How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

It all starts with the O-Line.

Yes your right. What was I thinking. Taylor is great, it's the offensive line that sucks. Everybody else in the country talks about the most important position in football being the QB position, but in Nebraska we settle for this................

HAHAHA! that really is a funny video.

text book.......this isn't going to carry us to any titles.

We have numerous areas that we need to improve upon. Is everything Martinez's fault? No, BUT he is the only one that touches the ball every play.

I will say this until I am blue in the face, but Beck did not really call an offense that plays to his strengths. It is obvious to me that Martinez has issues making reads whether this is reads on receivers or reading his own blocks/holes/defenders. He really seemed more at ease in the shotgun where he has several advantages:

*He is already deeper in the pocket so footwork is less important when doing a 3 or 7 step drop

*If we would go wider O line splits it would widen out the D line making the "holes bigger" for better vision

*Forget the under center option. We need a QB who is much more physical downhill runner. Martinez is not.

*Run the zone read and teach him how to make the reads or even the G option. If he makes the right reads (easier than trying to make him run tough) he hits the seem and his straight ahead speed threat is displayed.

* Looking at his passing he does adequate with the hail mary long ball, but his best percentage is from throws that are approz 7 yrds or in. Let him hit the quick screens or bubble routes to get the D out of the box. Allows us to move the ball like a "run", but gets the D out.

* Need to do more play action and get the balls to the receivers more in reverses/jail break/bubble screens etc. Loved was the Patriots have been doing with Hernandez. How about Reed?

* IMO, Martinez is no longer a threat like last season as D has cued in on him, our play calling and the staff playing him "safe". That is fine, but we then need the other skill players to step up and make up for his lack of productvity. Bring in Carnes for designed plays. Rex in the wildcat with a 2 back set.

*More power formations from the pistol.

*If Martinez can't be Martinez then call the game to play to his skill set, get more guys involved or get a new QB. We can't have an offense predicated on a dual threat when we do not have a true dual threat. We can win with a manager if he improves in his passing and making reads and the staff allows others to be focus of the O instead of an after thought.

Lastly Bo and Co recruit the kids for a reason. Find a way to get them on the field even if for a few plays a game. JT might have issues, I don;t know, but a good coach could get him 3-5 plays he could run in his sleep and get him the ball. Same with Carnes. Let him get the option down cold. Run a play or two and then play action pass for 6. Beck needs to show this imagination he yalks about. I am not talking about multiple, I am talking about defining our system, running it to perfection, and throwing in wrinkles not whole new and different schemes.

It all starts with the O-Line.

Yes your right. What was I thinking. Taylor is great, it's the offensive line that sucks. Everybody else in the country talks about the most important position in football being the QB position, but in Nebraska we settle for this................

HAHAHA! that really is a funny video.

that was funny!

The offense will be fine in 2012, Taylor included. If you want to worry about something, worry about the defense.

Talk about inexperience on D. With the loss of Prince, Haag, Gomes at least we had Crick, David, Fonzie. Who do we have next year to step up? Some guys improved for sure Compton and Green to name 2, but the rest is/are a trick bag toss up for sure.

Really hope Bo "dumbs" down the D to get kids he recruited for their abilities to get on the playing field faster. Crawl, walk, run. Spoon feed them if he needs to, but get these guys he is so high on to the field sooner than later. Also, bring back a Super D clone (Cooper, SJB?) !

Those guys have had years in the system, the same years that the guys who came before them had in '09 and '10. I mean, that was Bo's second season coaching. Bo has an outstanding coverage system, tops in the nation. We need to bring in the personnel to run it. If we don't have that, maybe we have to adjust, but that already sounds like a bad situation to be in.

I think right now we definitely have an issue with talent level in the defense, especially the backfield. A lot of these promising athlete types that you really want to root for, but not a lot of elite recruits out of HS. Sometimes, these guys turn into Alfonzo Dennard. Other times, three years later and they are all still liabilities on D being pushed to the front lines on service.

