How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

this thread is irrelavant, TM is but one guy on the team.

Not really, he is one of the major cogs. I don't think we will be a Top 5 contender with him as QB, especially when the running game is Burkhead or none. This offense as a whole has a lot of problems, starting with coaching. The O-line is deplorable in Nebraska standards. Then when you throw in where the defense is, it isn't pretty, no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. Just look at the numbers, where they ranked in all the breakdowns. That says it all.

Hercules,

Do you see practice? Are you reviewing the film? It is your opinion, not fact, that says there is no "Bo doghouse". It is your opinion that the best guy plays. It is my opinion that there is a doghouse and that better athletes re riding the pine. Both of our opinions are based upon watching the same scenarios, but coming to different conclusions/opinions.

I do think this team has potential. I think we are incredibly young and learning. I just have concerns when the OC says he gets stubborn or when Raymond says he forgot to play so and so in and when Raymond even calls out the talent gap after our bowl game. We have a long way to go. Green and

Heard burning shirts etc (i know Bo asks if they want to burn them, but the coach should no best, not an 18 yo) A lot of it, again my opinion, will depend on the staff and their ability to recruit the right kids, teach and coach them up get them into the game to make an impact.

this thread is irrelavant, TM is but one guy on the team.

Not really, he is one of the major cogs. I don't think we will be a Top 5 contender with him as QB, especially when the running game is Burkhead or none. This offense as a whole has a lot of problems, starting with coaching. The O-line is deplorable in Nebraska standards. Then when you throw in where the defense is, it isn't pretty, no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. Just look at the numbers, where they ranked in all the breakdowns. That says it all.

look back and read your post......problems are more than at qb.......you made my point, exactly.

Hercules,

Do you see practice? Are you reviewing the film? It is your opinion, not fact, that says there is no "Bo doghouse". It is your opinion that the best guy plays. It is my opinion that there is a doghouse and that better athletes re riding the pine. Both of our opinions are based upon watching the same scenarios, but coming to different conclusions/opinions.

I know, neither of us see practice or review the film. The difference is, I'm trusting the guys who actually do see practice, who are reviewing the film. I'm trusting the guy who is actually inside.

Anyways, the fact that nobody can objectively prove a theory doesn't make every opinion on that matter equally valid.

Hercules,

I know, neither of us see practice or review the film. The difference is, I'm trusting the guys who actually do see practice, who are reviewing the film. I'm trusting the guy who is actually inside.

Anyways, the fact that nobody can objectively prove a theory doesn't make every opinion on that matter equally valid.

and is that coach being subjective or objective in their evaluation?........we'll never know, but there is room for speculation as the same guys continued to play.....and still make mistakes.

and what is this crap with Beck, asking TM if certain plays are OK with him? obviously the kid will say no if he thinks he can't execute the play Beck has in mind......are you kidding me? ."Oh, TM, say, would this play be alright to call in this situation?".........Beck will never coach up a skilled QB, if he doesn't challenge the kid to develop and learn more....this philosophy makes no sense to me.

So you want our offensive coordinator to throw the kid out there with a play he is clearly not comfortable with? I highly doubt the language is "Oh, TM, say, would this play be alright to call in this situation?", because if that is the case, then Taylor might as well be the offensive coordinator. Beck just wants to make sure he knows the reads, which is perfectly fine with me...is it not for you?

Then it goes back to coaching. The ugly elephant in the room. This staff either completely sucks at recruiting or in player development. If no one wants to make Martinez take any responsibility for dropped balls than it is on the coaches, plain and simple. They pull JT, who was catching passes, leading receiver after 6 games, misses a catch at Minnesota and then name a drop drill after him. Then he is completely absent. Even if he practices like crap he was the leading receiver. Hey guess who actually got to see him during the recruiting, spring and fall. Wait for it, the coaches. Se a pattern here. It took them recruiting, spring and fall and six games to realize his practice ethics suck.. Really?! If he wasn't grassping the play book, it is the coaches job to design something, even 3 plays to get the kid the ball. His blocking stunk? So does Reeds. He didn't sit.

