How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

The difference between Ganz/Taylor and Martinez are the pieces they had around them offensively. Ganz, specifically, had at least two linemen that went to the NFL that year (Murtha/Slauson), a much better receiving corp (Swift, Pederson) and a guy like Mike McNeil who played pretty well in '08. I also think our '08 line was the most consistent/best line we've had in Pelini's tenure. They also had Lucky and Helu, and although Lucky never hit his potential here, both of those guys were far more experienced than our Burkhead/freshman running trio this last year.

I think a lot of the Martinez dislike comes down to his character, but I might be a little off base. I think some people mistake his lackadaisical demeanor and quiet tendencies with an "I don't care" attitude, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Heh, that's no kidding...just imagine if we had Swift & Peterson the last couple of years. Erasing the average 3 or 4 drops a game "really" could have made a difference. Lucky out of the backfield had glue hands too. Not a great "running" back but he could catch the ball.

Z. Lee would have loved to have had them too. Oh well......

The one thing we have now at the skill positions, that we didn't have a lot of in '08, was speed. But that speed is only part of the equation, as the other parts have yet to be refined. Swift or Pederson with Bell/Turner speed would have been scary cool. Lucky was very reliable out of the backfield, but Ganz was definitely a more refined passer than Martinez is (and probably ever will be). Checking down to the running back can take some time in a progression.

Next year's team will be better than the '95 team! GBR!!

i just hope they are better than the '11 team (which was obviously better than the '95 team, not as good as the '09 team, though).

I'm not sure how they couldn't be as good as the '11 team. We have a 2 year starter coming back at QB that can run really fast in a straight line. That's all you need to be an effective game manager at the DONU and win National Championships.

Next year has vision of '07 all over it. Stagnant offense with an atrocious defense. Does anyone think we will win more games next year as opposed to this year?

Southern Miss - W

@UCLA - L

Arkansas State (reminds me off Ball State '07) - W

TBA - Some scrub Sun Belt Team which Taylor Martinez will generate half his rushing yards/TDs for the season against - W

Wisconsin - L

@Ohio State - Embarrassing Loss

@Northwestern - L (if we can't beat them here, not sure how we are going to go on the road and keep Coulter under 500 yards of total offensive)

Michigan - L

Michigan State - Toss Up

Penn State - W

Minnesota - W

Iowa - Toss Up

8-4 is probably the best scenario for next year, 6-6 would not surprise me. I just don't see how we improve on 9 wins with what we have coming back.

Next year's team will be better than the '95 team! GBR!!

i just hope they are better than the '11 team (which was obviously better than the '95 team, not as good as the '09 team, though).

I'm not sure how they couldn't be as good as the '11 team. We have a 2 year starter coming back at QB that can run really fast in a straight line. That's all you need to be an effective game manager at the DONU and win National Championships.

Next year has vision of '07 all over it. Stagnant offense with an atrocious defense. Does anyone think we will win more games next year as opposed to this year?

Southern Miss - W

@UCLA - L

Arkansas State (reminds me off Ball State '07) - W

TBA - Some scrub Sun Belt Team which Taylor Martinez will generate half his rushing yards/TDs for the season against - W

Wisconsin - L

@Ohio State - Embarrassing Loss

@Northwestern - L (if we can't beat them here, not sure how we are going to go on the road and keep Coulter under 500 yards of total offensive)

Michigan - L

Michigan State - Toss Up

Penn State - W

Minnesota - W

Iowa - Toss Up

8-4 is probably the best scenario for next year, 6-6 would not surprise me. I just don't see how we improve on 9 wins with what we have coming back.

You're somethin' else... If we lose to UCLA, I will be on the breaking point of not caring the rest of the season. If we lose to NW again, I don't even know what I'll do, but I'll feel pretty empty inside... Unless NW is really good next year and makes a run at the B1G title... Which won't happen, so your post is just a half-full glass of crap

Lets leave next year's predictions out of this. This thread is about conjecture and how this team would be light years better with another quarterback, despite poor line play, receivers who drop balls, a defense with little pass rush....

Ahh, who am I kidding. Martinez' fault.

Lets leave next year's predictions out of this. This thread is about conjecture and how this team would be light years better with another quarterback, despite poor line play, receivers who drop balls, a defense with little pass rush....

Ahh, who am I kidding. Martinez' fault.

well said. t-mart's not perfect, no one thinks he is, but obviously he is a lesser problem than the litany of problems mentioned by enhance.