Huskers 95 defense vs. Bama's 2011 Defense

mwj98

Lost Lettermen says 2011 Alabama's defense was #4 all-time, and they don't have 1995 Nebraska in their top ten.

As noted in the comments to this article, "The 1938 and 1939 Tennessee Volunteers went 17 straight shutout games and 71 consecutive shutout quarters, NCAA records to this day. The 1938 team allowed only 14 points." They do not make this list. Neither does the 1971 Nebraska defense, or the Texas A&M teams from the first part of last century, "Texas A&M 1917 and 1919 football teams BOTH, undefeated and BOTH unscored on. 1919 Team gave up less than 100 yds in total offense for each opponent.

Tell me where that should rank on College Football All-Time."

Spurrier’s Fun n Gun offense racked up a lot of points on everybody except NU. Averaged 44 points against the SEC in 1995, and more in their non-conf games. Blackshirts held them to 20 below their avg. And scored a safety. And a pick six. I give the nod to the Huskers.

I'm also with the 95 Huskers...

Personnel, they might have an edge, but we had the superior defensive coach...

Nick Saban is one of the best....

How would you compare the 11 Bama D to the 09 NU D?
There is no comparison. The only relatively reasonable thing you could say is that Suh could've played on the 11 Bama D.

There is definately a comparison, watch some games from 2009. Despite the lack of effort of our offense we gave up 12 pts per game in the Big 12. The big 12 had much better offenses then the SEC, not to mention they let Texas hang 21 on them that year with a backup QB (we gave up 13 McCoy) .... Bama has a GREAT defense, but to act like we had one guy who could play on that team is ridiculous....

If you want to know what it takes to have a superior defense, take a look at Bama. Their d-line firing off the ball, not standing high, LB's tackling, not missing tackles. No penalties. I saw both defenses play throughout both seasons. Gotta admit tide was rollin.

Gotta give the nod to bama in this head to head.

We are light years behind the SEC.

I agree, but expect to be assaulted by blatant homerism.

Of course. It's a Husker site, and we're talking Husker football.

In my very humble opinion... our defense was not quite as good as Bama's, but the real strength of our 95 team was the steamroller offense.

Huskers 95 defense vs. Bama's 2011 Defense

Just wanted to add that '95 NU faced five Top 50 defenses:

#1 = K-State (49-25)

#15 = Oklahoma (37-0)

#20 = Florida (62-24)

#33 = Colorado (44-21)

#44 = Washington State (35-21)

Avg. pts. scored = 45

You made a very good point for our 1995 offense!

blatant homerism.

Of course. It's a Husker site, and we're talking Husker football.

In my very humble opinion... our defense was not quite as good as Bama's, but the real strength of our 95 team was the steamroller offense.

I see no nobility in objectivity in this discussion.

HUSKERS FOREVER!! DAMN THE TORPEDOES!

:thumbs:bigredn::throwdabones1::bigredn::bonesflag::bigredn::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

• Fire 1

How would you compare the 11 Bama D to the 09 NU D?
There is no comparison. The only relatively reasonable thing you could say is that Suh could've played on the 11 Bama D.

There is definately a comparison, watch some games from 2009. Despite the lack of effort of our offense we gave up 12 pts per game in the Big 12. The big 12 had much better offenses then the SEC, not to mention they let Texas hang 21 on them that year with a backup QB (we gave up 13 McCoy) .... Bama has a GREAT defense, but to act like we had one guy who could play on that team is ridiculous....

I did not mean to imply we only had one guy or that the others sucked. It was a good, solid unit but, I just feel Bama this year was extra special. And, like someone else pointed out, Prince prob could've hung in there too. I just don't see anybody else from our 09 replacing what Bama put on the field this year. It is not a knock on our team but more an indication of how great I feel Bama was on D this year. If it helps, I think our 09 D could've stopped Bama's offense the other night.