First and foremost, there's a HUGE difference between spring football and the Fall season. Players don't practice near the hours, don't have near the student attention, don't have near the media attention and pretty much get to focus on themselves in the spring/summer. It's highly likely that when the season hit, and a lot more was asked of JT, he crumpled under the pressure. That's purely conjecture on my part, but it seems a lot more reasonable that my assumption is correct over your idea that either our coaches suck or our recruiting sucks. My theory is also more likely because this happens all the time to freshman when they get to college, especially athletes during the Fall.

Second, again, I think the best advice I can give you is to realize the methodology of our coaching staff. Practice correlates to games. JT admitted to dogging it in practice. It's pretty simple if you ask me. Coaches can only say so much to motivate a player - in the end, the player is responsible for his actions. I highly doubt it's a 'recruiting' issue, as you so naively suggested. I'm sure it's more of a "I'm an 18-year-old freshman playing for Nebraska"...issue.

So you think that Bo and Co have done a good job developing the players and depth? All of Bo's recruiting have been hits? I am not naively suggesting our recruiting is an issue, I am simply stating that you would think, when you are paid to recruit kids for a specific purpose that there would have been clues somewhere along the way that JT didn't run good routes, block well or dogs it in some instances dogs it in practice. The staff saw his HS film, spring/summer and fall to include the weight training and spring game, not to mention he started 6 games and was the teams leading receiver. THEN after all this they realized he was sub par. You honestly don't think this might be a coaching issue or a recruiting miss? Seems like a logical assumption, based upon the facts that we have. Do you really expect him to say "I practice well and am getting jobbed" He said what needed to be said. Has this staff really knocked it out of the park with Bo's recruits? Perhaps it is too early to tell. Rex and David, two great ones to be sure, but the future will tell. Four offensive systems later, I really can't tell if the kids will pan out and the D seems incredibly complicated that you need to be in 3-4 yrs to do well. It just seems that the excuse,, his practice habits stnk should have been detected well before game 6. I still wonder about the mythical Bo's doghouse and then the injury reports.

I just see a double standard with this staff. Some kids make mistake after mistake and still play while others make one and appear to be done.

I think Pelini and Co. have done really well in some areas and need to improve in others. But as to the part I underlined, what are you insinuating? That every one of a coach's recruits is supposed to be a "hit"? And yes, it is naive just to say that recruiting is the issue and not consider other factors. You still haven't even recognized my point about this kid only being a freshman, and perhaps succumbing to freshman pressures.

In conjunction, you're approaching this topic as if recruiting is an exact science, and that coaches should be able to tell everything about a player from high school film and interviews. This line of thought is, again, naive. There are hundreds (and in its history, thousands) of college athletes who come to a university with a lot of promise and then fizzle out into nothingness. Think Saban recruits a "hit" with every guy, and that he never has guys who end up having work ethic issues? Ha....

I would reiterate points others have made, but I think your argument is a difficult one to argue with. Not because it's right, because I think just the opposite, but because your issues come right down coaching. You don't trust the coaches, you don't trust recruiting and you don't trust their coaching style. You have said that other players screwed up, but continued to see playing time. I will continue, however, to direct you to one idea that I have said numerous times and am sick of saying - the coaches believe that practice correlates to the game. If you don't see a player, I'm 100 percent sure it's because somebody else is doing better in practice and earned PT. If an above average athlete knows the scheme better, and plays more CONSISTENTLY in practice, he's going to get more PT over the great athlete who is far more inconsistent in practice.

If you have a problem with their coaching philosophy, that's fine, but don't use it as a means to suggest they don't know how to coach or can't recruit. It's obvious by now that you simply don't trust their judgement.

Hercules,

and is that coach being subjective or objective in their evaluation?........we'll never know, but there is room for speculation as the same guys continued to play.....and still make mistakes.

All I've got to say about that is this: Bo knows a HELL of a lot more about football and coaching a team than you or me. It's pretty arrogant and ruhhtarded to come on a message board and act like you have all the answers and/or criticize what the coaches are doing when you have no idea about what is actually going on or how things are really done behind the scenes with the football team. I've never been a fan of people second guessing everything that a coach does.

