NU's 2012 schedule with final Sagarin rankings

knapplc

Are there any rumblings about who our 4th non-conference game will be against?

Here's our 2012 schedule, with their ranking and SOS (in parentheses) as determined by Jeff Sagarin, BCS numbers guru.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Arkansas State - 67 (124)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

We have one spot to fill on the schedule, September 22nd, a TBA date right now. Likely it'll be some schlub team.

I think it's Washington. Part of that B1G-Pac12 alliance or whatever.

That doesn't start until 2017

One quick note - our opener, Southern Miss, finished 2011 ranked higher than us. They were 24th in Sagarin's rankings, and 20th by the AP.

Oddly enough, we were ranked #20 to their #21 in the final BCS standings.

They also lose 12 senior starters. IIRC

Also, new coaching staff.

Edited by GSG5545

Here's how I would rank the games by their toughness....

1a. Michigan

1b. Ohio State

3. Michigan State

4. Wisconsin

5. Iowa

6. Penn State

7. Northwestern

8. Iowa

9. UCLA

10. Arkansas State

11. Southern Mississippi

So.... Iowa averaged out is about a 6.5 on the Badger scale?

Iowa never averages anything...except suck

Here's our 2012 schedule, with their ranking and SOS (in parentheses) as determined by Jeff Sagarin, BCS numbers guru.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

We have one spot to fill on the schedule, September 22nd, a TBA date right now. Likely it'll be some schlub team.

Nah let's fill it with a quality opponent(if any left). I don't like padding non conference schedules then get demolished in conference play against better teams like 2011. Big marquee non conference teams will also help with recruiting and bring together the team earlier in the year.

I agree. It would be fun to play South Carolina again or another SEC team or someone like Oregon, Baylor or Kansas State.

Here's how I would rank the games by their toughness....

1a. Michigan

1b. Ohio State

3. Michigan State

4. Wisconsin

5. Iowa

6. Penn State

7. Northwestern

8. Iowa

9. UCLA

10. Arkansas State

11. Southern Mississippi

I would probably have Sparty lower than 3 with all the players they lose, but since it's on the road.....ehhhhh....nahhh, I'm not real worried about Michigan STATE. The Wolverines on the other hand...... *shiver.

Are there any rumblings about who our 4th non-conference game will be against?

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

I think it's Washington. Part of that B1G-Pac12 alliance or whatever.

Even though the agreement doesn't kick in until 2017, I feel the need to point out that UCLA is a Pac-12 team.

Ark State is by no means the toughest team on our non-con. UCLA should be tough, especially out in Los Angeles, and Southern Miss should be better than Ark State, despite the fact that they lose a lot of talent on defense.

Gus Malzahn may be a good coach, but he's still going to have to play us with the players Ark State had before. He's not a miracle worker.

The players Arkansas State had before finished 10-3 this year. So Im not really sure what you mean by that, I know their competition is iffy, but 10 wins is 10 wins.

Ark State is by no means the toughest team on our non-con. UCLA should be tough, especially out in Los Angeles, and Southern Miss should be better than Ark State, despite the fact that they lose a lot of talent on defense.

Gus Malzahn may be a good coach, but he's still going to have to play us with the players Ark State had before. He's not a miracle worker.

The players Arkansas State had before finished 10-3 this year. So Im not really sure what you mean by that, I know their competition is iffy, but 10 wins is 10 wins.

They played the 124th-rated strength of schedule. They went 3-3 against teams with winning records. Combined, their opponents went 79-85. Ten wins against that schedule isn't impressive.

I agree that ten wins is ten wins, but not all ten-win seasons are created equal.

They played the 124th-rated strength of schedule. They went 3-3 against teams with winning records. Combined, their opponents went 79-85. Ten wins against that schedule isn't impressive.

I agree that ten wins is ten wins, but not all ten-win seasons are created equal.

Their 10 wins is miraculous. Our 10 wins puts coaches on the hot seat. :ahhhhhhhh