Four Huskers invited to the NFL Combine

knapplc

I was hoping to see Terrance Moore or maybe Mike Caputo get an invite. Either of these guys could possibly make a roster. A good combine could get them drafted, or at least an early FA offer. Caputo might be a long shot. He is a bit small for NFL pass protection.

Mike Caputo is 6 foot 1 275 pounds playing center. In the NFL the average offensive lineman is between 300 and 330 pounds. Most DT's and NT's in the NFL are pushing the 285 to 310 pound mark. If Caputo ever signs a contract for an NFL team I would be shocked. As much as people have bitched about our offensive line and their inabilities to block, I am amazed people around Nebraska are so high on Caputo. I know he's a Nebraska kid and a walk on but as a center, he was responsible for making the calls up front on blocking assignments. Our offensive line has never really been very dominant since Caputo took over, we've been very inconsistent with all the false starts and missed blocking assignments. He clearly struggled recognizing defensive alignments and not only that, he was physically dominated repeatedly in games at Nebraska. The Texas AnM game comes to mind instantly. NT's were very hard for him to deal with. In the NFL it would not be pretty for him. I'm really excited to see one of our young center's on the roster take the spot over and maybe help show some improvement across the offensive line as a whole. Unfortunately, with this coaching staffs baffling decision to not give any other center game time snaps this year, it will probably be a very tough first few games or more before the center gets a real level of comfort out there. But I guess you could pretty much say that across the board for this team........

Agree 100%. I dont understand how people think he was that good. He was an average center on an average o-line. How dose he then go and compete against the best of the best? Jones is getting an invite because of his measurable and the fact that he was the best linemen (at times) we had imo but thats not saying much. Yoshi might get an invite but wouldnt be shocked if he didnt. He has a great motor but looks fat and plays fat. Other then the big 3 of ours, no one else really deserves an invite. GBR

That.

I was hoping to see Terrance Moore or maybe Mike Caputo get an invite. Either of these guys could possibly make a roster. A good combine could get them drafted, or at least an early FA offer. Caputo might be a long shot. He is a bit small for NFL pass protection.

Caputo? are you serious??

At times in the Michigan game (and others) he was shoved around so badly it was not even funny. I would hate to see him against NFL players...

It pains me to see people say things like this about Yoshi. Dude was a warrior for us. Made mistakes, sure, but he bled Husker Red his whole time here.

Knapplc, our offensive line is far from elite. We all have nothing but respect for these guys and we know they did the best they could, but facts are facts. Yoshi was not one of our better offensive linemen or even what I would consider a good one. Our offensive line has either personnel, coaching or both issues going on...

At times in the Michigan game (and others) he was shoved around so badly it was not even funny. I would hate to see him against NFL players...

Some of the D-linemen we faced this year *are* NFL caliber. Deven Still, PSU and Jerel Worthy, MI St are two of the best in the nation. They'll both go in the first couple of rounds. Maybe both in the first round. Mike Martin, MI, Mike Daniels IA both stand a good chance of playing Sundays. (I can't remember if all these guys were healthy/starting when we played them.) And yeah, the odds aren't too good that Caputo will get picked. He has a better chance of getting an invite to the combine than getting drafted. About 100 or so more guys get invited to the combine than get drafted. I don't see why it's so controversial for me to wish he could snag a combine invite.

Yea, they list him at that 6 foot 1 but I agree, I've seen the kid and he doesn't look like he's even six foot tall. Pensick is the backup according to the roster, but I don't think he or any other backup center has had any real time snaps have they? Ryne Reeves is supposed to push for time at either center or guard immediately. Whoever it is I don't really care how physically dominant they are nearly as much as I care about thier knowledge of reading defensive lines and linebackers and making the correct calls up front. I don't think our offensive line is to blame for all of our struggles the last four years, but they haven't been mind blowing powerful up there either. It's time to fix that this season.

I think Pensick has seen mop up duty and sparingly gave Caputo rest. I believe in the Michigan State game, Pensick came in momentarily for a couple of snaps after Caputo went down on the field. Same thing happened last year. But, for the most part, Pensick hasn't played a lot of snaps. Been here awhile, though.

For the most part, I agree with your assessment. There's a certain pre-requisite of size and strength that you need to be successful, and then most everything else comes down to your fundamentals and technique. If everything were about size and strength then there'd be far more "great" players out there, but as we all know, it really comes down to who puts the work in and gets the fundamentals/techniques down. That said, I would put a lot of blame on the offensive line for the last three years, specifically. I think they improved in 2011, but there were still plenty of instances where I was watching what they were doing and came away baffled at how poorly they were playing. This next year, and 2013, have absolutely no excuses for those guys. Many of them will have seen significant PT (especially by 2013). If they're not performing well by that point it will be troubling, especially since many of these guys that are about to start playing were pretty good recruits.

What? You think he's better than a longshot? I dunno. Caputo is ranked around 15th to 20th at C in most scouting reports. Like I said above, he's a bit small for what NFL teams are looking for. But if you think he's a sure thing then I respect your opinion.

Haha I just saw this now, and no i don't think caputo is better than a long shot, I think he isn't really gunna get a look at all. I'm glad he was a husker and what he did for this program but in all honestly I'm glad to have him move on

I kind of just skimmed over the thread, so I don't know how many times this has been said, but I'm just really glad Crick is still getting his shot. Obviously, I was super bummed when we he went out since it was his senior year and his Husker days were done, but I felt really bad and worried for him and his potential NFL future. Who knows if he'll be able to perform at the level he used to, but I'm pumped that he's recovered enough to get a shot. GBR