It's like during the Michigan game when we sent that guy in to block the punt and he got that stupid roughing the kicker penalty. People are still on Bo's a$$ about that, and it's 2 months down the road. Just think about if it actually would have gotten blocked and that gave us the momentum to win the game. People would have been praising Bo and saying how he called that block at the exact right time. Let's just give that kind of BS a rest....

People that talk about how good TMart is because of his all-time yardage ranking crack me up. Since when did stats like that really matter? He passed Tommie Frazier. So? Do you honestly think he is anywhere close to as good as Tommie was at running his offense? Tommie made huge plays, game changing plays, national championship game changing plays. Tmarts numbers are better because we use Tmart WAY more than we used Tommie. I think Tommie was like 14% of our offense while I believe Taylor has been close to 70% of our offense. That is a fault of our coaching imo.

Just because someone has done more of something than someone else, does not make them better. Vinney Testaverde has more NFL passing yards than Fouts, Brees, Montana, Unitas, Brady, Kelly, Young, Simms, Aikman, Warner, Bradshaw, and Eli. So what? All those guys are or were better than Vinny, he just played longer and had more opportunity.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind can WATCH Taylor run his offense and watch Tommie run his offense and put them in the same sentence. It's not ever close. We are not talking fantasy football, we are talking actual football.

Majech, please believe me that nobody is saying Tmart is better than Frazier was.

That being said, the point many are trying to say is that football is a team sport. I can't imagine you not acknowledging that comparing those two is apples and oranges in many ways. I'm a Lincoln native and I assure you I've watched both but where it gets muddy is when we consider the "team" they played with.

I would argue that Tmart, Lee, Ganz or "any" qb we've had lately would have performed much, much better with the Oline, rbs, wrs & OC Frazier played with. Having a vicious, attacking mid-90s defense that crushes opponent offenses wouldn't hurt either.

In summary I think it's grossly unfair to compare Frazier's "WATCHED" results with Tmart's. We're talking two very, very different "teams" in terms of quality.

I certainly hope they are not saying he is better, as that is just lunacy, but the comparison keeps getting made, lol.

Frazier clearly had a better O-Line, but Tmart has had pretty damn good WR and RB's imo. Burkhead is a machine and Helu was a game changer and is doing well in the League. I'd even say that TMart's WR's have been better than Fraziers. The OC is the biggest difference imo. TO's offenses were focused, consistent, and maxed out execution due to a structured system that had been in place for seasons. Our offensive philosophy is pretty much a train-wreck imo. Towards the end of the last 3 seasons, our offense has gotten worse. That is totally opposite of how it should be. I think that is because we have no "system" or core philosophy. Beck referred to our offense as a "mutt". How many times have you ever seen a mutt win a dog-show? NONE. They can make nice pets and can be cute to look at or play with, but when facing the elite, mutts don't get it done. THAT really hinders TMart, and our team, imo.

The biggest measure of a QB, imo, is their ability to make plays and run their offense. When does TMart make "that" play? When does he make "that" throw? I just don't see it. It seems to me that he would make a great scramble for a big 1st down, but he doesn't. Actually, imo, his running is not very good. Straight line speed? Great, but that doesn't really get showcased much at the QB spot. Regarding running the offense, our offense has had many, many underachieving efforts with TMart taking the snaps, and yes I know there are many other factors involved, but it just does not seem to be working to me. That are also many times that TMart does things that are just not good, like when he threw the ball to K Reed who was like 7 yards behind the LOS in the bowl game. Just throw the ball away. Where is the gamesmanship and awareness? Too many plays like that out of a 2-year starter imo.

Wow. Well, we'll agree to disagree then.

Roy & Rex are damn fine backs but neither is in the same galaxy as LP (on the field). Saying Frazier's Oline was "better" than Tmart's is like saying a brand new Maserati is "better" than a 20 year old used Pinto. While 100% true, that sure doesn't paint a picture at all of the truly MASSIVE difference in quality between the two. Lastly, I don't recall wrs C. Johnson, R, Baul, J. Vedral, etc being pass dropping machines and they blocked wayyyyyyyyy better than Bell, Turner or Reed.

