Final AP Poll out

knapplc

Ain't this a kick in the head. We're ranked. :dunno

AP = 24

BCS = 20

Coaches = 24

Gotta say I'm shocked. I figured for sure that we would be unranked.

Sagarin had us at #25, with the 26th-ranked SOS, our most difficult schedule since 2007.

I don't think the SOS formulas give enough credit for road games. And there's no way to account for us facing an entire year of new conference opponents. Our SOS may have been ranked 26th, but I'll bet it was more like a top-10 toughest SOS if you factor in the intangibles. Just sayin...

I don't think the SOS formulas give enough credit for road games. And there's no way to account for us facing an entire year of new conference opponents. Our SOS may have been ranked 26th, but I'll bet it was more like a top-10 toughest SOS if you factor in the intangibles. Just sayin...

Agreed. Playing all new conference opponents every week is demonstrably more difficult.

meh i was more interested to see if LSU or Okie State got any first place votes. If I had an AP vote it would have went to Okie state bc I think the whole matchup was dumb

I wonder how Okie Lite would have done against these two? High octane offense against stout defense. I think either Bama or LSU would have their way with the Cowboys.

I think either Bama or LSU would have their way with the Cowboys.

I don't think so. I don't think they would have shut Blackmon down all game, and if they devoted too much attention to him, Cooper and/or Moore would have been up and down the field. I don't think either 'Bama or LSU has a secondary capable of shutting down OK Lite.

The problem would be, could OSU's defense slow down either offense enough to win a shootout? They definitely showed up to play against Oklahoma, who ended the season in the top ten in Passing, Scoring and Total Offense. OSU's defense would be the biggest question mark, but I think they could have held their own.

OSU got four first-place votes in the AP, by the way.

meh i was more interested to see if LSU or Okie State got any first place votes. If I had an AP vote it would have went to Okie state bc I think the whole matchup was dumb

I wonder how Okie Lite would have done against these two? High octane offense against stout defense. I think either Bama or LSU would have their way with the Cowboys.

Bama/LSU vs. Passing Spread offense = slaughter. Both would have beat OSU up in the trenches and Weeden would've been on his back a lot. Both teams LBs and DB would be the best Ok State has seen in years. Imagine them trying to stop Richardson...

Sam McKewon explained his reasoning for ranking Nebraska:

21. Nebraska: Yes, NU stays in my top 25. Wins over six bowl teams is pretty good, and the three ugly losses all came to 11-win teams.

That's a decent explanation. Now we just have to figure out how to shore up this defense and stop this offense from disappearing. Maybe then those losses won't be so ugly, and we'll stop having our Northwestern/Texas/Iowa State losses.

I question the automatic LSU ranking of 2nd. Yes, they had a terrific YEAR, but IF rankings are meant to reflect the level of competitiveness at the end of the season, then getting SHUT OUT and not even crossing midfield until 7 1/2 minutes are left is not a rousing endorsement. I believe Okie Lite has a semi-legitimate beef...........

Bama/LSU vs. Passing Spread offense = slaughter. Both would have beat OSU up in the trenches and Weeden would've been on his back a lot. Both teams LBs and DB would be the best Ok State has seen in years. Imagine them trying to stop Richardson...

It's hard to tell. Bama/LSU defenses/offenses are designed to compete against other SEC teams. Just like our defense found out this year - style of opponent dictactes a lot of things. OSU would have been something new for both of these teams. I don't think either would have won by 21 points. I would have expected a 43-40ish type of finish. Certainly would have kept me awake.