Where Prince and Alfonzo were rising to stardom, guys like Lazarri, Josh Middleton, Ciante, etc, etc, etc, they're all either still developing in the background, or have faded away. Even Andrew Green is greener than I'd like. I think part of this can be lain at the feet of Sanders, though, or whoever chose to forego the development of any of the young backups in 2010 so that the starters could play all the snaps, despite the need to reload on the horizon.

And we end up relying, big time, on being able to snatch a talented, battle-tested JUCO to plug the holes and stop the sinking. Let's hope Seisay lives up to his billing, but I'd also really, really like us to land some elite cornerback prospects. For once. I mean, seriously, we've been cursed in this department for ages, with all our best CB recruits floundering or finding some way to not end up here.

I think Green is going to turn into a very good cornerback. He was not playing well at all early in the season, but he was a totally different play at the end of the season. Wasn't playing great football, but it was still far better than what he was doing in September.

Still holding hopes for CJ to make it for fall camp.

Back on point...Im still worried about replacing the departing lineman more so than Taylors improvement. I hopeful he will continue to improve as he did some this past season, but I feel the youth coming up alond the Oline will need to step up big time to give our offense its best chance at success.

We need better improvements then last season, from start to finish there were none.

Disagree. The secondary got a lot better as the year went on. Perfect? No. But still significantly better.

I'm mean TMart only.

I still think you're wrong about that. TMart improved a lot as a game manager and as a passer this year. You realize that he went 10/16 passing vs probably the fastest defense we faced this year right? Those stats include 3 or 4 drops by our receivers. In addition to his passing, he was also effective in the running game.

You think he could have done that earlier in the year? It's a judgment call but I don't think so.

Where is Mora when you need him. MNC are you kidding me? Martinez could complete 70% and Rex could run for 150 a game and we are not going to win MNC. We got whacked by USCe. They did not even play the top teams this year and where this 4th in the nation defense some talk about came from I have no idea.

Minimum of three losses next year, could easily be more. Drilled in the SEC bowl. See the forest for the trees, we are down on talent, we are recruiting UR and 2star players, while the top schools are loading up on 4-5 star players and have been for the last 5-6 years.

SC was at best 6th in conference at the end of the year. And we got run. Not enough talent, not enough experience, will not play top freshman for experience, have not back up QB with snaps to even know where the endzone is. A crippled QB, that has the staff telling him not to run, because we have no one capable of taking a snap.

I can not even imagine what would happen with us against a top SEC team. Even a top Big 12 team this year.

A lot needs to happen for us to even equal this year.

For get about blaming Taylor, he is the least of our worries.

Those guys have had years in the system, the same years that the guys who came before them had in '09 and '10. I mean, that was Bo's second season coaching. Bo has an outstanding coverage system, tops in the nation. We need to bring in the personnel to run it. If we don't have that, maybe we have to adjust, but that already sounds like a bad situation to be in.

I think right now we definitely have an issue with talent level in the defense, especially the backfield. A lot of these promising athlete types that you really want to root for, but not a lot of elite recruits out of HS. Sometimes, these guys turn into Alfonzo Dennard. Other times, three years later and they are all still liabilities on D being pushed to the front lines on service.

Where Prince and Alfonzo were rising to stardom, guys like Lazarri, Josh Middleton, Ciante, etc, etc, etc, they're all either still developing in the background, or have faded away. Even Andrew Green is greener than I'd like. I think part of this can be lain at the feet of Sanders, though, or whoever chose to forego the development of any of the young backups in 2010 so that the starters could play all the snaps, despite the need to reload on the horizon.

And we end up relying, big time, on being able to snatch a talented, battle-tested JUCO to plug the holes and stop the sinking. Let's hope Seisay lives up to his billing, but I'd also really, really like us to land some elite cornerback prospects. For once. I mean, seriously, we've been cursed in this department for ages, with all our best CB recruits floundering or finding some way to not end up here.

agree, Bo is gonna run his scheme, whether he has the talent to do it or not.......the not part is staring us in the face, like a 12 guage shotgun!