The bottom line is that it's about 10,000 times easier for a qb to make plays and run their offense when their Oline is consistently steamrolling people into the dust, the wrs catch the ball and your OC has the opponent DC chugging down Jim Beam by halftime.

Also, in the unlikely event you do get stopped, so what? Punt the ball, let the defense totally destroy the offense and get the ball back in four plays.

Heh...you really don't think those things make much difference, huh? Well, that's ok. It would be so boring if we all agreed on everything, right?

GBR!!

I never stated that TMart's RB's were as good as Frazier's, they CLEARLY were not. That being said, it is not a fair statement to say TMart has not played with good RB's and WR's. If RB and Helu are not good enough for TMart to succeed, then then there is a TMart issue as RB and Helu are both VERY good RB's. Are they LP and Ahman? Hell no, but they are good.

Do TMart's WR's drop passes? They certainly do. Pretty much all WR's we've had for seasons have dropped passes which, imo, points to coaching. Frazier's WR's basically never dropped passes, but I think if you look at strictly talent eval, I'd give Paul, Kinnie, JT, K Bell, and Enunwa the edge. Now this staff comes nowhere near getting everything out of those guys, but again, I don't think it is fair to say that TMart doesn't have the WR talent to succeed.

There are also some major issues with the scheme of our O-line. I think the talent is better than the results, tbh. Re-watch the Michigan game as an example. Their D-line scheme DESTROYED our blocking scheme. It wasn't so much that our linemen couldn't block, it is that our scheme didn't have them block. Michigan would line up 1 guy in the middle, overload 2 guys on the edge over our right tackle, and one guy on our left tackle. This pretty much stymied our oline as our two OG's and C would basically triple team their NT or not block anyone, while our RT would unsuccessfully attempt to block two guys. This happened a lot and has happened in many other games.

Enhance, I would simply say that chemistry between QB and WR is important, any way you slice it. If the QB can't trust the WRs to run their routes right, that is a problem. If the WR expects an erratic throw - and by that I mean they don't know what kind of ball it will be or where it will be - then that's also an issue.

I think you're just way over-simplifying a very complicated thing. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, because I'm sure you know this, but throwing and catching a football in a game is far more complicated than 'chemistry'. Perhaps you don't mean that, but it's the impression I'm getting.

I wouldn't call it "chemistry", I'd call it trust. The QB can trust that the receivers will run the routes and be in the general area of where the ball is thrown when the ball gets there and the receivers trust the QB that when they get to "the spot" the ball will be there and only they will have a chance to catch it. When it works, and a team is clicking, it's almost like a sort of telepathy between the players....

and what is this crap with Beck, asking TM if certain plays are OK with him? obviously the kid will say no if he thinks he can't execute the play Beck has in mind......are you kidding me? ."Oh, TM, say, would this play be alright to call in this situation?".........Beck will never coach up a skilled QB, if he doesn't challenge the kid to develop and learn more....this philosophy makes no sense to me.

So you want our offensive coordinator to throw the kid out there with a play he is clearly not comfortable with? I highly doubt the language is "Oh, TM, say, would this play be alright to call in this situation?", because if that is the case, then Taylor might as well be the offensive coordinator. Beck just wants to make sure he knows the reads, which is perfectly fine with me...is it not for you?

i would hope TM would be learning some new plays in practice, something different, a different look, a slight variation on a vintage play......but how much of that did we see? and how much was based on what TM wanted to run and what Beck wanted to run?.....maybe this is why we don't have a core offensive concept for moving the ball, because Beck is still trying to figure out what his qb can run?........i dunno, but i thought the comment coming from Beck was off color and not very inspiring........

