Just another game that means nothing

Most people know in Doc's first 5 years I was probably his biggest supporter and have also proclaimed relentlessly that Nebraska could not do any better than Doc right now. Then this season started, and about three games in I began to change my tune. I've actually begun leaning towards firing Doc. Even last nights win doesn't do much for me, but i think we owe it to him to see how the season plays out, because this isn't exactly the same scenario as years past when Doc has pulled one off.

This team is full of veterans, has a consistent rotation (for the first time in Doc's career he is not pulling random guys off the bench making fans scratch their heads), has multiple leaders, and the win came at a very opportune time. In previous years, I don't think the upset wins helped much because players still didn't understand what it meant. When you have a veteran team with some strong leaders, guys can actually take this win and use it to improve their confidence. Everyone knows this is one of the best teams Doc has had, and a shot of confidence may be exactly what it needed. Outside of the OSU game, this team is going into a stretch of games it can win, although not easily.

I'll give Doc 6 more games to see how this team responds. They've got OSU, @Iowa, @NW, Minn, Mich, @PSU. If they don't win 3 games and have 0 blowouts, I'm officially jumping on the fire Doc bandwagon. I absolutely love the guy, but this program has to pick up some momentum immediately and next year's team is not going to be better than this years. It's a tall order and I really hope Doc can do it, this team is different than what he's had in the past, but if they don't manage 3 wins in these next 6 games a change has to be made.

With four of 5 starters being seniors................it's tough to see an upward trendline.

Although to be fair..........Diaz should be starting. So next year his nucleus is Diaz, Ubel, Talley, and Almeida. (assuming Diaz comes back -----always a drama, and Almeida gets healthy.........BIG IF........)

Where are the guards..........?? Outside of redshirting Gallegos..................he will be heavily dependent upon this years bench with little action (because of the 7 man rotation) and/or new recruits.

Not a proven formula for conference play.

Most people know in Doc's first 5 years I was probably his biggest supporter and have also proclaimed relentlessly that Nebraska could not do any better than Doc right now. Then this season started, and about three games in I began to change my tune. I've actually begun leaning towards firing Doc. Even last nights win doesn't do much for me, but i think we owe it to him to see how the season plays out, because this isn't exactly the same scenario as years past when Doc has pulled one off.

This team is full of veterans, has a consistent rotation (for the first time in Doc's career he is not pulling random guys off the bench making fans scratch their heads), has multiple leaders, and the win came at a very opportune time. In previous years, I don't think the upset wins helped much because players still didn't understand what it meant. When you have a veteran team with some strong leaders, guys can actually take this win and use it to improve their confidence. Everyone knows this is one of the best teams Doc has had, and a shot of confidence may be exactly what it needed. Outside of the OSU game, this team is going into a stretch of games it can win, although not easily.

I'll give Doc 6 more games to see how this team responds. They've got OSU, @Iowa, @NW, Minn, Mich, @PSU. If they don't win 3 games and have 0 blowouts, I'm officially jumping on the fire Doc bandwagon. I absolutely love the guy, but this program has to pick up some momentum immediately and next year's team is not going to be better than this years. It's a tall order and I really hope Doc can do it, this team is different than what he's had in the past, but if they don't manage 3 wins in these next 6 games a change has to be made.

SADler needs to go, period. His teams play an ugly, boring brand of basketball and why would any HS senior or Juco player want to play in that system? The DOCtor has to be out. Why wait for the next 6 games to be played? Its the first time I have ever hoped for losses, there needs to be no reprieve for this guy.

T_O_B

G>B>R

SADler needs to go, period. His teams play an ugly, boring brand of basketball and why would any HS senior or Juco player want to play in that system? The DOCtor has to be out. Why wait for the next 6 games to be played? Its the first time I have ever hoped for losses, there needs to be no reprieve for this guy.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Just got off the phone with Dr. Tom. Sadler stays.

