How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

Zoogies,

If we had Luck under center do you believe Nebraska would have won the MNC, or the CCG, or beat Wisconsin, Michigan and South Carolina. If you do then I understand how you think. If you don't, then you realize there are for more problems than Taylor.

I would like to see better play from our QB, but truly do not feel he will lose us games, may not be able to put the team on his back and win, but I doubt Luck or the Oregon kid could either with what they have to work with here.

Oh he can make some plays, it's just too bad that he can make as many bad plays as good plays.

Also, what did he do in the first 2.5 quarters of that game. If he wouldn't have made those plays and kept playing like he was it would have been another drubbing.

So you're "being more realistic" focuses on Martinez as the culprit for the Ohio State deficit and not on his role in the greatest comeback in school history? That's some pretty real realism you got going on there. :rolleyes:

I never said he didn't help in the comeback, but I don't see BBBXII giving stats and plays from the first 2.5 quarters. If he was part of the reason we won that game, then he was part of the reason we were in that hole. So, ya, realistic in what I see with my own eyes.

Oh he can make some plays, it's just too bad that he can make as many bad plays as good plays.

Also, what did he do in the first 2.5 quarters of that game. If he wouldn't have made those plays and kept playing like he was it would have been another drubbing.

So you're "being more realistic" focuses on Martinez as the culprit for the Ohio State deficit and not on his role in the greatest comeback in school history? That's some pretty real realism you got going on there. :rolleyes:

I never said he didn't help in the comeback, but I don't see BBBXII giving stats and plays from the first 2.5 quarters. If he was part of the reason we won that game, then he was part of the reason we were in that hole. So, ya, realistic in what I see with my own eyes.

But you never mentioned the comeback, just the deficit. Reality is both, not one or the other.

Zoogies,

If we had Luck under center do you believe Nebraska would have won the MNC, or the CCG, or beat Wisconsin, Michigan and South Carolina. If you do then I understand how you think. If you don't, then you realize there are for more problems than Taylor.

I would like to see better play from our QB, but truly do not feel he will lose us games, may not be able to put the team on his back and win, but I doubt Luck or the Oregon kid could either with what they have to work with here.

I know we will never be able to know, but IMO I would say we definitely wouldn't have gotten drubbed in the Wiscy and Michigan games(would have been close loss or win in each), and I think we would have beat SC. I'm sorry, but Luck is one of the best college QBs ever. There would have been alot more to fear in Luck than TM and the teams would have really had to play pass first on defense. Think how our running game could open up with a great passer. I like a running offense just as much as the next guy, but I'm more a fan of the pro style run game with a good passer and play action. So basically I like watching Washinton and USCs offenses run. I would really like that kind of offense.

But you never mentioned the comeback, just the deficit. Reality is both, not one or the other.

I just mentioned both. He was part of the hole as much as the comeback. Am I reading something different than you? BTW, BBBXII never really mentioned the hole, just wanted to talk about the great comeback.

You have to have a line block for Luck, supposedly one of the best in college football at Stanford, you have to have WR's that actually catch nearly everything thrown at them them, which he did.

I truly doubt we would have finished any better, He could not beat Okie Lite which basically had no defense at all according to all the experts.

We have many problems, not just a QB problem. And all this tearing him down continously is doing no good. These kids read this crap unfortunately. Maybe it motivates, but I am sure it makes them wonder why they came to Nebraska at times.

Problems:

Inexperienced Head Coach, and most assitant coahces.

Youth on the team

Poor line play

One running back

Poor WR play

Lack of use of Tight Ends

Beginner OCoordinator

No real depth established at any position

No real offense, changes week to week

I think the defense will get better. If it does not improve a lot this year then we have have real coaching problems, these are Bo's recruits.

Lose a lot of experience this year.

Expecting a great season is the fans job no question, but being prepared for what might happen makes it a lot easier to take.

Still say 9-4 no matter who the QB is.

You have to have a line block for Luck, supposedly one of the best in college football at Stanford, you have to have WR's that actually catch nearly everything thrown at them them, which he did.

I truly doubt we would have finished any better, He could not beat Okie Lite which basically had no defense at all according to all the experts.

We have many problems, not just a QB problem. And all this tearing him down continously is doing no good. These kids read this crap unfortunately. Maybe it motivates, but I am sure it makes them wonder why they came to Nebraska at times.