Then it goes back to coaching. The ugly elephant in the room. This staff either completely sucks at recruiting or in player development. If no one wants to make Martinez take any responsibility for dropped balls than it is on the coaches, plain and simple. They pull JT, who was catching passes, leading receiver after 6 games, misses a catch at Minnesota and then name a drop drill after him. Then he is completely absent. Even if he practices like crap he was the leading receiver. Hey guess who actually got to see him during the recruiting, spring and fall. Wait for it, the coaches. Se a pattern here. It took them recruiting, spring and fall and six games to realize his practice ethics suck.. Really?! If he wasn't grassping the play book, it is the coaches job to design something, even 3 plays to get the kid the ball. His blocking stunk? So does Reeds. He didn't sit.

First and foremost, there's a HUGE difference between spring football and the Fall season. Players don't practice near the hours, don't have near the student attention, don't have near the media attention and pretty much get to focus on themselves in the spring/summer. It's highly likely that when the season hit, and a lot more was asked of JT, he crumpled under the pressure. That's purely conjecture on my part, but it seems a lot more reasonable that my assumption is correct over your idea that either our coaches suck or our recruiting sucks. My theory is also more likely because this happens all the time to freshman when they get to college, especially athletes during the Fall.

Second, again, I think the best advice I can give you is to realize the methodology of our coaching staff. Practice correlates to games. JT admitted to dogging it in practice. It's pretty simple if you ask me. Coaches can only say so much to motivate a player - in the end, the player is responsible for his actions. I highly doubt it's a 'recruiting' issue, as you so naively suggested. I'm sure it's more of a "I'm an 18-year-old freshman playing for Nebraska"...issue.

So you think that Bo and Co have done a good job developing the players and depth? All of Bo's recruiting have been hits? I am not naively suggesting our recruiting is an issue, I am simply stating that you would think, when you are paid to recruit kids for a specific purpose that there would have been clues somewhere along the way that JT didn't run good routes, block well or dogs it in some instances dogs it in practice. The staff saw his HS film, spring/summer and fall to include the weight training and spring game, not to mention he started 6 games and was the teams leading receiver. THEN after all this they realized he was sub par. You honestly don't think this might be a coaching issue or a recruiting miss? Seems like a logical assumption, based upon the facts that we have. Do you really expect him to say "I practice well and am getting jobbed" He said what needed to be said. Has this staff really knocked it out of the park with Bo's recruits? Perhaps it is too early to tell. Rex and David, two great ones to be sure, but the future will tell. Four offensive systems later, I really can't tell if the kids will pan out and the D seems incredibly complicated that you need to be in 3-4 yrs to do well. It just seems that the excuse,, his practice habits stnk should have been detected well before game 6. I still wonder about the mythical Bo's doghouse and then the injury reports.

I just see a double standard with this staff. Some kids make mistake after mistake and still play while others make one and appear to be done.

I think Pelini and Co. have done really well in some areas and need to improve in others. But as to the part I underlined, what are you insinuating? That every one of a coach's recruits is supposed to be a "hit"? And yes, it is naive just to say that recruiting is the issue and not consider other factors. You still haven't even recognized my point about this kid only being a freshman, and perhaps succumbing to freshman pressures.

In conjunction, you're approaching this topic as if recruiting is an exact science, and that coaches should be able to tell everything about a player from high school film and interviews. This line of thought is, again, naive. There are hundreds (and in its history, thousands) of college athletes who come to a university with a lot of promise and then fizzle out into nothingness. Think Saban recruits a "hit" with every guy, and that he never has guys who end up having work ethic issues? Ha....

I would reiterate points others have made, but I think your argument is a difficult one to argue with. Not because it's right, because I think just the opposite, but because your issues come right down coaching. You don't trust the coaches, you don't trust recruiting and you don't trust their coaching style. You have said that other players screwed up, but continued to see playing time. I will continue, however, to direct you to one idea that I have said numerous times and am sick of saying - the coaches believe that practice correlates to the game. If you don't see a player, I'm 100 percent sure it's because somebody else is doing better in practice and earned PT. If an above average athlete knows the scheme better, and plays more CONSISTENTLY in practice, he's going to get more PT over the great athlete who is far more inconsistent in practice.

