Ponder this...

donesman

You guys make great points. However, consistancy is the apple of my eye. Turner showed he can perform great every game he PLAYS. Why not give him the reigns of this offense. You know Beck is thinking about it. I'm not talking about If anyone was dogging it in the past. I'm talking about where this is heading...

• Fire 1

You guys make great points. However, consistancy is the apple of my eye. Turner showed he can perform great every game he PLAYS. Why not give him the reigns of this offense. You know Beck is thinking about it. I'm not talking about If anyone was dogging it in the past. I'm talking about where this is heading...

That's not necessarily true. He had two big derps drops against Minnesota, I think. Regardless, I see your point. He is very athletic and has a ton of potential, and he needs to get on the field. Whether or not he eventually goes back to QB, I don't know. It's important that he gets on the field and makes plays more-so than he did this year, though.

Well...here's a good wrench thrown into your assumption....I've got some "inside" sources stating that Jamal might redshirt next year. He'll do some solid bulking up and then decide whether or not he wants to play QB or play WR. I honestly think he is better suited as a WR....

I've never heard of a sophomore redshirting that wasn't because of injury or hardship. Plus if we have another season like last year, people will question why Jamal was redshirted in the first place.

Mike Grant comes to mind. But I think he did it his Jr or Sr year to give us depth at QB.

Ponder this....like adding Turner to QB to your subject line. That being said, the only way this happens is if TMart goes down and we don't sign any QB's in this class. Admitting your focus wasn't there is a big step toward maturity and I believe you will see a different player in Turner next season, remember, guys that win, like to win. Signing Westercamp will be huge, but he won't be that slot guy and Turner has the speed, talent and strength to get to the middle and catch the ball, more like a Niles Paul that can catch a ball kind of guy.

Ponder this....like adding Turner to QB to your subject line. That being said, the only way this happens is if TMart goes down and we don't sign any QB's in this class. Admitting your focus wasn't there is a big step toward maturity and I believe you will see a different player in Turner next season, remember, guys that win, like to win. Signing Westercamp will be huge, but he won't be that slot guy and Turner has the speed, talent and strength to get to the middle and catch the ball, more like a Niles Paul that can catch a ball kind of guy.

And that's not even taking Brion Carnes into account. Carnes is no slouch. He's just young. Give him time in the weight room and some more time at practice and I don't know that Turner will be able to switch back to QB and take over both Martinez AND Carnes.

Yeah...What good is Turner in the middle of the field if we don't have a quarterback to get him the ball there? It's no news that Taylor can't throw the ball worth a damn. We've been talking about that for 2 years now. From what I've seen that will never change plus factor in he's not the same runner as before. He's got no stock behind the line. His value has dropped dramatically!

Jamal Turner's lack of game time could be related to the following factors.

1. Jamal hasn't taken to the playbook well or can't be trusted to consistently do what every play calls for.

2. Jamal's limited grasp of the playbook means that he is only in on certain packages or groups of plays.

3. All plays in a football game DO NOT stand independently, but are called based on several factors

a) Down and Distance

b) Defensive tendencies

When you think through this, it is easy to see why Jamal would have plays or a portion of the playbook down and, given the changing circumstances of game action, coaches are simply never in position to call many of the plays involving Jamal.

Well...here's a good wrench thrown into your assumption....I've got some "inside" sources stating that Jamal might redshirt next year. He'll do some solid bulking up and then decide whether or not he wants to play QB or play WR. I honestly think he is better suited as a WR....

I've never heard of a sophomore redshirting that wasn't because of injury or hardship. Plus if we have another season like last year, people will question why Jamal was redshirted in the first place.

Mike Grant comes to mind. But I think he did it his Jr or Sr year to give us depth at QB.

Mike Grant :facepalm:

Yeah...What good is Turner in the middle of the field if we don't have a quarterback to get him the ball there? It's no news that Taylor can't throw the ball worth a damn. We've been talking about that for 2 years now. From what I've seen that will never change plus factor in he's not the same runner as before. He's got no stock behind the line. His value has dropped dramatically!

Aside from the fact that his passer rating went up, not down, from the middle of the season to the end, and he's had a very-injured O line in front of him both years, WRs who can't catch the ball, and defenses routinely key on stopping him, you're right. He's worthless.

His #72in the nation passer rating is garbage. His #58 in the nation All-Purpose yards mark is garbage. His #66 in the nation Points Responsible For ranking is garbage. All while being a sophomore. And breaking in a new offensive system. And working with one of the youngest offenses we've had at Nebraska in five years.

Yep. Let's just sh#t-can Martinez and bring in the next guy. Doesn't matter how good he is, he's got to be better than Martinez. Right?

