How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

Alright, I really hope this isn't construed as another T-Mart waste of a thread, but the idea just popped in my head as I am lying in bed...

What is our ceiling with T-Magic as the QB of this team? Now, I'm just going to make a big assumption here, but let's assume Taylor continues to slightly improve the next two years and becomes a very good game manager for us. It's probably safe to say that he will never be Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or even Graham Harrell chucking the ball around. If you feel that is not the case, I'd love to know why.

I just want to know... how high should we set our hopes for the next two years? Winning seasons and a decent bowl game? Conference Champions? BCS? National Champs??

A guy can hope.

Alright, I really hope this isn't construed as another T-Mart waste of a thread, but the idea just popped in my head as I am lying in bed...

What is our ceiling with T-Magic as the QB of this team? Now, I'm just going to make a big assumption here, but let's assume Taylor continues to slightly improve the next two years and becomes a very good game manager for us. It's probably safe to say that he will never be Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or even Graham Harrell chucking the ball around. If you feel that is not the case, I'd love to know why.

I just want to know... how high should we set our hopes for the next two years? Winning seasons and a decent bowl game? Conference Champions? BCS? National Champs??

A guy can hope.

decent game managers don't win championships.....it takes a little more than that......i guess we are at the point where having a decent game manager at qb is our goal.....excuse me while i puke!

A guy can hope.

decent game managers don't win championships.....it takes a little more than that......i guess we are at the point where having a decent game manager at qb is our goal.....excuse me while i puke!

It works for Bama. It would have worked for LSU if they were smart enough to actually put their good game manager in at QB in the title game.

Defense wins championships, buddy. TM is more than good enough to help us win a NC, as long as we have a good defense and a good O-Line.

• Fire 1

A guy can hope.

I hate it when people think that by saying someone is our best option to win, that that is suddenly "our goal" at the position. We all would like to have a QB that is a game-changer, but right now, Taylor is our best option to win games. And you must not have seen Bama's two national title wins recently with game managers at QB. The only difference is that Bama has a better supporting cast. Taylor is just one player, and we need a lot more than just him to compete for championships.

• Fire 1

A guy can hope.

It works for Bama. It would have worked for LSU if they were smart enough to actually put their good game manager in at QB in the title game.

Defense wins championships, buddy. TM is more than good enough to help us win a NC, as long as we have a good defense and a good O-Line.

Without question.

A guy can hope.

Without question.

sorry not even close, a good game manager doesn't put the ball on the ground 26 times in a season, in fact, one of the best attributes of a good game manger is a qb who takes care of the ball......sorry, TM comes up way short in this criteria.

For me the question is whether he can get that step he lost back. He should develop mentally and improve in his execution of the option game. He should also improve his passing-game, but he'll never be a particularly good passer. He needs that take-it-to-the-house ability that got him the job in the first place.

• Fire 1

For me the question is whether he can get that step he lost back. He should develop mentally and improve in his execution of the option game. He should also improve his passing-game, but he'll never be a particularly good passer. He needs that take-it-to-the-house ability that got him the job in the first place.

Martinez' best runs this year came out of the shotgun formation. I don't think he's tenured enough in the traditional option attack to be successful. And we honestly don't have a staff, I think, that's tenured enough to teach the traditional option anyways, even if Tom Osborne is the open book of knowledge everybody from here to Western Nebraska claims him to be.

The only real way to get Martinez into his groove is let him run out of the shotgun formation. It spaces defenders out, gives him more room to see the running lanes, and allows him a couple of extra steps to gain speed. He just doesn't have that quickness when running the traditional option that you'd like, and I think the stacked defenders (in conjunction with the lateral movement) is a challenge for him.

That's not to say he can't get better, but I like shotgun Martinez way more than under center Martinez.