If you have a problem with their coaching philosophy, that's fine, but don't use it as a means to suggest they don't know how to coach or can't recruit. It's obvious by now that you simply don't trust their judgement.

I wont respond the everything as you and I can agree to disagree. No harm, no foul. Do I blindly trust this staff and believe the whole "Bo Knows" mantra. No. He is a new head coach and learning. Same with Beck, Els, Fish and Raymond. I do not agree with some of his promotions. Nothing wrong with folks liking them I just question them.

Recruiting is not an exact science. You are correct. I still do not know why it took 6 games to realize JT has issues. It could be he is a Fresh, but that took that many games to show. He was electrifying in the spring game (yes it was the spring game) and seemed to have the whole Husker nation in awe the first few games. IMO, a good HC and OC could have found a way to get him on the field and get him the ball.

With the "practice correlates to games", what about the kid who practices well and it does not translate to good on the field performance. Maybe Bo's schemes are too complicated and that is why Cassidy starts over the kids. (Not bashing Cassisdy) In four years has anyone come in and excelled in Bo's D in 1-2 years? Guys likes Assante, David, Stafford etc are Juco's so I do not count them.

I just think that BO has done well in some areas, but lacking in others. I am not going to pump sunshine about how awesome he is and that he is the smartest coach ever. Last year, again IMO, playing a broken down Martinez over a healthy Green or Lee cost us two games. Poor judgement. Throwing the ball against Wisky, poor judgement, the A&M rant, poor judgement. For every example folks can show him to be awesome, I can find examples that show the opposite. That's life. I can also say I loved the call to block the punt against Michicken or getting a kid like David or coaching up SUH, etc....... I just like to ask questions and have no issue giving opposing views.

I wont respond the everything as you and I can agree to disagree. No harm, no foul. Do I blindly trust this staff and believe the whole "Bo Knows" mantra. No. He is a new head coach and learning. Same with Beck, Els, Fish and Raymond. I do not agree with some of his promotions. Nothing wrong with folks liking them I just question them.

Recruiting is not an exact science. You are correct. I still do not know why it took 6 games to realize JT has issues. It could be he is a Fresh, but that took that many games to show. He was electrifying in the spring game (yes it was the spring game) and seemed to have the whole Husker nation in awe the first few games. IMO, a good HC and OC could have found a way to get him on the field and get him the ball.

With the "practice correlates to games", what about the kid who practices well and it does not translate to good on the field performance. Maybe Bo's schemes are too complicated and that is why Cassidy starts over the kids. (Not bashing Cassisdy) In four years has anyone come in and excelled in Bo's D in 1-2 years? Guys likes Assante, David, Stafford etc are Juco's so I do not count them.

I just think that BO has done well in some areas, but lacking in others. I am not going to pump sunshine about how awesome he is and that he is the smartest coach ever. Last year, again IMO, playing a broken down Martinez over a healthy Green or Lee cost us two games. Poor judgement. Throwing the ball against Wisky, poor judgement, the A&M rant, poor judgement. For every example folks can show him to be awesome, I can find examples that show the opposite. That's life. I can also say I loved the call to block the punt against Michicken or getting a kid like David or coaching up SUH, etc....... I just like to ask questions and have no issue giving opposing views.

I'll break my responses down by paragraph

Paragraph 2 - Like I said, I think JT's issues come down to the fact that his effort began to falter as the season went on. Six weeks into the season and it's mid-October - that's mid term time. Something we always forget is that these guys are students. I just think it's very likely that a young, impressionistic fellow like himself didn't have his head right this year. But, again, a good HC and OC can't make a player do anything - it has to come from within the player. My opinion is almost entirely based off the fact that Turner admitted to dogging it in practice. And no, as someone else suggested, I don't know buy the "he was told to say that" argument.

Paragraph 3 - Pelini believes in practice correlating to games (as does Tom Brady and many other people in the sports world). This is why you practice. Most people can't stay physically fit, strap on the gear one day a week and play great football. Most people need practice to get better at something. I don't know many people that have great practices and don't perform in the games. Do you think most great players, from any era, 'dogged' it in practice? I sure don't. That said, the coaches believe that someone who practices well will play well, and that's a fair assumption to make. If the player who practices well and knows the scheme better isn't performing on the field, how does one truly feel about bringing in the guy who doesn't practice well? Not too great, I'm sure.

