How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

knapplc,

I met him over the hoidays, as stated before, one of my close friends went to high school with Taylor's dad. He stated that he is quite humble, more shy than anything, not at all how he comes accross. I asked him about the forum, and he is aware of them. No negative comment about them, and understands fans love of Nebraska, and wants to do better for the fans, no matter what Bo's comments maybe about the fans, needed or not. Nice kid. Promised me a signed copy of the SI cover, hope it happens.

One thing I see on this board, if someone does not fall in line with the standard thoughts they are considered not a fan, and are attacked in a way. All of are Nebraska fans, and want what is best for Nebraska. Input should be taken as information or thought, not an attack.

My feelings are we have a lot of problems, and Taylor's play is the most visibile, we do not see the reason the WR's drop the balls, why the oline misses the blocks, fails to protect, what we see is an incomplete pass, a sack and that seems to go directly to Taylor and his bad play or good. He is the center of attention of every fan, because as Knapplc stated most of us are not that bright on real football knowlege. We love our team and only want the best for them.

This seems to turn into a war at times, and there really is no need for it. Listen to what is said, and try to learn from everyone. Some deliver their thoughts better than others, but very seldom do the posts actually attack the program, the coach or the player. Observations from one side can be different from the other side.

The coaches, the players are all trying to do the best they can. Nothing less is my guess.

One thing I see on this board, if someone does not fall in line with the standard thoughts they are considered not a fan, and are attacked in a way. All of are Nebraska fans, and want what is best for Nebraska. Input should be taken as information or thought, not an attack.

The issue that I have with this is that there are people who post here (and other boards) who ONLY bitch about the team, the coaches, certain players, etc. If people moderated their posting with a little criticism and a little praise it would be different. But when the ONLY, and I am not exaggerating - ONLY! - things some people post are negative, then they deserve to get called out.

You can label that "attacking" if you want. That's an unnecessarily inflammatory phrase, but if that's what you want to use, I'm not going to stop you. I call it being a fan, and defending the team I profess to root for. I find it ironic, in light of past Taylor Martinez threads, that you would complain that posters are being "attacked" without also calling out those who have, vehemently and without question, attacked Martinez.

The good thing is, those kinds of posters are in the minority. They just tend to post a lot.

Bottom line is he is the face of the program like it or not. His position is one that is clearly visible on every offensive snap. If there is a fumble in the backfield, folks look at the exchange between center and QB, QB and RB. Passes dropped folks look at the delivery, acuracy etc....

Would this thread have lasted 11 pages if someone asked, "How good could we be if the receivers only had 4 drops per game"? "How good could we be if the D line actually got a push?"

My point being that there are so many problems . A whole lot more than just Martinez. I am not a huge fan, but he has improved in his ability to make better decisions, less fumbles and be a "better manager". I would like to see the staff use his abilities instead of how he has been used this year. I really hope that Beck looks at film and sees what Martinez excelled at and what crap needs to be scrapped. I would rather see Martinez have about 20 plays he and the O can run cold against any D and make them work. Better play calling that would get play makers involved and continue to help take pressure off Martinez to "be the man" and simply be a part of the plan instead of THE PLAN.

Receivers catching the ball would also improve this team dramatically perhaps more so than Martinez learning proper mechanics. Imagine a D that could actually get/generate a TO or a blitz or a TFL or a sack. Where would we be. When we are having walk-ons start, converting WR's to DB and now Heard to a DB, that really says we have some glaring issues. Not just Martinez, but across the board. Caputo, now gone, leaves a vacancy where we have not one guy with a meaningful snap at center in 3 yrs. Folks talk about the B1G D lines being som big. Imagine how a first year center will feel next year with his first road test being the 'Shoe. Again, IMO, another glaring issue. I have made Martinez the focus of my scorn at times, but when you look behind the curtain, he might be the least of and most easily fixed issues we have.

Not ignoring the rest of your post, lo, but this is kind of the theme of this page so I'd like to respond to it...