Problems:

Youth on the team

Poor line play

One running back

Poor WR play

Lack of use of Tight Ends

Beginner OCoordinator

No real depth established at any position

No real offense, changes week to week

I think the defense will get better. If it does not improve a lot this year then we have have real coaching problems, these are Bo's recruits.

Lose a lot of experience this year.

Expecting a great season is the fans job no question, but being prepared for what might happen makes it a lot easier to take.

Still say 9-4 no matter who the QB is.

Problems:

Youth on the team-agreed

Poor line play-blanket statement...inconsistent o-line play in my opinion(the o-line did very well at times)

One running back-we utilized mainly Rex...but Ameer was showing flashes of solid RB play along with the other youth

Poor WR play-inconsistency once again...esp. in the catching dept. (at times they played great and won us key games)

Lack of use of Tight Ends-agree, but I don't think it's a huge factor as to why we lost 4 games

Beginner OCoordinator-agree, but I saw some good things

No real depth established at any position-how do you know that? are you basing that off of live games played? depth is also developed in practice

No real offense, changes week to week-do you mean we don't have an "identity?" or are you implying that the offense plays well then plays poorly? I think the kids need more time and Beck needs more time in the system before an "identity" is established. We do tend to run plenty of belly g option, read option out of shotgun, and power-toss plays, those seem like our bread n butter as of right now...

What I really see as the huge issue with the team is consistency....and I believe many of us can agree on that. Great teams are consistent and make little mistakes....and when mistakes are made, they can recover well.

CN, the question wasn't wether or not Taylor was responsible for us being in the deficit we were in in the first half against Ohio State--an argument which I would like to believe that he wasn't the reason as to why we were in the hole we were in.

The question was wether Taylor is a game changer...a guy who can change the game in the QB position. The plays I gave against Ohio State are only proof to the point that he can be a game changer.

Against Northwestern, when we were down 14-3, who and what got us back into the game? A 16 yard pass from Taylor Martinez to Tim Marlowe.

When we were down 21-10 into the fourth quarter and it was 3rd and 10 what got us the first down? Another pass from Taylor to Tim Marlowe

Same drive on another crucial 3rd and 3, who moves the chains? Taylor and Brandon Kinnie

Later on in the drive after Taylor is sacked and committed an intentional grounding penalty making it 2nd and goal from the 16 yard line what does he do? He finds Ben Cotton for 15 yards which sets up Burkhead's 1 yard TD run. BTW, Taylor converted the 2pt try to make it 21-18.

Again, down 28-18 and it's 4th and 2 with under 2:00 in the game, Taylor completes another pass to move the chains.

And Taylor completes a pass to Kenny Bell for another TD to get within a FG and still have a chance to prevent an upset.

Get my point now? BTW, Taylor's stat line in that game: 28/37, 289 Yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs

We need better improvements then last season, from start to finish there were none.

Disagree. The secondary got a lot better as the year went on. Perfect? No. But still significantly better.

I'm mean TMart only.

I still think you're wrong about that. TMart improved a lot as a game manager and as a passer this year. You realize that he went 10/16 passing vs probably the fastest defense we faced this year right? Those stats include 3 or 4 drops by our receivers. In addition to his passing, he was also effective in the running game.

You think he could have done that earlier in the year? It's a judgment call but I don't think so.

Big improvement from last season but not much from 2011-12

CN, the question wasn't wether or not Taylor was responsible for us being in the deficit we were in in the first half against Ohio State--an argument which I would like to believe that he wasn't the reason as to why we were in the hole we were in.

The question was wether Taylor is a game changer...a guy who can change the game in the QB position. The plays I gave against Ohio State are only proof to the point that he can be a game changer.

Against Northwestern, when we were down 14-3, who and what got us back into the game? A 16 yard pass from Taylor Martinez to Tim Marlowe.

When we were down 21-10 into the fourth quarter and it was 3rd and 10 what got us the first down? Another pass from Taylor to Tim Marlowe

Same drive on another crucial 3rd and 3, who moves the chains? Taylor and Brandon Kinnie

Later on in the drive after Taylor is sacked and committed an intentional grounding penalty making it 2nd and goal from the 16 yard line what does he do? He finds Ben Cotton for 15 yards which sets up Burkhead's 1 yard TD run. BTW, Taylor converted the 2pt try to make it 21-18.