I don't think Pelini's scheme is too hard, I just think it takes time to execute it effectively. We've seen it work, which is why I won't doubt Pelini. Furthermore, he's a fifth year head coach this year and he's never held a head coaching position before. I'd say that he's just recently figured out how to get the training wheels off, but still crashes every now and then. And yes, Pelini did make people succeed in one-two years. I would consider Suh, Dillard, Crick, Dennard Amukamara and a couple other guys pretty good examples. By the way, Dennard has been here four years and is about to be a top NFL draft pick at the corner position. I'd notch that in Pelini's win column.

Paragraph 4 - I've said this before and I'll say it again - in hindsight, Pelini made a mistake retaining Watson. He should have gone after a better offensive mind or somebody different. Whether Beck was the right choice or not, I don't know, but this staff is very young and set itself back because of the several coaching changes we had to make this last year. Furthermore, I have no problems with opposing views or debates. I think people take themselves way too seriously here sometimes, myself included.

I'll break my responses down by paragraph

Paragraph 2 - Like I said, I think JT's issues come down to the fact that his effort began to falter as the season went on. Six weeks into the season and it's mid-October - that's mid term time. Something we always forget is that these guys are students. I just think it's very likely that a young, impressionistic fellow like himself didn't have his head right this year. But, again, a good HC and OC can't make a player do anything - it has to come from within the player. My opinion is almost entirely based off the fact that Turner admitted to dogging it in practice. And no, as someone else suggested, I don't know buy the "he was told to say that" argument.

Paragraph 3 - Pelini believes in practice correlating to games (as does Tom Brady and many other people in the sports world). This is why you practice. Most people can't stay physically fit, strap on the gear one day a week and play great football. Most people need practice to get better at something. I don't know many people that have great practices and don't perform in the games. Do you think most great players, from any era, 'dogged' it in practice? I sure don't. That said, the coaches believe that someone who practices well will play well, and that's a fair assumption to make. If the player who practices well and knows the scheme better isn't performing on the field, how does one truly feel about bringing in the guy who doesn't practice well? Not too great, I'm sure.

I don't think Pelini's scheme is too hard, I just think it takes time to execute it effectively. We've seen it work, which is why I won't doubt Pelini. Furthermore, he's a fifth year head coach this year and he's never held a head coaching position before. I'd say that he's just recently figured out how to get the training wheels off, but still crashes every now and then. And yes, Pelini did make people succeed in one-two years. I would consider Suh, Dillard, Crick, Dennard Amukamara and a couple other guys pretty good examples. By the way, Dennard has been here four years and is about to be a top NFL draft pick at the corner position. I'd notch that in Pelini's win column.

Paragraph 4 - I've said this before and I'll say it again - in hindsight, Pelini made a mistake retaining Watson. He should have gone after a better offensive mind or somebody different. Whether Beck was the right choice or not, I don't know, but this staff is very young and set itself back because of the several coaching changes we had to make this last year. Furthermore, I have no problems with opposing views or debates. I think people take themselves way too seriously here sometimes, myself included.

Well said. I take myself too seriously as well.

Just opinions, unfortunately (or fortunately) no one on here probably has the "inside pass" to what really goes on.

I do hope that we improve. I can't help but think that with TO right next door Beck won't seek some counsel as to an offense that fits the strengths of the team. I hope that they can really commit to working with Martinez. For better or for worse, he is our guy the next two years. I also would hope that Bo would go next door and work on his whole PR thing. NOt the whole yelling and anger, but the whole (what I perceive) to be a antagonistic approach to the fan base.

I also hope that Raymond's comments ring in the ears of some of the kids and it lights a fire in their butts. I am sure that it "killed" the spirit of some, but others will only make them rise to the occassion.

At least we still have combine and signing day to complain/gewt excited/I told you so to look forward to.

• Fire 1