Basketball will mean more when the new facilities are done, till then it'll always be a writeoff with nothing invested. Doc will either win when they open the new arena or be out the door with a serious search on that year. Firing him before then would do nothing but saddle the university with a coach on the level of Doc but that couldn't be fired for appearances sake for a few years while the facilities lose the new shine.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Why wait for the next 6 games? Because there is nothing to gain by canning him now. There's still time to turn the season around, but if he doesn't do it in the next 6 games, the final 5 won't really matter. That's when attendance can drop to 0 and fans can start putting pressure on Tom. No sense causing all that negativity until all hope is lost for certain.

With four of 5 starters being seniors................it's tough to see an upward trendline.

Although to be fair..........Diaz should be starting. So next year his nucleus is Diaz, Ubel, Talley, and Almeida. (assuming Diaz comes back -----always a drama, and Almeida gets healthy.........BIG IF........)

Where are the guards..........?? Outside of redshirting Gallegos..................he will be heavily dependent upon this years bench with little action (because of the 7 man rotation) and/or new recruits.

Not a proven formula for conference play.

Like Lyons said, Gallegos won't contribute anything. I'll admit I was extremely wrong about him. I was very high on him and thought he'd be great, then his sophomore year I was on here proclaiming he would be the most improved player on the team, and he ended up being worse than the year before. I think Hilliard WILL be a player and Moore and Rivers COULD be players but probably not under Doc as he doesn't seem to develop players well. That's why I think Doc has to prove it in these next 6 games, because this is the best group of players he'll have for a year and a half.

Basketball will mean more when the new facilities are done, till then it'll always be a writeoff with nothing invested. Doc will either win when they open the new arena or be out the door with a serious search on that year. Firing him before then would do nothing but saddle the university with a coach on the level of Doc but that couldn't be fired for appearances sake for a few years while the facilities lose the new shine.

A successful BBall program is a sleeping giant (financial and otherwise) in these parts... I'm officiall 'calling my shot' - TO sees this, and will do his absolute best to leave Volleyball (new facilities) and Men's Basketball on an upward trajectory before his depature.

how's that for just 'a Thursday'...?

A successful BBall program is a sleeping giant (financial and otherwise) in these parts... I'm officiall 'calling my shot' - TO sees this, and will do his absolute best to leave Volleyball (new facilities) and Men's Basketball on an upward trajectory before his depature.

I was 1000% convinced T.O. wouldn't fire Doc cause he does things the 'right way' but the more I've thought about it the past week, the more I think he can and will pull the trigger. As stupid as it may sound, I finally became convinced of it last night during/after the game. People WILL sell out games if the team is even going just one game over .500 in conference every year and making the tourney. Tom is not dumb, he sees and hears the roars for ONE freaking win during a TERRIBLE season.

I honestly thought since Doc had one conference win after PSU that he would be around to see in the new arena, but I'm starting to think if he finishes with fewer than 5 wins this year Tom will put him on notice if not give him the boot. He may give one more year under the guise of fairness, but in all reality it'll probably be just bring in a new coach with the new arena closer to being openned. His team next year won't win enough games if he's on the hot seat anyway.

I was 1000% convinced T.O. wouldn't fire Doc cause he does things the 'right way' but the more I've thought about it the past week, the more I think he can and will pull the trigger. As stupid as it may sound, I finally became convinced of it last night during/after the game. People WILL sell out games if the team is even going just one game over .500 in conference every year and making the tourney. Tom is not dumb, he sees and hears the roars for ONE freaking win during a TERRIBLE season.

I honestly thought since Doc had one conference win after PSU that he would be around to see in the new arena, but I'm starting to think if he finishes with fewer than 5 wins this year Tom will put him on notice if not give him the boot. He may give one more year under the guise of fairness, but in all reality it'll probably be just bring in a new coach with the new arena closer to being openned. His team next year won't win enough games if he's on the hot seat anyway.