Would this thread have lasted 11 pages if someone asked, "How good could we be if the receivers only had 4 drops per game"? "How good could we be if the D line actually got a push?"

So the collective ignorance of everyone going on and on and on and on about the QB makes it OK to have a thread like this? I do not accept that.

We all have egos here. We all purport to know a thing or two about the subject. But we don't. I'm brave enough to admit it, Chris has too. All it takes is for people (me included, I don't get off Scot free here) to accept that threads like this exist not because we truly have a QB who is the problem, but because the errors the QB makes are the only ones we're bright enough to point out.

From there we need a collective willingness to better ourselves and learn so that we don't have these silly threads. I'm more than willing to help with that process (the learning bit). I'll help spearhead an "online class" where we learn more about football, together. We have coaches here at HuskerBoard who could help. There are books, there are websites, there are a thousand resources. The fact that we go on and on about the quarterback isn't because the game is beyond any of us, it's because we're simply not educating ourselves.

Let's change that.

• Fire 2

Not ignoring the rest of your post, lo, but this is kind of the theme of this page so I'd like to respond to it...

So the collective ignorance of everyone going on and on and on and on about the QB makes it OK to have a thread like this? I do not accept that.

We all have egos here. We all purport to know a thing or two about the subject. But we don't. I'm brave enough to admit it, Chris has too. All it takes is for people (me included, I don't get off Scot free here) to accept that threads like this exist not because we truly have a QB who is the problem, but because the errors the QB makes are the only ones we're bright enough to point out.

From there we need a collective willingness to better ourselves and learn so that we don't have these silly threads. I'm more than willing to help with that process (the learning bit). I'll help spearhead an "online class" where we learn more about football, together. We have coaches here at HuskerBoard who could help. There are books, there are websites, there are a thousand resources. The fact that we go on and on about the quarterback isn't because the game is beyond any of us, it's because we're simply not educating ourselves.

Let's change that.

No worries. My point about your highlighted section, at least I think, is in agreement with your post. Martinez is an easy target. It is easy to look at his "issues" real or not, but very few here can dissect the plays well enough to see if the O line performed correctly, or the D line contained their gap or scraped to soon etc...... Did the safety fail to cover the top in a cover 2 D. Who the he$$ can really even tell what type of zone or coverage our DB;s were even in. Maybe David audibled based on RB movement that coincided with film study or that in a certain down and distance the QB has a propensity to throw a certain way.

For me it is easy to see a dropped pass or fumble, missed tackle etc than it is to dissect proper gap coverage or secondary coverage etc......

Fans being fans can watch the same game and same player and have a different opinion as this thread has shown. We have all watched Martinez (as an example) for two years and folks have some polar opposite views for sure.

If you notice knapplc, I very seldom respond in an aggressive mood. I understand how passionate people are. I have lost the passion at that level. I just want what is best for the program. I defend Taylor, just I did Lee, and Lord and others, not so much for Keller. I never felt he should have come here.

And as stated some do not get their point accross the best, that being me. The attacking can be both ways. I do not defend anyone that attacks the program, or the coaching staff and especially the players. I try not to post negatives in just being negative, I post what I think I see and what the out come will be. Unfortunately I do not see the positives that alot see for this team. I am afraid tomorrow is not going to be the golden goose some are expecting.

I have defended Taylor every step of the way. Still do not feel he has healed from the ankle injury and it is slowing him down, not only physically, but mentally. The coaching has affected his play as well. He truly must be all we have at QB that can do the job, as he is nothing like he was last year as far as running the ball.

Hope that clears it up Knapplc.

I can't remember a single time where someone has come out on this site and made a personal attack on Taylor.

lol

Wow. Maybe the Dude should be questioning how much thought you put into your comments. That was a pretty weak retort.

Sometimes somebody says something so completely ridiculous you can't help but just laugh literally out loud. This was one of those times. I don't see the issue here.

I can't remember a single time where someone has come out on this site and made a personal attack on Taylor.

LOL