DT Toby Johnson *

Nexus

“I really like to make a decision soon," he said, "but there are still schools offering me. I know Florida State is getting ready to offer me, Florida State, Arizona State and hopefully Alabama, but I have not talked to them yet.”

Having played high school football in Georgia, Johnson says that UGA is on his radar.

“I like Georgia a lot," Johnson said. "Me and Coach (Rodney) Garner are still trying to build our relationship. I think me and Coach are going to have a good relationship."

Johnson has not taken any official visits yet, but he knows a few schools that will get them.

“I know Georgia, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ole Miss, and I will decide on that fifth one,” he said. "It will probably be USC or Miami, but I have not made up my mind yet.”

USC? ..are you freaking kidding me. He has open dates on Nov 17th Minnesota game, and Sept 22 Idaho State, if we can get him to come back here for one of those dates, our chances will be pretty good. Keep in mind this was an interview by a Georgia analyist.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a must get IMO

I don't completely agree with this. VV and Curry are tearing it up in fall camp right now and are making a strong push for early playing time. So I would say that this would be a very good get, but not a must.

I don't completely agree with this! If it comes down to a couple teams to get a guy like this and you're lucky enough to be one of them, you must land him! Doesn't matter how talented and deep you are at his position! Continuing to recruit these guys is exactly HOW you got deep at his position in the first place. GBR!

This is a must get IMO

I don't completely agree with this. VV and Curry are tearing it up in fall camp right now and are making a strong push for early playing time. So I would say that this would be a very good get, but not a must.

I don't completely agree with this! If it comes down to a couple teams to get a guy like this and you're lucky enough to be one of them, you must land him! Doesn't matter how talented and deep you are at his position! Continuing to recruit these guys is exactly HOW you got deep at his position in the first place. GBR!

I didn't say that we don't want him or that we shouldn't recruit him. Landing him would be awesome. But I think that when you say that he is a "must" means that if we don't get him then we are in trouble. And if we don't end up getting him, then we will still be ok at the DT position.

This is a must get IMO

I didn't say that we don't want him or that we shouldn't recruit him. Landing him would be awesome. But I think that when you say that he is a "must" means that if we don't get him then we are in trouble. And if we don't end up getting him, then we will still be ok at the DT position.

Gotta land one or two of these type kids every year! Especially at that position.

Agree with Sandland being a must. During the offseason i thought Toby or a JUCO DT was a must but im not so sure with whats coming out of fall camp. Obviously we could really use him, but i dont think we absolutely need him anymore like i have thought. Especially if Peat gets healthy. I think a JUCO OT or 2 is almost a must. We are JUCOing up the secondary all the time, we really need some immediate help on the line, i wish we could pick up top level jucos for the line like we do for the secondary and let our younger talent develop another few years. This year would be a perfect time to bring in a juco OT or 2. Qvale Arod and Sirles are all Juniors and thats all our depth with Sterup and Givens Price developing ......thats it, SCARY.... beside some walkons maybe. We are paper thin, and thats without injuries.

Ot is obviously a big need, but I'm leery about jucos there. Jucos ae great for defense, as you rely, to some extent, on athletic ability more on tha side of the ball. That's why most of our juco succes stories are on defense. Even hardrick, who was highly touted, only really gave us one good year. One of callahans biggest mistakes was littering the roster with too many jucos on offense. Obviously a few worked out (Taylor, purify), but way, way more didn't.

This is not to say I wouldn't take another hardrick, but the kid better look stellar to even consider another juco OL.

Also, I'm leery about peat ever getting over his back issues. Reminds me of Brandon teamer. A bad back does not mesh well the rigors of being a defensive lineman. One of the reasons I would definitely take a good juco dt if we can get one.