because of it.

About a half dozen times. Thats my issue with him. He comes across very nice, but it was usually secondary to what's best for Crouch. I've found business dealings with him to be similar. But rather than me get into it, lets just recognize he brought the spotlight to Nebraska and was a gifted football player and leave it at that.

I've met Crouch twice in person and both times he was down to earth to talk to and all around a great guy. He gave his time to talk to husker fans and didn't even ask for any money when he was signing numerous autographs. One ex-Husker I'm proud to say that represents Nebraska in a good positive way.

You leave Johnny out of this. Dude needs to pay the bills.