I don't think Turner will ever play QB here. Bobby Newcombe is about the only one I can think of where we played at another position in an actual game that went on to play QB, and his time at QB was very limited. Franky London was recruited to play QB, but he eventually played another position. Tony Veland played QB but then switched over to defense. Going back through history, I just don't think Turner will ever play or ever play much at QB. Here's something else to ponder. If Turner can't grasp the playbook to play receiver, how in the heck is he ever going to grasp the playbook to play QB?

Since when is it the players choice to decide where he wants to play?

Well...I was told Jamal, Heard, Abdullah, and Green were given the options to sort out which of them redshirts and none of them chose to redshirt before the season started.

If Martinez is the best qb we have then he should be the qb. If the qb position was never open why oh dear god are we settling on Martinez unless our other qb's are really bad which i doubt. Martinez is ok but nothing special. Bo needs to play our players regardless of class and how much they know of the playbook. We aren't gonna beat the better teams by not playing our best athletes we have.

My question to this is, what good is a qb that throws a post ball when he's supposed to throw an out. A d-lineman who plays a gap when he's supposed to stunt outside. A LB who blitzes when he's supposed to cover the flat. A safety thats supposed to play deep middle instead of man on the TE. A rb that's supposed to max protect instead of running the wheel pattern. a...... well that's about enough of that. My point is that sometimes the most athletically gifted player doesnt get the job done. If guys like Marlowe, Cassidy and Thorell are so much more sharp in practice then they should be the ones on the field. I know there's always that one or two guys that "have to be on the field no matter what" but if those guys are doggin practice and not studying well enough, you just cant make an exception for them becuase then you throw out of balace things like team chemistry and trust. I know this has been discussed over and over and there are two sides to the argument, but when a player like Turner flat out admits publicly that he was struggling and got beat out, this case should just be closed. My opinion, based on facts, open to argument.

While that is all true, I think there is a flip side. If your system is so complicated that by far superior athletes are kept off the field for lesser athletes, then there is a problem. The star athlete doing the wrong thing will lose the game, but the poor athlete not being able to get the job done or make a play, won't really win you the game either. It's kind of a catch-22 imo. If we occasionally saw the lesser athlete playing over the great athlete, I'd venture to say that it was just that particular situation. We see the lesser athlete beating out the superior athlete quite often. Whatever is causing that, and with the frequency we see it happening it has to be system/coaching related, needs to be fixed before we are going to move to the next level.

Another thing, referring specifically to the Turner/Marlowe situation, is why do we try to use Marlowe like we would Turner? There is that option play that we ran with JT early in the season where he would motion towards TMart then reverse direction to be the pitch man to TMart. Seemed like a good play with JT, but at the end of the season we were running it with Marlowe. Seriously? Marlowe as a pitch man? We also would run Marlowe on end around plays and reverses. He is just too slow for that, we can't just pull out what is probably our most electric athlete and put in in what is one of our slower athletes and utilize them the same way.

After each loss, we always hear how "we didn't execute." In many of those situations, our players have not really been put into situations to execute. The player needs to have the knowledge, skills, and heart to execute the play 100%. Our coaches need to have the knowledge and skills to put our players in situation where there skills to execute can be maximized. I think we are seriously lacking in that department, unfortunately.

Since when is it the players choice to decide where he wants to play?

Well...I was told Jamal, Heard, Abdullah, and Green were given the options to sort out which of them redshirts and none of them chose to redshirt before the season started.

JT, Heard and Abdullah were never asked to redshirt.

Aside from the fact that his passer rating went up, not down, from the middle of the season to the end, and he's had a very-injured O line in front of him both years, WRs who can't catch the ball, and defenses routinely key on stopping him, you're right. He's worthless.

His #72in the nation passer rating is garbage. His #58 in the nation All-Purpose yards mark is garbage. His #66 in the nation Points Responsible For ranking is garbage. All while being a sophomore. And breaking in a new offensive system. And working with one of the youngest offenses we've had at Nebraska in five years.

Yep. Let's just sh#t-can Martinez and bring in the next guy. Doesn't matter how good he is, he's got to be better than Martinez. Right?

Absolutely. Obviously won't be better right off the bat. That's not what I'm asking for though. I know you're a huge supporter of the guy cause I see your posts backing him up. If we are going all in with Martinez, which is what we're currently doing, we are not going to be in good shape...Those numbers are middle of the pack and nothing to get excited about. You're right the O-line was beat up, but even when he's given time he doesn't utilize the pocket.

You don't take a playmaker off the field halfway through the season to put him at another position. That would be called blasphemy.

So Courtney Osborne wasted a year to be converted to LB next year? No. Bo has a tendency to play "smarter" less athletic players who have better attitudes which I don't always agree with.