Again, down 28-18 and it's 4th and 2 with under 2:00 in the game, Taylor completes another pass to move the chains.

And Taylor completes a pass to Kenny Bell for another TD to get within a FG and still have a chance to prevent an upset.

Get my point now? BTW, Taylor's stat line in that game: 28/37, 289 Yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs

But the plays he makes are few and far between usually. That stat line is a pretty common one in college football these days too. I just feel that a large number of QBs make similar plays in the same situations. There are more situations where Taylor was in a similar pressure situation and threw the ball behind the reciever, or bounced it in the dirt, or never saw the open guy, He is not a horrible QB, just a painfully average one, and teams with good and great QBs win the hardware.

Wrong again, the center Zoogies. lol

We seem to do this every year, a couple of weeks ago, this was the worst team in history so to speak, blah blah blah. We can play the games and see what happens, saying we have a realistic chance at MNC this year is star struck at the least. We have not won one for how long, with a far better teams than what this one is on paper. True anything can happen. But for some reason, my guess is by the start of fall practice, most will have bought into we are headed to the MNC. And when that does not happen, it will be Taylors, fault, Cottons fault, Becks fault and the sky will fall, just like it does every year.

It seems to me if you look at it what most likely happens this year, and try to live within those lines the year goes easier, and you do not lose your mind over it.

I never expect MNC, never even expect CCG's. Been to far removed, lost a lot of luster. If we do as well as we did this year, I will be somewhat happy. Lose a game more, not so happy would seem to be about right. Young team, young coaching staff, none really knowing their jobs. Less than top level talent and a pretty rough schedule.

9-4 is about as high as I see up being, that is if everything plays out right, no major injuries.

Ohio State will crush us. Michigan likewise I think, and will most likely lose another one between Michigan State, Wisky and Northwestern. Anything better I will be very happy. We lose in our bowl game again.

The next year we have it a little easier, and I look to see us improve then. Not until.

Now I have made my prediction and will stick with until the end of the season. Hopefully I will eat crow, unfortunately I have never had to on this board that I remember. Normally pretty close to what happens.

Now for the pie in sky group, make your predictiosn and we will see who ends up closer at the end of this year.

Reality is how it comes out.

LOL its months until fall practice even starts.... they have a new coach..... we beat them last year. its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to early to even think you have a clue as to how this game will turn out.

Wrong again, the center Zoogies. lol

We seem to do this every year, a couple of weeks ago, this was the worst team in history so to speak, blah blah blah. We can play the games and see what happens, saying we have a realistic chance at MNC this year is star struck at the least. We have not won one for how long, with a far better teams than what this one is on paper. True anything can happen. But for some reason, my guess is by the start of fall practice, most will have bought into we are headed to the MNC. And when that does not happen, it will be Taylors, fault, Cottons fault, Becks fault and the sky will fall, just like it does every year.

It seems to me if you look at it what most likely happens this year, and try to live within those lines the year goes easier, and you do not lose your mind over it.

I never expect MNC, never even expect CCG's. Been to far removed, lost a lot of luster. If we do as well as we did this year, I will be somewhat happy. Lose a game more, not so happy would seem to be about right. Young team, young coaching staff, none really knowing their jobs. Less than top level talent and a pretty rough schedule.

9-4 is about as high as I see up being, that is if everything plays out right, no major injuries.

Ohio State will crush us. Michigan likewise I think, and will most likely lose another one between Michigan State, Wisky and Northwestern. Anything better I will be very happy. We lose in our bowl game again.

The next year we have it a little easier, and I look to see us improve then. Not until.

Now I have made my prediction and will stick with until the end of the season. Hopefully I will eat crow, unfortunately I have never had to on this board that I remember. Normally pretty close to what happens.

Now for the pie in sky group, make your predictiosn and we will see who ends up closer at the end of this year.

Reality is how it comes out.

LOL its months until fall practice even starts.... they have a new coach..... we beat them last year. its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to early to even think you have a clue as to how this game will turn out.

But it is fair to assume that Bo will get out coached by Urban. The man has 3 undefeated seasons, and a pair of rings for a reason, and its at their house...