It's a really hard thing, because fundamentally I love Doc, and would just love to invite him over to my place for multiple beers... (and know folks who do.) It's just business.

• Fire 2

It's a really hard thing, because fundamentally I love Doc, and would just love to invite him over to my place for multiple beers... (and know folks who do.) It's just business.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

(and I agree with the sentiment on Gallegos................at what point in his redshirt does his shot quit becoming a dangerous line drive?)

At this point, the only thing that will save Doc's bacon is getting into the NCAA Tourney.

Considering our schedule, it appears the only way to do that is to only drop two of our remaining season games at the most and make a good showing in the Big 10 tourney...and even then, I'd say we're a bubble prospect only if the stars line up for us.

01/21 Ohio State 7pm (L)

01/26 @ Iowa 6pm (W)

02/02 @ Northwestern 6pm (W)

02/05 Minnesota 12pm (W)

02/08 Michigan 7:30pm (L)

02/11 @ Penn State 12pm (W)

02/18 Illinois 4pm (?)

02/22 @ Purdue 5:30pm (W)

02/25 @ Michigan State 7pm (L)

02/29 Iowa 8pm (W)

03/03 @ Minnesota 11:30am (W)

03/08-11 Big Ten Tournament

I'm only seeing, what, 8 wins at best (if I did this right) which would give us an 18-11 record heading into the Big 10 tourney. Unless we're playing for the Big Ten title in the conference tourney, there's no way we get into the big dance--we've got too lousy a non-con resume.

I would hate to see Doc go, unless he truly wanted to continue coaching--he's a great ambassador to our school, has a lot of energy, and mixes well with the common folk. Perphaps we find a spot for him in the AD to help Dr. Tom turn this thing around as a consultant and a(nother) face for the basketball boosters to mingle with?

At this point, the only thing that will save Doc's bacon is getting into the NCAA Tourney.

Considering our schedule, it appears the only way to do that is to only drop two of our remaining season games at the most and make a good showing in the Big 10 tourney...and even then, I'd say we're a bubble prospect only if the stars line up for us.

01/21 Ohio State 7pm (L)

01/26 @ Iowa 6pm (W)

02/02 @ Northwestern 6pm (W)

02/05 Minnesota 12pm (W)

02/08 Michigan 7:30pm (L)

02/11 @ Penn State 12pm (W)

02/18 Illinois 4pm (?)

02/22 @ Purdue 5:30pm (W)

02/25 @ Michigan State 7pm (L)

02/29 Iowa 8pm (W)

03/03 @ Minnesota 11:30am (W)

03/08-11 Big Ten Tournament

I'm only seeing, what, 8 wins at best (if I did this right) which would give us an 18-11 record heading into the Big 10 tourney. Unless we're playing for the Big Ten title in the conference tourney, there's no way we get into the big dance--we've got too lousy a non-con resume.

I would hate to see Doc go, unless he truly wanted to continue coaching--he's a great ambassador to our school, has a lot of energy, and mixes well with the common folk. Perphaps we find a spot for him in the AD to help Dr. Tom turn this thing around as a consultant and a(nother) face for the basketball boosters to mingle with?

Man I give you credit for being optimistic...............5 more conference road wins ??...........(I'd love it, but can't see it happening)

I have mused before that our best hope is for Doc to get kidnapped the last 2 minutes of a close game and just see what happens without time outs and/or special plays that rarely work (Wed night excepted)

So maybe we ought to parody the traditional Rock the Dock night before Football games at the Embassey Suites with our own "Lock the Doc" scheme in every game for the last 2 minutes............??

I do like your idea of keeping Doc around as a super "mingler"..................he really is great with people............

T_O_B

G>B>R

Why wait for the next 6 games? Because there is nothing to gain by canning him now. There's still time to turn the season around, but if he doesn't do it in the next 6 games, the final 5 won't really matter. That's when attendance can drop to 0 and fans can start putting pressure on Tom. No sense causing all that negativity until all hope is lost for certain.